When do you think Saban will retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004
I know this is looming at some point. When do you think it will be? After this national title? Or after the next?
I predict it will be after the next NC, not this upcoming one, but who knows?

I think the recent Terri Saban comments about Kirby Smart suggest this is coming sooner than later.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I know this is looming at some point. When do you think it will be? After this national title? Or after the next?

I think the recent Terri Saban comments about Kirby Smart suggest this is coming sooner than later.
Why is everyone trying to retire our coach? I mean really. This guy has 10 maybe 15 years of good football coaching in him and every time I turn around I see this kind of lunacy.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Why is everyone trying to retire our coach? I mean really. This guy has 10 maybe 15 years of good football coaching in him and every time I turn around I see this kind of lunacy.
It's a legitimate question. The answer is: Whenever he wants. That could be in 10 years. It could be the day after the title game. His call.

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004
Believe me. I don't want him to retire anytime soon! The program is in the best shape it's been since the 70's.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I am of two minds on this...he does have that much left, but I'm not at all convinced he has any intention of using it all up. I think the end of his current contract, if not a year or two sooner. 2015-2016, especially if Bama wins this year and wins another in that time span, might be possible. Hard to imagine anyone ever duplicating that feat, in this day and age. The stress will get to him sooner rather than later, at his age.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It's a legitimate question. The answer is: Whenever he wants. That could be in 10 years. It could be the day after the title game. His call.
Does anyone watch any of the the coach's shows? Hey Coach? The Nick Saban Show? Press Conferences? This 60 year old man is as young and vibrant an I am (46)...driven like a blizzard in fact. The only thing that would slow him down would be any health issue and he looks like he's in good shape to me. No, this coach will be around for a long, long time and I am just tickled pink about it. :cool2:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I want him to hang around long enough for us to be able to sport our own, "Fear The Thumb," t-shirts. How cool would that be with a NC ring on 4 fingers and playing for a 5th?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The answer, of course, is as long as he wants.
If Bama continues to be sucessful and the players keep following his guidance...it could be another 7-8 years.
I think it is always important to sucessful coaches that they be appreciated and not taken for granted. They don't like fans to become critical if there is a small bump in the road. Example: fans saying coaches blew A&M game because of play calls.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I am of two minds on this...he does have that much left, but I'm not at all convinced he has any intention of using it all up. I think the end of his current contract, if not a year or two sooner. 2015-2016, especially if Bama wins this year and wins another in that time span, might be possible. Hard to imagine anyone ever duplicating that feat, in this day and age. The stress will get to him sooner rather than later, at his age.
I see it this way as well.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

I took TERRY's comments the complete opposite.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I've always thought he'd coach until he's around his mid to late 60s. I don't think he'll be one of those coaches that chases glory too long and I think he'll probably leave when he's reasonably on top. I just don't see him willingly coaching when he can't give the same effort he has the rest of his career nor will he just resign himself to figurehead status like many guys 70+.

I think this is a big reason Kirby Smart has been so picky when he's had all the opportunity to bounce for a head coaching job. If he can stick around for 5-6 more years, he's going to be fully groomed to lead a program like Alabama and have it ideally built to have low transition. There won't be any titles given because I don't think that is how Saban works. Saban will leave around his 66th to 68th birthday and Smart takes over in his early to mid 40s.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My biggest indicators of this are those two Michigan State games in his 66th and 67th year. I think those are some last hurrah games. Wouldn't surprise me if we play Kent State and Toledo around then too.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Championships is his only reason for coming here. The standard around here is six. He has three in hand and a forth 60 minutes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.