Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: When do you think Saban will retire?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I'm guessing we've been watching two different teams, as based on talent / experience vs performance, the 2012 version of the Crimson Tide might be the best coaching I've ever seen from anyone, anywhere. This team doesn't have the same talent / experience combo as the last three years yet we're right back in the same spot we've been in two of the last three. Remember, even CNS says the 2010 team was the most physically gifted team he ever coached.

I'm not sure what some expect from the coaches, but the overall job coaching this year has been simply spectacular when you look at how young the team is and how many injuries we've had at key positions - and despite that we're back in the BCSCG, already favored everywhere I've looked.

I see 2012 as the peak of his coaching career so far, personally - how effective he is as head coach - how mentally sharp and driven, if you will - isn't just measured in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned...
    Absolutely. This coaching job has been tremendous. We have some major weaknesses, and we've covered them through fantastic scheming and coaching up players.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

This thread is the perfect place for people to project their own thoughts and biases onto others and make largely unfounded predictions.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team

Cowherd on his show this morning predicted CS to NFL soon. Maybe Browns next year. Hope not. But stay or leave, he sure has given Bama back the mojo. You couldn't leave a program in better shape. But I think he stays. He has things going just like he wants them. Why leave?

BamaNation First Team Roll Tide 00's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive1 on TideFans.com

I can't believe Cowherd always runs with these silly rumors.He can keep dreaming.I think the more people throw this stuff around the more Nick wants nothing to do with it.Instead of these yahoos starting a fire they are really putting it out before it gets started.
    Last edited by Roll Tide 00; December 10th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Coach Saban = Coach Bryant in today's more competitive/balanced playing field. We hired what will be one of the top 5 coaches in the history of the game, much of that is luck. He took his LSU performance and went into another gear. I don't believe Coach Moore knew that his peers were mainly deceased, instead of other coaches in the SEC. If he did, I doubt Rod would have been offered.

We just disagree on mental vs physical. Imo, he will be physically healthy when he retires. When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.

Coach is not one to build a tower and let his assistants do the job. Coach Bryant probably would have retired after the 79 season if not for the record. The foundation he built allowed him to set things on cruise control

Ans on foundations, it makes no sense, at-least for me to dismantle the current system in place. Tow other Coach Saban coordinators went to UF and FSU as rookies, why should Coach Smart be different. And another point that I believe will be mentioned in 4 years or so when Coach Saban retires...........don's make the mistake of not listening to the masters. Coach Bryant wanted Stallings, This is significant, comparing Coach Smart to Dubose is not. One was the masses choice, the other the master. If Coach Saban wants Coach Smart, why not? There is going to be a heck of a shadow left by CNS and Kirby would embrace it like coach Stalling did. Or we could hire a coach to tear down ever poster in the complex that says "Process" and compare his every move to Coach Saban until he runs away or is canned first.

I do find it interesting after finding no one to agree in my believe that Coach Smart has become the d-facto coach in waiting (in-house, classified) that Terry Saban does an interview and speaks of how much she and Coach Saban believe the program would continue it machine like ways if he was promoted.

I have found that some can't distinguish between in-house and public coach in waiting, that the ills of the public one would be the same for the former. There is a huge one, first it doesn't a 2nd string quarterback situation that we are familiar with and second, it can change without any negative press. For instance if the Georgia job cam open. And 3rd you won't have to read about "when" all season long ever season. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I'm guessing we've been watching two different teams, as based on talent / experience vs performance, the 2012 version of the Crimson Tide might be the best coaching I've ever seen from anyone, anywhere. This team doesn't have the same talent / experience combo as the last three years yet we're right back in the same spot we've been in two of the last three. Remember, even CNS says the 2010 team was the most physically gifted team he ever coached.

I'm not sure what some expect from the coaches, but the overall job coaching this year has been simply spectacular when you look at how young the team is and how many injuries we've had at key positions - and despite that we're back in the BCSCG, already favored everywhere I've looked.

