Link: ESPN 30 for 30: You don't know Bo

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I don't think he broke the plane when he went "over the top".

Sorry to break up the Bo lovefest, but I never cared for him or any other Barner.
I agree on the over the top not being a definite score. And that had there been competent refs who respected Castille's brilliant INT instead of calling PI, "Bo over the top" would have never even mattered.

And also sadly for Bo, those that think he was a once in a lifetime - type back must have a short memory and never saw Herschel Walker play. Bo was a great athlete, but Herschel was a freak-phenom. If i had to pick between the two to play tailback for me, I'd take Herschel without batting an eye. Herschel made you think that somehow Walter Payton and Earl Campbell got together and had a baby.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I couldn't stand watching him play against Bama, but he became a favorite of mine as a pro athlete.
I don't like barners, but Bo became the exception to the rule, good guy, amazing athlete.
And he did run the wrong way once LOL, that makes it easier to think back at his career with Auburn.

bamawind

Scout Team
Sep 23, 2006
Watch the replay of Bo over the top in slow motion. He didn't get in. Too bad no instant replay.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Greatest athlete I ever saw play, period. I simply wish Bo would have picked one sport, doesn't matter which sport, because he would have been one of the greats in either sport.

Nonetheless, he was a pleasure to watch, especially when he ran over "The Boz."
He's the best athlete I ever saw as well. If he hadn't been injured and had his career cut short he'd be a sure fire Hall of Famer maybe in both football and baseball. I always liked Bo. It was almost impossible not to.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watch the replay of Bo over the top in slow motion. He didn't get in. Too bad no instant replay.
Did you have an angle down the goal line? I watched this 30 for 30, and the angle that they showed was far from conclusive, but it appeared that he was in.

As for the show, Bo came across as having a very large ego to go along with his talent. Several times he told the interviewer how talented he was, and how gifted he was. He did not need to do so in this context, as the entire episode was all about his gifts.

Glad I watched it - so many of these are negative - this one was very positive.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Enjoyed the show.

Something telling that stuck out: David Housel said: "When Bo went over the top that was probably the biggest single play in Auburn football history."

Just a nugget that suggests what we know: Auburn beating Alabama is the most important thing to them.

FWIW, when he went over the top and drew the initial contact he spun and that second effort looks to be when he crossed the goal line. Also, both line judges were in perfect position to see the line being broken.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I beleive Perkins fired Ken Donahue when he didn't land Bo. Ken Donahue was one of the best defensive coaches there has ever been at Alabama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In response to a number of posters here regarding numerous things:

1) The late Ken Donahue has ADMITTED that he made NO PROMISES to Bo Jackson, for the simple reason that neither he nor Coach Bryant made promises they could not keep. A number of folks here have probably posted at TI, and this story was told years ago over there.

2) Auburn sort of fell into Bo Jackson scholarship-wise by accident. They were actually higher on a guy named Alan Evans. In fact, had it been just a bit earlier when Auburn was serving sanctions, they would have chosen Evans and not signed Bo.

3) As far as the allegation of payments - it is one thing to say "Auburn has paid players." That can be substantiated quite easily even if we don't consider Cam Newton. But it does not follow that therefore Bo Jackson was paid to come to Auburn. During the Ramsey scandal, Jackson was specifically asked whether or not he was paid and denied it. That, of course, does not mean he's telling the truth, but unless you have some sort of evidence to substantiate the charge, it might be best to not make it.

4) Bo Jackson was a truly awesome athlete. No, he would not have made the professional Hall of Fame of EITHER baseball OR football - but I DO think he would have if he had concentrated on just one sport.

5) Whether or not Bo made it over the top or not is largely irrelevant. The refs called it a TD, and it will go down in history as a TD. That said - Bo nearly became the biggest goat in the game. Auburn got the ball back and needed to just run out the clock. On a short play, they called again for "Bo Over The Top." He FUMBLED the ball, and we recovered it needing only a FG to win. Unfortunately, we didn't do it, and as Tide graduate (and author Scot Brown said in "The Uncivil War") it "unleashed a decade of Pat Dye acting childish in the face of success."

Bo was a truly great athlete. Didn't see the show, but he even went hunting and caught some huge deer that made "The Sporting News" during the whole "Bo Knows" thing. I did love Wayne Gretzky: "No!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Enjoyed the show.

Something telling that stuck out: David Housel said: "When Bo went over the top that was probably the biggest single play in Auburn football history."

Just a nugget that suggests what we know: Auburn beating Alabama is the most important thing to them.

FWIW, when he went over the top and drew the initial contact he spun and that second effort looks to be when he crossed the goal line. Also, both line judges were in perfect position to see the line being broken.
Pat Dye also compared the Iron Bowl being moved to Auburn for the December 2, 1989 game as similar to the Berlin Wall coming down a month earlier.

Talk about ridiculous comparisons.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
Well, it had to happen. Someone mentioned Bo Jackson and that aubarn basketball player in the same story.
Bo IS a role model.
You completely missed the point. I certainly know about Charles. And he frequently showed his attitude when playing basketball drawing many technicals and in general acted like a 2 year old who threw a temper tantrum. Charles would throw the basketball up into the rafters at our gym when he did not like the call. Bo was class and his mom kept him in check. THE POINT was it was hard to play for a state championship in your classification when you have all stars at other small 3A schools.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Why are you saying bo knows about the pay system?? That doesn't even make sense.. He didn't go to Auburn for money
It really does make sense, because it was institutionalized. They offered a friend of mine, who ended up playing LB at Bama, where his dad played. The standard pay was $1,000 per game, for the journeymen players (which would include my friend). He never mentioned incentives, but I'm sure they were in place. In fact, from what the ESPN four said (who could somehow never be located or interviewed by the NCAA again) it really sounds like the same old system, updated. The system permeated the whole program to the point that it'd be scarcely believable that any of the players didn't know about it. Don't forget that Barkley has freely admitted that he was paid while he played at AU...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't forget that Barkley has freely admitted that he was paid while he played at AU...
That's true. In fact, I saw it in "The Commercial Appeal" in 1988. Auburn was subsequently put on probation - both their basketball and tennis programs.

Ultimate irony? Dye was in Boston presenting the findings of the internal investigation on the same day the Eric Ramsey story hit the front page of "The Montgomery Advertiser."

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Selma, not sure I'm following your thinking here. Would you mind elaborating?

He FUMBLED the ball, and we recovered it needing only a FG to win. Unfortunately, we didn't do it, and as Tide graduate (and author Scot Brown said in "The Uncivil War") it "unleashed a decade of Pat Dye acting childish in the face of success."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selma, not sure I'm following your thinking here. Would you mind elaborating?

He FUMBLED the ball, and we recovered it needing only a FG to win. Unfortunately, we didn't do it, and as Tide graduate (and author Scot Brown said in "The Uncivil War") it "unleashed a decade of Pat Dye acting childish in the face of success."
In the 1982 game, Auburn got the ball back with a chance to run out the clock (about 1:45 or so left). Bo did the same play he had scored on and fumbled the ball. We RECOVERED the fumble, but we turned it over on downs and Auburn won, 23-22.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
In the 1982 game, Auburn got the ball back with a chance to run out the clock (about 1:45 or so left). Bo did the same play he had scored on and fumbled the ball. We RECOVERED the fumble, but we turned it over on downs and Auburn won, 23-22.
I remember that now. We gained more than 500 yards in that game and still lost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.