Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Re: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

I'll give credit to Bo as being one of the best running backs I ever saw, but he's not the best. There are two guys who stick out to me, one Marcus Dupree was almost 30 pounds heavier and almost as fast. Dupress ran a LAGIT 4.4 40 yard dash. Dupree was at full speed in 3 steps. At OU in 1982 the guy averaged 8.5 yards a carry. Bo and Hershell were never in that zip code. The other is Barry Sanders, from a purely skill point of view he stands alone.

I saw Dupree play on TV several times and every single time he touched the ball it was just one shoe string from a touchdown. If you're linebackers didn't get a good handle on him it was six. DB's had no chance what so ever of getting that guy down, most couldn't even catch him but even if they did he outweighed the biggest safeties by 50 pounds. He was a true north-south runner too. No dancing around, he was coming through the hole weather it was there or not. I hate that his career ended so early.
    BS 1989

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll add my one in person baseball memory of Bo to this. I was in Huntsville watching a Memphis Chicks/Hunstville Stars game. Bo charged a line drive and let the ball skip under his glove. He chased the ball down turned and threw the guy out at second.

He was by far the most gifted all around athlete I have ever seen. Him saying that he was gifted the way he says it gives all the credit to God and not anything he did via work or practice (although he obviously worked very hard). I will always be a Bo fan.

That said, until someone better comes along (Trent has a chance), I will always be of the opinion that Earl Campbell is the best pro running back ever with a very close second to Emmitt Smith. Bo could have been a great pro, but I don't think he would have reached their status with me.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    It was actually Brian Bosworth's career that got ruined on a Monday night by Jackson.
    Briank Bosworths career ruin began the day after he was drafted...
    one of the most overhyped players ever...

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    No you di'int...
    All I can figure is that he left Selma and Alabama early in life. You kill deer, not catch em. Of course, if anyone could run one down and catch it, it would be Bo!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post
    I'll give credit to Bo as being one of the best running backs I ever saw, but he's not the best. There are two guys who stick out to me, one Marcus Dupree was almost 30 pounds heavier and almost as fast. Dupress ran a LAGIT 4.4 40 yard dash. Dupree was at full speed in 3 steps. At OU in 1982 the guy averaged 8.5 yards a carry. Bo and Hershell were never in that zip code. The other is Barry Sanders, from a purely skill point of view he stands alone.

I saw Dupree play on TV several times and every single time he touched the ball it was just one shoe string from a touchdown. If you're linebackers didn't get a good handle on him it was six. DB's had no chance what so ever of getting that guy down, most couldn't even catch him but even if they did he outweighed the biggest safeties by 50 pounds. He was a true north-south runner too. No dancing around, he was coming through the hole weather it was there or not. I hate that his career ended so early.
    Did dupree also crush some of the longest moonshots in professional baseball?

there are many athletes in both sports that you can bring up, but his combination of talent and pure skill to be his size was impressive...in two professional sports.

to be able to compete in both football and baseball, and to be able to perform at what could have been hall of fame levels in both is just amazing...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslammer View Post

I personally believe Bo had the potential to be better than any guy on this list (or any other)... had he been used properly and devoted his talents solely to football. Had he been utilized like Herschel, I believe most would consider him the greatest RB in the history of college football. In three years, Walker had 1,083 carries for 5,596 yards. In four years, Bo had 735 carries for 4,714 yards. If you gave Bo the same number of carries per year that Walker had (361), he would have amassed a total of 2,315 yards per season if he maintained his YPC average (which is debatable that he could do)... translating into 9,261 yards in his career - easily the NCAA career leader.

For the 1st two years at Auburn, Bo shared carries with three other guys because the team ran the wishbone. Had Dye been smart and featured Bo from day one as a true tailback, there's no telling what he could have done. Because of his sharing the backfield with Marcus Allen with the Raiders, playing partial seasons, and having his career end prematurely, it's hard to say what his history in the NFL could have shown. Got to be considered (at least) as one of the three greatest RB in NCAA history in terms of pure ability and potential (not actual numbers).

BamaNation First Team fralo4tide's Avatar

While vacationing in Busch Gardens last year, I met a guy who said he beat Bo in the forty in high school. He gave lots of details but don't know if he was being truthful or not. Can't remember his name; otherwise, I would google it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Depressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    No you di'int...
    Ok, I was incredibly exhausted when I posted last night. Also - I don't hunt deer but I do eat it.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I wasn't alive yet but if it hadn't been for a bad PI call on Jermiah Castile after he made an INT, then "Bo over the top" would of never happened.
    That was a terrible call. The interception would have given Alabama the win that day. I thought it was Tommy Wilcox that intercepted the ball.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Bo was a truly great athlete. Didn't see the show, but he even went hunting and caught some huge deer that made "The Sporting News" during the whole "Bo Knows" thing. I did love Wayne Gretzky: "No!"
    No.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation First Team gman4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My barner wife was at the sugar bowl with the barn in what, '82? She was telling me about Bo throwing the football and hitting the ceiling before they started talking about it on the show. She said "the qb's couldn't do it"...and then said "well, it was randy campbell". I had to LOL...since we're from hartselle and she knew randy personally.

This is from 1990 - Bo was still playing both NFL and MLB, but took time out of his schedule to meet and greet with some special-needs kids in the Orlando area, including my brother:

No press was there, no one out side of the families knew he was there. You could tell he genuinely cared for these kids and was happy to be there, though many of them had no idea who he was. People like Bo will always have my respect - he could easily have been 'too busy' but he made time for others, and it wasn't about his ego.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC

Bo Jackson was a stutterer (the only handicap that is made fun of) so he understands very well what it's like to live life with a disability. Bo Jackson is a good guy and I wish him well.