Who ya got? OU or aTm?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't really care, but it T&M comes out and plays half as good as they did against us, they beat OU walking away.

I suspect JM and Co will have a field day against an inexplicably poor OU defense.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
maybe, but right after the SECCG, all the dawg fans I know told me they are now huge Irish fans.
Any real dawg fans going to be pulling for the s.e.c. team. The majority of our fanbase is not pulling for notre dame. I live/work/commute between athens and atlanta.

Last edited by a moderator:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I haven't seen anything this year to suggest OU can stop A&M. Against mediocre teams they were in shootouts and barely won. Against the two decent defenses they played (KSU and ND) they scored 19 and 13 and lost at home. A&M is better offensively than anyone they played and their D is probably equal to the two teams that beat them. A&M by 21.
Really...the A&M defense is as good as KSU or ND? Sumlin has never been known as a defensive coach. I don't get the faith in the A&M D. They gave up 27 to Ole Miss, 57 to La.Tech, 28 to Sam Houston St., 29 to Missouri, and even 21 to Auburn. Their defensive stats aren't those of a great D. They can score, but so can OU. It may come down to whoever has the ball last. A&M scored 45 ppg, but gave up 22 ppg this year. OU scored 40 ppg and gave up 24. Some seem to think A&M and Manziel will score at will against OU, but somehow that great Aggie defense will shutdown Landry Jones and OU...I don't see it.

harleyspoon

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 12, 2012
Really...the A&M defense is as good as KSU or ND? Sumlin has never been known as a defensive coach. I don't get the faith in the A&M D. They gave up 27 to Ole Miss, 57 to La.Tech, 28 to Sam Houston St., 29 to Missouri, and even 21 to Auburn. Their defensive stats aren't those of a great D. They can score, but so can OU. It may come down to whoever has the ball last. A&M scored 45 ppg, but gave up 22 ppg this year. OU scored 40 ppg and gave up 24. Some seem to think A&M and Manziel will score at will against OU, but somehow that great Aggie defense will shutdown Landry Jones and OU...I don't see it.
I can see how just looking at what you have stated would lead you to believe that A&M's defense is second-rate. However, like so many things the devil is in the details. Here is what happened with defense in each of the games you reference:

Ole Miss: Six turnovers....not the defense's fault. You give up points when you give the other team the ball inside your thirty.

La Tech: Four defensive starters were suspended for the game due to disciplinary action from the Summer (LA Tech supposed to be our first game). A&M played only fifteen defensive players in the entire game against what is/was statistically the nation's most productive offense.

Auburn: A&M lead 49-7 in the third quarter when Sumlin pulled the starters and put in the second and third string.

Sam Houston: A&M lead 52-10 late in the third quarter when Sumlin took out the starters and put in the second and third string.

Missouri: A&M lead 47-7 late in the third quarter when Sumlin took out the starters and put in second and third string.

The "so what": A&M and others recognized coming into the conference that our biggest issue was defensive depth once you got past the first string guys. We knew/know that you can't survive for long in the SEC without defensive depth. This has been our biggest focus in a great 2013 recruiting class of high schoolers and JUCO recruits. At this time, we simply don't have the depth needed on defensive for a slug fest with the likes of BAMA, UGA, UF and LSU. Potent offense in our games in the conference helped mitigate that problem this year. However, when players were suspended and/or the defensive second stringers came in...the result was ugly as you can see from the above. Our expectation is that the first string defensive guys will not be pulled in the OU game and that defensive starters will not be suspended for that game. Now....if the offense commits five turnovers like we did against LSU....OU will score a bunch of points. Sure hoping we both win our games.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They held us to 24.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
IMO great play by the A&M defense didn't "hold" us to 24 anymore than the great play of the UGA defense in the SECCG "held" us to 32. We could've and should've scored at least 30+ on A&M and 40+ on UGA. I think some are underestimating the OU offense and overestimating the A&M defense. OU's offensive capabilities are closer to Bama's than A&M's defense is to ND. If A&M wins, it'll be because their offense outscored OU, not because their defense shut 'em down.

Perhaps that's what CNS was referring to when he said "is this what we want football too be". I know I'm old school, but giving up 24 points is not what I would call "holding" someone.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IMO great play by the A&M defense didn't "hold" us to 24 anymore than the great play of the UGA defense in the SECCG "held" us to 32. We could've and should've scored at least 30+ on A&M and 40+ on UGA.
OK, fine, then we'll just look at the NCAA stats:
OU scoring D: 43rd
A&M scoring D: 30th

OU scoring O: 12th
A&M scoring O: 3rd

OU Sagarin SOS: 9th
A&M Sagarin SOS: 6th

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
OK, fine, then we'll just look at the NCAA stats:
OU scoring D: 43rd
A&M scoring D: 30th

OU scoring O: 12th
A&M scoring O: 3rd

OU Sagarin SOS: 9th
A&M Sagarin SOS: 6th
So...they both can score, but neither plays much D. Isn't that kinda what I inferred originally? :wink:

ND was #1 in scoring defense. #30 is hardly equal to #1. In my first post I never picked a winner. A&M may win, but it won't be because their D shut OU down. OU has only been held under 20 points twice this year, Kansas St.-19 and ND-13. But now some seem to think that the A&M defense is gonna step up. They aren't gonna shut 'em out. IMO, they won't hold 'em under 20. In fact, I don't think they'll hold 'em under 30, but that doesn't mean they won't win.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So...they both can score, but neither plays much D. Isn't that kinda what I inferred originally? :wink:

ND was #1 in scoring defense. #30 is hardly equal to #1. In my first post I never picked a winner. A&M may win, but it won't be because their D shut OU down. OU has only been held under 20 points twice this year, Kansas St.-19 and ND-13. But now some seem to think that the A&M defense is gonna step up. They aren't gonna shut 'em out. IMO, they won't hold 'em under 20. In fact, I don't think they'll hold 'em under 30, but that doesn't mean they won't win.
You must be confusing my posts with someone else's - I only said I don't think the Sooners awful D can keep A&M bottled up all night.

There's really nothing that points to an OU win, other than the quirkiness of the game. OU is a decent team, but with far greater deficiencies than A&M. IMO, had OU played A&M's schedule this year, they'd barely be bowling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.