Tommy Tuberville to become Cincinnati's Next Coach

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
He must have hated Lubbock. I wonder if this will be long term or if he'll use Cincy as a stepping stone. He could go 9-3 at Cincy forever and retire there.

He must have hated Lubbock. I wonder if this will be long term or if he'll use Cincy as a stepping stone. He could go 9-3 at Cincy forever and retire there.
Coming out from a lot of people that he really wanted out of Lubbock. He tried to get the Miami job when Al Golden was hired.

And, as I mentioned in the catch all thread, it's far easier to get to a major bowl game from Cincinnati than it is Texas Tech.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'd have to say that's a really smart move by him. I do wonder where he would try to move up to from there though.

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
I wonder who reached out first, did Cinci reach out to Tubby first or did Tubby have his agent let Cinci know he was interested? Kind of a surprise to me. Was Tubby wanting any job he could get just to get out of Lubbock?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Agreed. Too much pressure at Wisconsin to win big. Like someone said earlier. He could go 8-4 or 9-3 forever and be one of their greatest coaches. Much less recruiting pressure too. Also, the Big East is falling apart and Cincy can prey on weak teams week in and week out.

Also, you can enter "pine box" joke here: ______________

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I would guess he left for job security. If he didn't have a sizable buyout after next year, then Tech would likely consider cutting him loose after anything short of an 8-9 win season next year. Cincy is probably so thrilled to have him that they'll give him all the job security he could hope for, and he could always bolt if a more prestigious job opened up. I'd prefer to be a coach with job security at a school set to dominate the conference with easy access to good bowls (for a few more years at least) and try to bolster my resume for the next coveted opening.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I said in another thread that Tubs would have been a good get for UT. IMO at 58 this will be his final stepping stone to a bigger program. I also believe Tubs is a much better coach than we have given him credit for all these years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I can't believe Tennessee didn't consider him a strong candidate especially with his record against Bama, although I'm not so sure he wanted back in the SEC.
Personally I always thought Tuberville was an outstanding coach and was possibly the best coach Auburn ever had.
Coach Jordan had some success but not consistently like Tuberville, and I've said forever that Pat Dye, in my opinion, accomplished the least with the most talent of most any coach in SEC history. Yes he won a couple of SEC Titles but for about ten years he had the talent to win the national championship every single year and never did it.
At any rate I think Cincy got a good one. I don't know how well Tubs will like Ohio though. He's pretty southern rooted.
sip

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I DO assume a lot of the Tuberville hate is simply because he was the Auburn coach.

Do I think he was a GOOD coach? Yes. But he also lost game after game after game where Auburn was most probably the better team. The final two games of 2001 (us and LSU), Ga Tech in 2003 and 2005, the Wisconsin bowl game in 2005, and even Arkansas in 2006.

And at the risk of hitting the beehive, the fact is that Tuberville had the whole state pretty much to himself from 2001-2006. Not so coincidentally, he won every Iron Bowl from 2002-2007. He could play the "probation card," and we aided and abetted him with the Mike Price fiasco.

I think he's a decent coach. He'd do well at Arkansas for their state, which is why I was a tad surprised his name never came up.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree Bill, most of the vitriol on here for Tubs was that he was th au HC. I too thought Arkansas might talk with him, but maybe they did and he realized at 58 he did not want to go head to head with Saban, Miles and now Sumlin. As I have said several times, IMO he would have been a good hire for UT and his offensive philosophy ( not what he ran at TTU ) would fit the current players at UT. I expect him to do well at Cincinnati, although at this point who knows where they will wind up with all the realignment.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
There is talk of Cincy possibly ending up in the B1G. This realignment will ultimately kill the Big East.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I said in another thread that Tubs would have been a good get for UT. IMO at 58 this will be his final stepping stone to a bigger program. I also believe Tubs is a much better coach than we have given him credit for all these years.

I agree he is a good coach. He did a decent job at Texas tech, and I heard it was hard to recruit there. Something about the lack of stuff in Lubbock.

Plus if he went to the Vols, it would give a new meaning to the dislike of UT.

Maybe Cincinnati will be his last stop, or a stepping stone to one last "big" school.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Agree with Sip and others, I really thought Arky or UTee would hire him, and he would have a been a good fit at either place IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.