Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Re: Tommy Tuberville to become Cincinnati's Next Coach

I can't believe Tennessee didn't consider him a strong candidate especially with his record against Bama, although I'm not so sure he wanted back in the SEC.
    Personally I always thought Tuberville was an outstanding coach and was possibly the best coach Auburn ever had.
    Coach Jordan had some success but not consistently like Tuberville, and I've said forever that Pat Dye, in my opinion, accomplished the least with the most talent of most any coach in SEC history. Yes he won a couple of SEC Titles but for about ten years he had the talent to win the national championship every single year and never did it.
    At any rate I think Cincy got a good one. I don't know how well Tubs will like Ohio though. He's pretty southern rooted.
    sip

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I DO assume a lot of the Tuberville hate is simply because he was the Auburn coach.

Do I think he was a GOOD coach? Yes. But he also lost game after game after game where Auburn was most probably the better team. The final two games of 2001 (us and LSU), Ga Tech in 2003 and 2005, the Wisconsin bowl game in 2005, and even Arkansas in 2006.

And at the risk of hitting the beehive, the fact is that Tuberville had the whole state pretty much to himself from 2001-2006. Not so coincidentally, he won every Iron Bowl from 2002-2007. He could play the "probation card," and we aided and abetted him with the Mike Price fiasco.

I think he's a decent coach. He'd do well at Arkansas for their state, which is why I was a tad surprised his name never came up.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I agree Bill, most of the vitriol on here for Tubs was that he was th au HC. I too thought Arkansas might talk with him, but maybe they did and he realized at 58 he did not want to go head to head with Saban, Miles and now Sumlin. As I have said several times, IMO he would have been a good hire for UT and his offensive philosophy ( not what he ran at TTU ) would fit the current players at UT. I expect him to do well at Cincinnati, although at this point who knows where they will wind up with all the realignment.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Crappy on TideFans.com

There is talk of Cincy possibly ending up in the B1G. This realignment will ultimately kill the Big East.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive0 on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I said in another thread that Tubs would have been a good get for UT. IMO at 58 this will be his final stepping stone to a bigger program. I also believe Tubs is a much better coach than we have given him credit for all these years.

I agree he is a good coach. He did a decent job at Texas tech, and I heard it was hard to recruit there. Something about the lack of stuff in Lubbock.

Plus if he went to the Vols, it would give a new meaning to the dislike of UT.

Maybe Cincinnati will be his last stop, or a stepping stone to one last "big" school.
    Roll Tide

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Agree with Sip and others, I really thought Arky or UTee would hire him, and he would have a been a good fit at either place IMO.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Tommy Tuberville to become Cincinnati's Next Coach

Quote Originally Posted by bama119 View Post
    I wonder who reached out first, did Cinci reach out to Tubby first or did Tubby have his agent let Cinci know he was interested? Kind of a surprise to me. Was Tubby wanting any job he could get just to get out of Lubbock?
    Ever been to Lubbock?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Big East will not have an autobid into the new BCS, so getting into a good bowl won't be as easy at Cincy as it is now.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The Big East will not have an autobid into the new BCS, so getting into a good bowl won't be as easy at Cincy as it is now.
    Still going to be easier than doing it at Texas Tech with Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State, and West Virginia ahead of you.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation First Team BamaFanInTally's Avatar

Perhaps he will get a raise out of the move. I do know I would rather live in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area a lot more than Lubbock / West Texas.

Wingnut may be one of the oddest ducks to ever coach major CFB.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team marcusroby's Avatar

He stuck it to Bob Stoops with his last coaches poll vote also if i remember correctly.

BamaNation All-American

Tubbs is a better coach than many give him credit for, but most of his success at Auburn was due to the state of Alabama's program during his tenure.

Once Alabama was no longer crippled and got a good coach, Tubbs was quickly dispatched.

He really would have been a great choice for Miami though. He would not have had to worry that much about recruiting since there is so much talent in the area.