When do you think Saban will retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Oh - so Chris Carter sets them straight and a reporter ( Greenberg) then tells us he didn't even know what question Terry was answering. Oh and then Golic tells what she said about retirement.

Pot stirring folks - nothing to see here.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I was just watching Mike and Mike, they were speculating that CNS would be back in the NFL soon. They had a soundbite from Terry Saban about how winning is more relief than joy. Then they had Chris Carter on and he set them straight on things. CC said that after talking to coach and running clinics at Bama, CNS is very happy in Tuscaloosa. He may not show it, but he is.
I was wondering after listening to that interview that Earle posted with Terry if people were going to run with that statement. Of course they're also ignoring the fact that right around the same time in the interview she emphatically talked about how happy they (and especially her) were here.

All she was doing was saying that building the program is more fun/rewarding than maintaining it. If anything you'd think they'd use that to speculate that he'd want to take a rebuilding college job, not an NFL one.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
AJC says Boston Globe reporting, Saban may go to Browns.

[Before this post, my subject read: "... is reporting ..." My plan to delete "is" went awry. Therefore, others posting to my comment have ireporting in subject area.] :eek:

Report: Cleveland Browns may lure Saban back to NFL

Alabama’s Nick Saban could become the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, the Boston Globe is reporting.

It’s far from a done deal, and a number of pieces would have to fall into place, but the Globe said on Monday that if the Browns hire Michael

Lombardi as general manager as rumored, the door could be open to bringing in Saban as head coach. Saban and Lombardi, who is currently an analyst for the NFL Network, worked together for the Cleveland Browns in the early ’90s, where Saban was defensive coordinator and Lombardi was player personnel director.

They're just trying to sell a few newspapers to our rivals - Viles & Barners. Ms Terry would veto, in a heartbeat!

I searched the Boston Globe site. Found nothing of sort.

Last edited:

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: AJC says Boston Globe ireporting, Saban may go to Browns.

Coach Saban may jump off a bridge too. And AUtigers.com may try to persuade us all to become tiger fans, and the AJC may report it. Nothing is really established other than the motives of everyone else but the subject(s).

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

I'm not surprised Mike and Mike tried to run with this BS. Mike Golic's son is a starting offensive lineman for Notre Dame. He's doing his best to create a distraction and stir up drama.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

If this story dies, then Auburn will need to concoct another dreary lie about Toomer's Corner.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

The talking heads need something to talk about, so they invent something when they can't come up with something major to discuss. Much ado about nothing.

Coach Saban isn't probably going anywhere except back to his house on the lake. I think you'll see him retire when he's had two or three down years (8 wins or less), but not until then. I really don't believe he's going to go back up North and try to rebuild a stumbling Brown's program, no matter what the talking heads think. However, I'm sure there will be offers from several NFL teams in the years to come.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Saban has been the subject of rumors every year he's been here. But this is the only year the media picked it up and ran with it. It's also the only year that we're meeting Notre Dame for the title. Oh - and not only is Mike Golic a ND grad but his son plays for the Irish. The owner stirred this pot prior to the Vols game - oh he just happens to be a Tennessee guy.

"Hey let's create a distraction for Alabama. There's nothing they can do. If Saban denies it we will play the old Dolphins video; if he says nothing we will ask why he won't deny it."

And maybe if he stays then they'll be so distracted that the Irish win. While hardly a conspiracy theorist, it's amazing that these never hit the big news before. CNS was going to WVA, LSU, on and on.....
This stuff crops up at this time of year because college football is at a lull and NFL coaches start getting fired.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL

Will say this about the folks who claim that because Saban has "been there and tried that", that he will automatically dismiss the option of going back to the League. A large amount of CNS's frustration at Miami came because he wasn't in full control of player personnel decisions... regardless of what might have been said publicly. At least on one occasion, Saban was choosing between two FA players at the same position and after Saban indicated his choice, the front office "creatively" found a way for the guy to be nixed... leaving Saban with his least-desired pick of the two. From what I know, that was one of the primary reasons he was so willing to leave... and might would be a reason why he might try it again one day IF the right scenario was available.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
And whatever place I saw the "Saban to Browns" story has pulled it. I can't find it anywhere now. Just goes to show you...
http://nesn.com/2012/12/report-browns-trying-to-lure-michael-lombardi-to-be-general-manager-nick-saban-to-coach/

This link? Tennessee fans have been telling me since October that Haslem is offering Saban 7-10 mil/year through back channels. supposedly this is all coming from him telling a few big money boosters that he spent a billion dollars on the Browns, he was going after the best coach available. Of course, this would help the Vols as well, at least with their Psyche.

why would a Boston newspaper have inside scoop on an Ohio NFL team and an Alabama coach? I think rehashing old info has really stirred the pot

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Serious question here about the NFL: How many roster changes through the draft, trade or free agency can a team/coach make each year?

Does it exceed 25?

I'm pretty sure this is one of the many reasons that CNS likes college football. He has so much direct control/impact each and every year.

Now, the Auburn folks might be right (for the first time ever) and he might want to redeem himself in the NFL, but if he leaves at least we've been to the mountain top again and the program is on the most solid ground since the late 70's.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This stuff crops up at this time of year because college football is at a lull and NFL coaches start getting fired.
It has not been covered by sports networks like this. Only the net had the Texas rumor last year. No, this is the first time since 2006 he's been coversee like this.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I saw the last part of the Mike & Mike discussion this morning. If that was a set-up by a Notre Dame guy trying to create a distraction for Bama...it backfired on him big time. Some skinny guy got on and explained that Saban had the best job in all coaching, period. And that was just the beginning, he really poured the praise on Bama.

I don't think anything said in the media will be a distraction for Saban, worrying about that in my opinion is selling Saban short. That kind of talk only distracts the fans, and we all know that what we fans think has no bearing on how the team will play.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
My bottom line is I take Saban at his word that he plans to retire from Bama. Speculation to the contrary, in my opinion, is insulting towards Saban.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Gruden was offered stock/ownership in the University of Tennessee?? :conf2:
The rumor was Gruden was being offered stock/ownership in the Browns by Haslam, the new Browns' owner and UT inbred, in order to entice him to be UT's HC. This ended up being squashed all around. Gruden never even talked with UT.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Re: Scarbinsky: Saban's 'very content' at Alabama, Michael Lombardi says

Coach Saban does love the next challenge..And that next challenge will be a 3peat of winning the NC at Bama after we beat The Irish(and we will beat them)..That will put him on the highest level of achievements within the coaching ranks of college football..I also think that will weigh heavily on AJ's decision to go Pro or not as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.