When do you think Saban will retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm going to say never. The university will create a metal shell for his body when it is too broken to work on its own anymore.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
When I saw him go off in the NC last year against LSU in the 4th Qtr when a mistake was made, I think it will be quite a while before he loses that passion.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
He will turn 62 next October 31st and then he will be old enough to draw his Social Security. He might be waiting on that to supplement his income. :biggrin2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I never worry with it. I live in Texas and about this time every year there's the always reliable "We gonna offer Saban ten mill-yun dawl-uhs and he gawn leeb you haw and draw." Kinda makes you wonder how a program with so much money couldn't do any better than Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic, and Mack Brown - and a grand total of one national title in over 40 years. And for those who don't know, Mack was like number three on the list.

To give you an example of the arrogance we deal with, consider the following words from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram attributed to a Texas source when they wound up with third-choice Mack Brown:

(http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ootball-coach-northwestern-coach-gary-barnett)

That information is consistent with the understanding of a source with ties to Barnett, who summarized the Texas situation this way: "It's pretty much Gary's job to turn down. He may turn it down, but I don't think so."

You see, nobody would EVER turn down Texas because they can just - you know, win at will and hire whoever they want because they got more money than anybody else. (I would think the fact a guy would have rather stayed at Northwestern than go to Texas would have disabused them of that notion - but you have to live here to see the absolute "out of reality" worldview some of these folks have here.

The question presumes, of course, that Saban stays here. I think that's pretty much a given at this point. As of this year no longer can anyone say "he's never been anywhere longer than five years." The program is on solid footing - plus, with a win on January 7, CNS will be in line for a shot something not even the Great One did (though it was not his fault): a three-peat.

I don't think Nick stays around like, say, Bowden or that Unmentionable Guy. But he does strike me as the kind of guy that would be bored stiff if he quit. My old man just turned 67, and he is one of those, too.

But I would caution everyone something else - go back and look at the video tapes of Coach Bryant and compare what he looked like in the 1973 Sugar Bowl to how ragged and aged he looked at the 1982 Iron Bowl. Now - CPB did have some personal habits that are not exactly the healthiest in the world to help him cope with the stress (I know not if CNS does). And no, I'm not saying anything that anyone with minimal knowledge of CPB wouldn't admit. You age QUICKLY between 46-60, and Saban doesn't seem to have done so. (I find it hard to believe the guy is 18 years older than I - he gets around MUCH better).

My take? I think he'll be here as long as he's happy. But national title seasons INCREASE pressure at Alabama as opposed to other places. Next year or the year after or pretty soon we're gonna have another 2010 - and the fans will be disappointed and question the coaching. So let's see how it plays out.

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
I believe he wants to rewrite the ALABAMA record book. I think he will be here to get 6 NC'S , IF NOT 7 to pass the mark bryant set. Yes health is a issue but he looks fine. He is our modern day COACH BRYANT. Some where up there THE MAN is smiling down on coach saban and saying he's a goodin ! I WAS told yesterday this is how it was in the 70's, I was to young to remember as i told a AUBURN fan , but i also said HISTORY DOES REPEAT ITSELF . Better get that record book open & ready !!!!!

Condor 63

Scout Team
Oct 6, 2003
Birmingham, AL
home.bham.rr.com
Next year or the year after or pretty soon we're gonna have another 2010 - and the fans will be disappointed and question the coaching.
That is the only thing that really worries me. Certain fans need to realize that occasionally you are going to have a down year. Coaches get tired of unreasonable criticism unless they are like Paterno and Bowden and just deaf to even reasonable criticism.

If Alabama fans can just stay supportive in the down years I think Saban is here 4-8 more years, 2-3 more Championships and he leaves behind a history that no other school in the country can even touch.

I also tend to think all the new SEC coaching hires he leaves behind in his wake is a source of constant challenge to him. :biggrin:

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
I would think Coach Saban needs things in his life to make it full. Coaching is one of them. I'm sure family is higher on the list but he needs the things he does daily and that is coaching. The guy is highly driven whether it be wins on Saturday or Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. We can speculate all we want but in essence, it is trying to know the mind of God. Something else we can't do. These type of questions irritate me,... no disrespect to the thread starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.