Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Re: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    I think this speaks volumes, as they say
    Well, he isn't going to be caught wearing anything with Under Armour on it... regardless the team. He made Nike a ton of money, and Nike made him a ton of money. The relationship still exists as Nike was a huge part of the Bo Bikes Bama fundraiser.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He had more talent than any running back I've ever seen. Bar none. If he'd have concentrated on football and stayed healthy (not little stuff, big injuries like having your hip joint basically die), he'd have rewritten the record books for decades. I think he'd have been a hall of famer in baseball, too. Plus, he's selfless and humble. I admire the hell out of the guy.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I have to confess Bo Jackson was my first favorite player. My mother was a bit misguided so that didn't help either, but I was in third grade, I'd just started to gain a real awareness of team sports and sports cards and Bo Jackson was at the peak of his popularity. I was just past the point of asking my dad which color team to cheer for, so I didn't really have ingrained bias and honestly wasn't aware he'd played for Auburn at that point in time.

He was a larger than life character and I remember how coveted his cards were amongst my friends and I. I remember getting a whole box of cards in return for a Bo Breaker Score card, and how sought after his Bo Black and Blue card was (it was even counterfeited). I watched the Monday Night Football game that basically ruined his sports career. He was an amazing player to watch.

On the flip side, later on I think I got a stack of like 30 1987 Topps Future Star Bo Jackson rookies because they were considered worthless at the time. I know he played for Auburn, but I can't help but feel a bit of regret at how his career turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I have to confess Bo Jackson was my first favorite player. My mother was a bit misguided so that didn't help either, but I was in third grade, I'd just started to gain a real awareness of team sports and sports cards and Bo Jackson was at the peak of his popularity. I was just past the point of asking my dad which color team to cheer for, so I didn't really have ingrained bias and honestly wasn't aware he'd played for Auburn at that point in time.

He was a larger than life character and I remember how coveted his cards were amongst my friends and I. I remember getting a whole box of cards in return for a Bo Breaker Score card, and how sought after his Bo Black and Blue card was (it was even counterfeited). I watched the Monday Night Football game that basically ruined his sports career. He was an amazing player to watch.

On the flip side, later on I think I got a stack of like 30 1987 Topps Future Star Bo Jackson rookies because they were considered worthless at the time. I know he played for Auburn, but I can't help but feel a bit of regret at how his career turned out.
    It was actually Brian Bosworth's career that got ruined on a Monday night by Jackson.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The stories I could tell of what I saw him so in high school. Like the song....glory days. I have to say I will never as long as I live see a more naturally gifted athlete.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Did I correctly understand him say that the "Bo Knows" campaign made his Nike revenue go up by 1,000%?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Did I correctly understand him say that the "Bo Knows" campaign made his Nike revenue go up by 1,000%?
    For the cross training department.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    It was actually Brian Bosworth's career that got ruined on a Monday night by Jackson.
    Shows how sharp my childhood memories are. I did watch the game he got hurt in, but I see from checking it was a playoff game.

I also must confess to treasuring a Brian Bosworth card... I thought he looked cool.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Well, he isn't going to be caught wearing anything with Under Armour on it... regardless the team. He made Nike a ton of money, and Nike made him a ton of money. The relationship still exists as Nike was a huge part of the Bo Bikes Bama fundraiser.
    So you agree with me

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    So you agree with me
    Seems so.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If Bo is under contract to Nike, he may be forbidden to wear another company's products.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    If Bo is under contract to Nike, he may be forbidden to wear another company's products.
    That's definitely the case, but based on Jackson's personality... I doubt he'd need a contract to state that. He's incredibly loyal to Nike.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Like so many others, I've often wondered what might have been had he not been injured. During his professional prime, I was always struck how George Brett, one of the all time MLB greats, was in awe of Bo. Brett seemed like a kid going to his first big league game every time he described one of Bo's antics or accomplishements. During his comeback, I went to see him play with the Birmingham Barons (White Sox minor league team). Not knowing what his number would be, I wondered if I could distinguish him from the other players during pre-game warm-ups. I shouldn't have concerned myself.....he was huge, and still fast and smooth.....it's just a shame his career ended as early as it did.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant