Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Has anyone had a chance to watch any Notre Dame games?

Notre Dame on offense ranks 76th overall in passing with 218.8 yards per game, 27th rushing with 202.5 yards per game but they rank 76th overall in scoring offense only averaging 27 points a game. Alabama on the other hand ranks 85th overall in passing with 214.5 a game, 20th overall in rushing with 224.6 yards a game and 15th overall in scoring offense averaging 38.5 points a game. ND doesn't seem to have a problem moving the ball but they do not score as often as we do. I can't wait to play them January 7th!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Lots of good analysis. I haven't watched more than a few plays. I do remember one of the announcers mentioning their QB grips the ball away from the laces. Very unconventional but he does seem to have a pretty good gun.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    That USC game is a throwaway other than the fact a bad USC defense stalled ND a bit. It looks like Notre Dame has similar problems that we experience on offense: we have games where we put up big yardage but settle for a lot of field goals. By yardage, ND should have had 28-31 points...ended up with only 22. I find it interesting that they struggled against a truly pitiful defense at that juncture. Of course, I bet penalties and missed assignments probably had a lot to do with it too.

Red Zone production is actually up for the Tide this year. We are scoring 29% more touchdowns this year than the previous 5 years, and 26% more against ranked teams. Notre Dame is scoring 20% fewer TDs, and 25% fewer against ranked teams, compared to their 5-year average, and that includes a year in which they scored 0 TDs against ranked teams.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjosecrimson View Post
    that's why I put in bold with Barkely at QB. can you honestly say that ND would still hold Lee/Woods under their season average with a 4 year starter , Heisman hopeful under center playing at home???????
    It's not a particularly tall order to ask one of the nation's top defenses to hold anyone to below their season average. Plus, their averages are ridiculously high, especially M. Lee.
    Last edited by cbi1972; December 10th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    2nd half offensive play calling vs UGA = 14+ point victory. ND does not have the talent UGA has and we can pound them into submission.
    I hope you're right. We can't do what OU tried (abandon the run; throw 40+ times). I hope we learned the lesson from UGA; rely on our OL and force them to stop the run; then look for that PA pass.

My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Living in central Indiana I've had no choice but to watch most of their games. Many of the people I deal with on a day to day basis are ND fans, so I have to stay fairly aware of their team to hold a decent conversation. Here's my analysis based on what I've seen.

1. Notre Dame consistently plays to the level of their competition. This team that quite handily beat Oklahoma, took 3OT's to beat Pitt. The same team that took out USC in LA, beat Purdue by 3 points. Notre Dame is a team of survivors, they won't dominate anybody, but they can still beat anyone on a given day.

2. One of the biggest things that helps ND is the experience on the team. People think that they are a young team because they are starting a frosh QB, but that's just not the case. They have 8 upperclassmen that start on defense, both runningbacks are seniors, and 4 of their starting 5 O-linemen are seniors. This team is loaded with experience, which is the main reason that they are unflappable down the stretch.

3. Their biggest weakness on defense is their secondary, their biggest strength is their front 7. The ND defense is more than just Teo, they have a number of players up front that can hold their own. They are big, they are smart, but they are slow. On offense, they have a stellar O-line, but their biggest weakness is that they really don't have a dominant receiver. The best player on offense is Tyler Eiffert at TE who might be a matchup nightmare for us, but the good news is we will be able to load the box to stop the run if needed.

4. Everret Gholson has matured down the stretch. At the start of the season he was the weakness on the offense, now he has added a completely different dynamic to their offense. He doesn't have the best arm, but there aren't to many quarterbacks that are better at extending plays as EG. I would imagine we will play a good bit with one of our linebackers in spy to keep him inside the pocket.

The are two big keys to this game. We need to win the turnover battle, and we need to control their ground game. If Notre Dame can't run, then they can't move the ball. As every game does, this game will be won in the trenches, and I do believe it will be a battle. I think when the clock hits zero, we will have won by a decently comfortable margin, however, I don't believe they ND can be taken lightly.

One other thing I will add, I talk to a lot of ND fans, and the vast majority of them are really nervous about this game. Naturally every team has pessimistic fans, but I've met quite a few people who believe that Notre Dame doesn't have a prayer in this game.

Roll Tide
    Last edited by BamaHoosier; December 10th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Notre Dame on offense ranks 76th overall in passing with 218.8 yards per game, 27th rushing with 202.5 yards per game but they rank 76th overall in scoring offense only averaging 27 points a game. Alabama on the other hand ranks 85th overall in passing with 214.5 a game, 20th overall in rushing with 224.6 yards a game and 15th overall in scoring offense averaging 38.5 points a game. ND doesn't seem to have a problem moving the ball but they do not score as often as we do. I can't wait to play them January 7th!!!
    most of the ND fans I have talked to have told me the biggest thing that scares them is their ineffectiveness in the red zone. They wind up having to kick a lot of field goals when they should be looking at touchdowns.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamabomber View Post
    most of the ND fans I have talked to have told me the biggest thing that scares them is their ineffectiveness in the red zone. They wind up having to kick a lot of field goals when they should be looking at touchdowns.
    Exactly. That's why I'm so confident that Alabama can beat ND by at least 14 if we show up and play as good as this team is capable of playing.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Over the last couple of weeks I have watched a few of their games. I may be in the minority, but I believe the ND with all of their experience is as good defensively as LSU, Georgia (while not nearly as talented overall a these two), and TAMU. Offensively they are more than adequate. All three of these games were dogfights for us, and I expect this one to be too. I know that most will expect us to be able to throw on them, and I doubt we will be able to run all over them. However, I expect our running game to be the difference again.

BamaNation All-SEC

I've seen four of their games. They have improved over the season and play disciplined football in all three phases of the game. As others have said, they play hard, to the whistle and have a lot of experienced senior leadership. Their inability to score TDs in the red zone has made games that should have been comfortable wins into squeakers. They are very solid on D in the red zone, though. They scheme to get Teo roaming free and have the supporting cast to do it. If we can get to the edge on them, then I think our speed is a problem for their D. I would think our playcalling/game plan from the UGA game would be the blueprint. We have a serious match up problem at WR, but don't expect them to just come out slinging it. They want to do what we do. If our front 7 controls their run game, then we should win fairly handily -- JW needs to do his usual fine job of creating pile-ups in the middle and commanding double teams. I do not think they will be fast enough to outrun us to the edge. I expect they will have trouble simulating our RBs in practice I look for us to have a some trouble moving it during the first half, but to get rolling in the second as we wear them down and the team speed difference starts to show up. Run/stop run/don't turn it over (including having stupid blocked kick returned all the way).
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

They are certainly better than TAMU and UGA on defense, not sure they are better than LSU due to overall team speed. Offensively they are better than LSU and equal to UGA.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by bamabomber View Post
    2. One of the biggest things that helps ND is the experience on the team. People think that they are a young team because they are starting a frosh QB, but that's just not the case. They have 8 upperclassmen that start on defense, both runningbacks are seniors, and 4 of their starting 5 O-linemen are seniors. This team is loaded with experience, which is the main reason that they are unflappable down the stretch.
    I agree with the experience being key.
    I heard somebody on tv/radio mention ND being a young team the other day and how they would be a top team next year. I looked at their roster and 8 of the offensive starters are seniors with 3 of those 5th year seniors.
    The other RB and a couple of backups are seniors too.

My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    I agree with the experience being key.
    I heard somebody on tv/radio mention ND being a young team the other day and how they would be a top team next year. I looked at their roster and 8 of the offensive starters are seniors with 3 of those 5th year seniors.
    The other RB and a couple of backups are seniors too.
    That seems to be the general consensus of the ND faithful as well. Even their own fans don't realize how old they actually are. They will only have 1 returning starter on the offensive line, they will be losing both of their top backs in Woods and Riddick, they are losing their top weapon in Eiffert, and they are losing 2 of their top 3 receivers as well. Defense will be a different story, but there will be some big losses as well. They only have 4 graduating seniors on the D, most notably will be Teo, but they do have several draft eligible juniors as well. They will be solid next year, but they will not have nearly the team they do this year though.

BamaNation All-American RollTideMang's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    That's the best question we can ask! But other than Bama what team is better? I don't think ND is anywhere close to that.
    I think a better question is "are they better than TAMU in Tuscaloosa". If the answer is no, then they won't beat us since that was the only game we lost this year.