Link: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I don't like Auburn, but Bo is one of my favorite athletes of all time. I think he was in the same category athletically as people like Lebron James.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Watching the special last night I didn't know he had an aversion to practice. Sounds a lot like Linnie Patrick. Considering that it was probably best for him that he went to the Barn. He might have been perpetually stuck in CPB's doghouse had he gone to Bama.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Not really getting all the Bo love on here. He was a great athlete no doubt but he never left it all on the field IMHO. Herschel Walker was a much better running back.

BamaSlama

1st Team
Jan 11, 2003
Madison, AL
I remember watching Bo in HS. His McAdory team played my brother's HS. I was proly around 9-11 yrs old. Well during the HS FB games, a big group of us little kids would always play pickup games on a side field. During that game, this huge kid from McAdory who was the fastest human I had ever seen, just kinda awed all of us. We all stood along the fence in the end zone and actually watched that entire game. Somehow, even at that young age, we knew we were witnessing a special athlete and didn't want to miss a second of it.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
Barry Sanders did 10x the things Bo did on a football field with half the stature. Sanders was the best tb I have ever seen.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I dont buy it.
The story used to be that the reason he went to Auburn was we recruited him as a linebacker , now its changed !!!!!

We all know Pat Dye was busted for a pay for play scheme.....Since Bo was a big Bama fan and Bama had won National Titles in 78 and 79 I call Phoney Baloney......You do the math.

I don't follow recruiting so I had never heard about the playing position issue. What I had heard was that Ken Donahue had told him that he would never beat Bama if he went to Auburn. I thought it was classy of him to not name Ken Donahue when relating that issue.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As a Bama fan he was the Scariest player we ever played against. Every time he touched the ball you would hold your breath and hope we tackled him.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I was a baby when Bo was at his peak. One of my dad's auburn buddies repeated Bo Jackson over and over to me. I eventually figured it out and then said it to my dad who was not that pleased.

I wasn't old enough to see him play unfortunately but that story has always stuck with me.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
A fellow Spartan, I see.
You pegged me. It was not fair. We had Bo to contend with in football and Sir Charles in basketball at Leeds in 3A. So we were playing against potential future hall of famers in 3A baseball, basketball and football. Bo never hit a HR off me. But he did hit the ball so hard that our 2nd baseman made no attempt to even catch it...jumping over the ball. From there, he stole every base and scored. Anyone who saw him, Bama fan or not, knew you were watching something special. Easy to downplay him if you never squared up on him on a football field one on one.

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
Barry Sanders did 10x the things Bo did on a football field with half the stature. Sanders was the best tb I have ever seen.
Barry had a longer career, so yeah....

Two different styles here but both were fun to watch. If Barry Sanders would have had a good OL, there would be no telling how many yards he would have ended up with. I think BS only played 10 seasons.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Bo would have been the best there ever was -- if he really liked football. I think baseball and track were his favorites because he didn't get hit. Extraordinary athlete, and played on fine Auburn teams. But he could have very easily gone 0-4 against us. Auburn was extraordinarily lucky to win his freshman year. In '83, the tornado system blew through Birmingham just in time to cost UA a significant fourth-quarter wind advantage, and he lost to us in '84 and '85, games to this day Auburn folks can't believe they didn't win. Thank your coach for those.

Amazing athlete. The best burst for a big man I have ever seen. Also, absolutely love the sequence in Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary in which Buck O'Neil describes hearing the sound of the ball coming off Bo's bat.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Amazing athlete. The best burst for a big man I have ever seen. Also, absolutely love the sequence in Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary in which Buck O'Neil describes hearing the sound of the ball coming off Bo's bat.
Buck said there were three bats that made that noise. Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson and Bo. There is something special about the sound of a wooden bat when swung with incredible bat speed and hitting the sweet spot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.