Tommy Tuberville to become Cincinnati's Next Coach

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Big East will not have an autobid into the new BCS, so getting into a good bowl won't be as easy at Cincy as it is now.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Tubbs is a better coach than many give him credit for, but most of his success at Auburn was due to the state of Alabama's program during his tenure.

Once Alabama was no longer crippled and got a good coach, Tubbs was quickly dispatched.

He really would have been a great choice for Miami though. He would not have had to worry that much about recruiting since there is so much talent in the area.

RAB83

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 2012
A Big LEast school is not a lateral move from a Big *** school. The only reason Tubby would make that move is Lubbock is a pit (true) and the Tech admin/alumni is in bad shape since Bama stole Tech's president.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
After reading Mike Leach's book I guess it may have something to do with the PTB at TTU and the AD. They all seem pretty looney!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Tubberville was never truly excepted. Administration stabbed Leach in the back for looking at other jobs using incident as excuse, fans liked Leach better than Tubby.. Tubberville's play was to bring in a good defense, it didn't happen. Boring 7-5 football was not popular. Tubberville at TT = 2 guaranteed seasons Tubberville at Cincinnati = 4-5 guaranteed season's. He jumped ship. Smart move. Lateral has nothing to do with it, but his future employment,

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
You know, I always thought Tubby was a pretty good coach. Classless at times, but a good X and O kind of guy. I mean he was trying to function in dysfunction junction for goodness sake.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Big East is history as far as big time football goes. At present they have UCON, Cincy and USF. It remains to be seen if adding Houston, SMU and Tulane will prop them up very much. I read awhile back that Boise St was having second thoughts (as TCU did) and was thinking of backing out on the Big East. But, having a big name HC will help them land in the Big 12, or the ACC.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Tubs wife was in a car accident in Lubbock in which she ran a red light and struck a car. After several months, a passenger in the car died. This, along with trying to follow Leach, just wasn't working well. He also seemed frustrated that he couldn't stop the Big12 offenses. Tech is an ag school way out in the middle of no where. There are a lot more options for most Texas kids near home.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The AD at Cincinnati worked with him at the Barn. Tubs wanted out of Lubbock for all the mentioned reasons above. Cincinnati is desperate to get into the ACC or Big 12, so a name coach probably helps their stature. And the only way he'll ever leave Cincy is in a pine box...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It makes some semblance of sense in hindsight, but I'll admit to raising an eyebrow. Tubby is a pretty decent coach, so Cincy should get along alright. The Tejas Technicians look like a good program to avoid for the moment.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Tubbs must've broke out the "pine box" quote again. The AD or prez at TT said tubbs told him the morning he took the job at cincy that he was happy and not going anywhere...some things never change I guess.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
There is talk of Cincy possibly ending up in the B1G. This realignment will ultimately kill the Big East.
That would be amazing, since tOSU tries to avoid playing them...
Losing to them has a huge downside, and beating them doesnt give them a big upside...
they prefer to prey on the weaker ohio teams (for the most part, not every season, of course) Toledo, Ohio, Miami of Ohio...etc...

Would love to see it myself, Cincy has become a pretty decent team with what they have in resources to work with...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The AD at Cincinnati worked with him at the Barn. Tubs wanted out of Lubbock for all the mentioned reasons above. Cincinnati is desperate to get into the ACC or Big 12, so a name coach probably helps their stature. And the only way he'll ever leave Cincy is in a pine box...
Do you know for sure if this is same pine box he had when he was in Oxford, MS?;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.