Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team

Re: When do you think Saban will retire?

I've worked in the media for 21 years, the first 7 of it in Alabama and Mississippi. I know a lot of people in the B'ham/T-town media now. Don't like labeling a guy, but it's true in his case: Raita is an AU hack. Has been for years. And was miserable last year when Alabama got back into the title game. I'm sure part of this is him doing his job, but don't think he doesn't want it to happen.

FWIW, I believe Mrs. Saban. I don't think Nick is going anywhere until he heads to that lake he's talked about.

2. Advertisement

Raita was not the reporter. Jeff Speegle was the one reporting the news, both evening and night. He reported tonight their source was the Boston Globe. I think it is just speculaton.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I would seriously doubt any exit from Saban at this juncture. I think it is too late in his career to go to the NFL. You have a 3-4 year window in the NFL and he could easily be looking at his last job whether he goes out on top or not. Furthermore, if his wife doesn't want to leave...I doubt he will be persuaded.

BamaNation Second Team scoretide's Avatar

Saban Retires or is found dead in his office FROM WATCHING TO MUCH FILM ! Kirby smart takes over if either happens! Bank it !!!!
    "saban has awoken a sleeping GIANT"

BamaNation Third Team

My apologies for pinning it on Raita. I know who Jeff is, but I don't know him personally.
    I don't apologize for calling Raita an Auburn hack.
    Coach Saban rules.
    That is all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I know Coach Saban has stated he enjoys the challenge of building up football programs..I have no doubt he truly meant that..But..He's also been labeled a job hopping liar by the media by so..At some point he has to quit taking different jobs to truly build his "Legacy" as a college HC..That's why I have no fears of him leaving Bama for another rebuilding challenge..His challenge now is to build "Legacy" as a college HC..Not the challenge of rebuilding another football program in college or in the NFL..

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

Coach Saban's dad died at an early age . As someone who lost their dad at 16 , I know how this can color your view of life and mortality . This could be one of the reasons he is so driven . Like everything else , I'm sure he has a plan for his retirement and that probably includes his successor . rtr...

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

The Boston Globe article was speculating he would be the top candidate because of who the new likely GM in Cleveland will be... FWIW they also brought up Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels...

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone46 View Post
    Even if it is Jan 10, 2013, Kirby would take over and we wouldn't miss a beat. I wouldn't worry.
    I don't know how anyone could possibly think this way.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    The Boston Globe article was speculating he would be the top candidate because of who the new likely GM in Cleveland will be... FWIW they also brought up Chip Kelly and Josh McDaniels...
    We can't help that others think CNS might be good for their organization. I guess it comes with the territory when you have a wildly successful person running your organization.

Didn't see the 33/40 segment, but I have no problem with them reporting the "news" but it would also make sense to report the details about it's source which makes this "news" nothing more than "somebody's pipe dream."

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think it all depends on his health. If his health holds up, I don not believe he can turn loose in four more years. That probably will prevent Smart's getting a tryout as HC...
    Coach Saban = Coach Bryant in today's more competitive/balanced playing field. We hired what will be one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the game, much of that is luck. He took his LSU performance and went into another gear. I don't believe Coach Moore knew that his peers were mainly deceased, instead of other coaches in the SEC. If he did, I doubt Rod would have been offered.

We just disagree on mental vs physical. Imo, he will be physically healthy when he retires. When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.

Coach is not one to build a tower and let his assistants do the job. Coach Bryant probably would have retired after the 79 season if not for the record. The foundation he built allowed him to set things on cruise control

Ans on foundations, it makes no sense, at-least for me to dismantle the current system in place. Tow other Coach Saban coordinators went to UF and FSU as rookies, why should Coach Smart be different. And another point that I believe will be mentioned in 4 years or so when Coach Saban retires...........don's make the mistake of not listening to the masters. Coach Bryant wanted Stallings, This is significant, comparing Coach Smart to Dubose is not. One was the masses choice, the other the master. If Coach Saban wants Coach Smart, why not? There is going to be a heck of a shadow left by CNS and Kirby would embrace it like coach Stalling did. Or we could hire a coach to tear down ever poster in the complex that says "Process" and compare his every move to Coach Saban until he runs away or is canned first.

I do find it interesting after finding no one to agree in my believe that Coach Smart has become the d-facto coach in waiting (in-house, classified) that Terry Saban does an interview and speaks of how much she and Coach Saban believe the program would continue it machine like ways if he was promoted.

I have found that some can't distinguish between in-house and public coach in waiting, that the ills of the public one would be the same for the former. There is a huge one, first it doesn't a 2nd string quarterback situation that we are familiar with and second, it can change without any negative press. For instance if the Georgia job cam open. And 3rd you won't have to read about "when" all season long ever season. Big difference.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

Capstone, it really doesn't matter if someone agrees with your "gut feeling" on a message board. You've laid out a reasonable explanation of your thoughts, which, for the record, I don't disagree with.

However, unless you or somebody on this board knows CNS and has spoken with him recently about this, we have nothing to go on regarding CNS's tenure or CKS's status as a private coach in waiting.

Also, I don't think too much can be made about Terry's recent interview. Not that I don't believe her, but what is she supposed to say?

Again, I appreciate your comments and like I said, I don't really disagree, but don't worry if others don't feel the same when we are all just speculating.

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    We just disagree on mental vs physical. Imo, he will be physically healthy when he retires. When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.
    I'm guessing we've been watching two different teams, as based on talent / experience vs performance, the 2012 version of the Crimson Tide might be the best coaching I've ever seen from anyone, anywhere. This team doesn't have the same talent / experience combo as the last three years yet we're right back in the same spot we've been in two of the last three. Remember, even CNS says the 2010 team was the most physically gifted team he ever coached.

I'm not sure what some expect from the coaches, but the overall job coaching this year has been simply spectacular when you look at how young the team is and how many injuries we've had at key positions - and despite that we're back in the BCSCG, already favored everywhere I've looked.

I see 2012 as the peak of his coaching career so far, personally - how effective he is as head coach - how mentally sharp and driven, if you will - isn't just measured in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!