Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

I give total respect to Bo's natural abilities. He was a freak of nature and it's sad he went out of sports the way he did.
    "Sometimes the juice is worth the squeeze." - Marcus Luttrell, 'Service - A Navy SEAL at War'

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    In the 1982 game, Auburn got the ball back with a chance to run out the clock (about 1:45 or so left). Bo did the same play he had scored on and fumbled the ball. We RECOVERED the fumble, but we turned it over on downs and Auburn won, 23-22.
    I remember that now. We gained more than 500 yards in that game and still lost.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Bo was at Auburn while Perkins was still coaching the New York Giants.
    You realize, of course, that Bo was at Auburn from 1982 thru 1985. His freshman year Iron Bowl was against Coach Bryant while the other three were against Ray Perkins.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Bo was at Auburn while Perkins was still coaching the New York Giants.
    You are right. I stand corrected.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

I believe every single player that has ever played at Auburn was paid.. Every one except Bo Jackson! Lol

I was 8 yrs old and a big Bo Jackson fan. He was like superman. It's hard to let go of childhood heroes.
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My cardiologist is a very well-known bow hunter, international style. In fact, he's probably the only nationally-known cardiologist who also happens to be a bow hunter and black to boot...
    I know who you're talking about. Raised in Arkansas and has had a wonderful career in Alabama. Seems like we've heard that before!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    You realize, of course, that Bo was at Auburn from 1982 thru 1985. His freshman year Iron Bowl was against Coach Bryant while the other three were against Ray Perkins.
    Yes, I do, but it was in response to the claim that Donahue was fired because of Bo Jackson. They were together in 1983 and 1984, and the two on the same staff were 1-1 against Bo, so why Perkins would fire Donahue over Jackson is puzzling.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    I lived in Germany and we didn't get it that year, but Auburn only had 132 yards of offense entering the fourth quarter. That was - literally - the best game the Tide played that year other than Penn State - at least up until the end. There was also a thing Bryant blamed himself for. In the third quarter we kicked a field goal to go up 19-14. There was a penalty that would have given us another play up close on I believe a third down - but Bryant didn't want to take the points off the board. Afterward, he blamed himself rather harshly for that one (understandable) decision.

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Yep - 507 to be precise. No, I did have to look it up.

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

My favorite memory of Bo is the 1985 Iron Bowl. The game was played on Bo's birthday and the awbarn student section sang happy birthday to him during warmup. After the game, after Tiffin kicked the field goal, the Bama student section sang happy birthday to him. Loved it.

Back then the two schools split the tickets down the middle, more or less, so the stadium was half Bama and half awbarn. Both bands would be on the field at the same time. While the awbarn band was playing their alma mater, the Bama students sang "Ole McDonald had a farm." One of my favorite games of all time.
    Bamabww

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Cool Re: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

Bo Jackson is, to my knowledge, a good and selfless man. Amazing athlete and a better man. I am proud of him as a fellow Alabamian. And I don't think giving a good man his props is the same as a lovefest. Just my .02.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    Top 3-4 athlete of all time. No doubt. He and Herschel were the most physically talented college RB's ever.

Bo knows how the pay system worked/works down on the plains.
    Bo knows how to 'keep it down home cuz'
    Bo knows how to keep his mouth shut.

I don't hate the guy for it, but I don't really care for him either.

Do you think
    Bo knows who the bagman is?

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

In response to a number of posters here regarding numerous things:

1) The late Ken Donahue has ADMITTED that he made NO PROMISES to Bo Jackson, for the simple reason that neither he nor Coach Bryant made promises they could not keep. A number of folks here have probably posted at TI, and this story was told years ago over there.

2) Auburn sort of fell into Bo Jackson scholarship-wise by accident. They were actually higher on a guy named Alan Evans. In fact, had it been just a bit earlier when Auburn was serving sanctions, they would have chosen Evans and not signed Bo.

3) As far as the allegation of payments - it is one thing to say "Auburn has paid players." That can be substantiated quite easily even if we don't consider Cam Newton. But it does not follow that therefore Bo Jackson was paid to come to Auburn. During the Ramsey scandal, Jackson was specifically asked whether or not he was paid and denied it. That, of course, does not mean he's telling the truth, but unless you have some sort of evidence to substantiate the charge, it might be best to not make it.

4) Bo Jackson was a truly awesome athlete. No, he would not have made the professional Hall of Fame of EITHER baseball OR football - but I DO think he would have if he had concentrated on just one sport.

5) Whether or not Bo made it over the top or not is largely irrelevant. The refs called it a TD, and it will go down in history as a TD. That said - Bo nearly became the biggest goat in the game. Auburn got the ball back and needed to just run out the clock. On a short play, they called again for "Bo Over The Top." He FUMBLED the ball, and we recovered it needing only a FG to win. Unfortunately, we didn't do it, and as Tide graduate (and author Scot Brown said in "The Uncivil War") it "unleashed a decade of Pat Dye acting childish in the face of success."

Bo was a truly great athlete. Didn't see the show, but he even went hunting and caught some huge deer that made "The Sporting News" during the whole "Bo Knows" thing. I did love Wayne Gretzky: "No!"
    No you di'int...
    RIP Hub