I see 2012 as the peak of his coaching career so far, personally - how effective he is as head coach - how mentally sharp and driven, if you will - isn't just measured in the W/L column as far as I'm concerned...
    100% misunderstood my post. It meant nothing related to his performance as a coach and all about his will to continue coaching. The "Slow Slide" and "Peak" are related to my perceived thoughts about his content with coaching, not the teams performance. Since I laid that out at the beginning, I read it that way.

When the fun can't counter balance the weight, he will let us know the end is near, and I am already detecting a slow slide. The 2009 SECCG was the peak, although it peaked for an extended period.
    His age, accomplishments, wife's statements recently, that it's more enjoyable to build than maintain, fans expectation and more all go into my reasoning.

I am not a stupid fan, and would not imply garbage like that. That the team is going south?
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 10th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonBeachBum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideWatcher View Post
    Cowherd on his show this morning predicted CS to NFL soon. Maybe Browns next year. Hope not. But stay or leave, he sure has given Bama back the mojo. You couldn't leave a program in better shape. But I think he stays. He has things going just like he wants them. Why leave?
    I was listening to the same show earlier this morning and Colin made, what seems like some valid points. Referenced the Browns' new owner offering CS a percentage in ownership of the team along with the larger salary. Also referenced CS' youthfulness and drive to succeed. I' too hope that nothing becomes of this and that CS sticks around another 5 -6 years as Bama's HC. However, you do have to realize that men like CS are challenge -driven and if he does get that 4th NC next month, he may conclude that there's not much else left to do or prove on the college FB level and head back to the NFL. I would be tickeled to be wrong.
    "You got any biscuits fer sale in-nare?" "Reckin what you like to eat in-nare?"

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If I remember correctly, CNS works directly for the UA President, instead of Coach Moore. But it could be that Coach Moore's eventual retirement could influence how long CNS stays there. Or possibly, how long the UA President stays there. If he had to work with a new AD, or for a new President, who knows how that would come out? Remember why Coach Stallings retired?
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation All-SEC

The link below is from Saturdaydownsouth, and they posted a story about the possibility of Saban going to the browns as well...

hopefully nothing comes of it, but you never knowtheres a lot of money in the NFL, and a chance to prove something once again....

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/201...veland-browns/

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Why is this thread still up??? Every year around this time it's the same question or rumors about Saban going to Texas, the Cowboys, or the Browns etc... He is already rich out of his mind. At this point in his life it's just about being happy and according to his wife they are very happy where they are at right now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This has happened yearly since he's gotten Alabama back to prominence. I'll believe it when I see it.

BamaNation All-SEC

Some of these posts really disgust me. No one knows exactly what will happen with Saban, but I do know the more we talk about it, the more wings these rumors gets. It could be Notre Dame fans or Auburn fans starting rumors and giving the media legs to carry it bigger. That can be a distraction to our team. This will be the only time I post on this thread so I don't contribute to the insanity. Meanwhile the ND and AU fans are sitting back laughing and smiling.
    The only time money matters to people is when they don't have enough. I would say Saban has enough money to take care of his family, extended family, charity fund, and whatever else he wants to do. I don't think he makes decisions based on money anymore. He talks about making a difference in young kids. That is his passion. that was Bear's passion. You can't do that in the NFL.
    Let's cool it on this topic please.

BamaNation First Team

faninOS,
    CNS works under Coach Mal Moore although it was President Bob Witt who approved the hiring contract. CNS is close to former president Witt. They are kindred spirits. Dr. Witt has moved up recently to the chancellor position for the entire University system. He was on stage with CNS for the SEC trophy presentation but for the first time CNS only thanked the "administration" for their support and did not mention Dr. Witt by name. There is no doubt in my mind that CNS misses Dr. Witt as president of the University. They are very similar and both are very driven to succeed at everything they do.

BamaNation All-SEC

me too.

Coach Saban will be on every short list just because he's proven that he can build a program...

Under the right situation (control over personnel decisions, etc..) he might entertain the possibility...
    This is a rumor, but i did hear that there were possibly some stock considerations...

hopefully he's stays at Bama until he decides to retire, but you never know.