Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Tommy Tuberville to become Cincinnati's Next Coach

A Big LEast school is not a lateral move from a Big WTF school. The only reason Tubby would make that move is Lubbock is a pit (true) and the Tech admin/alumni is in bad shape since Bama stole Tech's president.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

After reading Mike Leach's book I guess it may have something to do with the PTB at TTU and the AD. They all seem pretty looney!
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Tubberville was never truly excepted. Administration stabbed Leach in the back for looking at other jobs using incident as excuse, fans liked Leach better than Tubby.. Tubberville's play was to bring in a good defense, it didn't happen. Boring 7-5 football was not popular. Tubberville at TT = 2 guaranteed seasons Tubberville at Cincinnati = 4-5 guaranteed season's. He jumped ship. Smart move. Lateral has nothing to do with it, but his future employment,

BamaNation First Team

You know, I always thought Tubby was a pretty good coach. Classless at times, but a good X and O kind of guy. I mean he was trying to function in dysfunction junction for goodness sake.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Tubby is 58. I don't see him getting another big job.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Big East is history as far as big time football goes. At present they have UCON, Cincy and USF. It remains to be seen if adding Houston, SMU and Tulane will prop them up very much. I read awhile back that Boise St was having second thoughts (as TCU did) and was thinking of backing out on the Big East. But, having a big name HC will help them land in the Big 12, or the ACC.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

With WVU already in the Big XII, I could see Cincinnati joining that conference. Tubs would then be back where he just left.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Suspended

Tubs wife was in a car accident in Lubbock in which she ran a red light and struck a car. After several months, a passenger in the car died. This, along with trying to follow Leach, just wasn't working well. He also seemed frustrated that he couldn't stop the Big12 offenses. Tech is an ag school way out in the middle of no where. There are a lot more options for most Texas kids near home.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The AD at Cincinnati worked with him at the Barn. Tubs wanted out of Lubbock for all the mentioned reasons above. Cincinnati is desperate to get into the ACC or Big 12, so a name coach probably helps their stature. And the only way he'll ever leave Cincy is in a pine box...
    Defense STILL wins championships. RTR!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It makes some semblance of sense in hindsight, but I'll admit to raising an eyebrow. Tubby is a pretty decent coach, so Cincy should get along alright. The Tejas Technicians look like a good program to avoid for the moment.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation First Team gman4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Tubbs must've broke out the "pine box" quote again. The AD or prez at TT said tubbs told him the morning he took the job at cincy that he was happy and not going anywhere...some things never change I guess.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by We_are_Bama View Post
    There is talk of Cincy possibly ending up in the B1G. This realignment will ultimately kill the Big East.
    That would be amazing, since tOSU tries to avoid playing them...
    Losing to them has a huge downside, and beating them doesnt give them a big upside...
    they prefer to prey on the weaker ohio teams (for the most part, not every season, of course) Toledo, Ohio, Miami of Ohio...etc...

Would love to see it myself, Cincy has become a pretty decent team with what they have in resources to work with...

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobK View Post
    The AD at Cincinnati worked with him at the Barn. Tubs wanted out of Lubbock for all the mentioned reasons above. Cincinnati is desperate to get into the ACC or Big 12, so a name coach probably helps their stature. And the only way he'll ever leave Cincy is in a pine box...
    Do you know for sure if this is same pine box he had when he was in Oxford, MS?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner