Has anyone had a chance to watch any Notre Dame games?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yeah sorry about the elite I've spent a little too much time on their message boards. They seem to think that Eiffert and Riddick combined are an unstoppable force.
do yourself a favor, stop reading their message boards. you must remember that this is new territory for the young domers. its been close to 25 years since they were relevant. :)

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
QBs who can run give Alabama trouble. I worry about the ND QB extending plays and drives with his legs. I hope Vinnie will come up to meet him early in the game. The TE is trouble, so jam him at the line.
Throw long to Cooper early to get them to worry about him. The Alabama O line will win this NC.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
do yourself a favor, stop reading their message boards. you must remember that this is new territory for the young domers. its been close to 25 years since they were relevant. :)
Seeing their delusion makes me smile a little bit. Plus I like being a little agitated. They don't control their board as well as tidefans some of the stuff on there is pretty sad.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I have a lifelong desire to not watch any ND game. (with the exception of 4-5...In each of those, their opponent wore Crimson...) ;)

But since I was slow on the remote control & to me any college football is better than none, I've seen a bit of them this year. Lot of heart & desire, plus some size.

Generally though, given at least equal talent + something to play for, and given a month to prepare, I like our chances against anyone.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I don't think their QB is anything to worry about. I think the "Alabama has trouble with mobile QBs" thing is mostly wrong. Cam Newton was the best college player ever, and they held him to nothing for most of the game. I still think that game was more about losing concentration than anything else. And as for Manziel, he didn't do much with his legs in the second half. Both of those guys were heisman winners too. Golson is a decent player, but I've watched some of their games and he's nowhere near the threat that those two are.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't think their QB is anything to worry about. I think the "Alabama has trouble with mobile QBs" thing is mostly wrong. Cam Newton was the best college player ever, and they held him to nothing for most of the game. I still think that game was more about losing concentration than anything else. And as for Manziel, he didn't do much with his legs in the second half. Both of those guys were heisman winners too. Golson is a decent player, but I've watched some of their games and he's nowhere near the threat that those two are.
It's less about a QB running for big yardage than extending plays beyond the length of time that a DB can keep a receiver covered.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
It's less about a QB running for big yardage than extending plays beyond the length of time that a DB can keep a receiver covered.
There's still just as many examples of teams with running QBs that didn't do anything. Plus, Golson just doesn't look to be on the same level as those other guys. If Alabama loses this game it will be because the ND defense plays big, not the QB scrambling around.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
There's still just as many examples of teams with running QBs that didn't do anything. Plus, Golson just doesn't look to be on the same level as those other guys. If Alabama loses this game it will be because the ND defense plays big, not the QB scrambling around.
Jordan Jefferson beat Alabama twice. What level was he on? Add Tebow, Cam, and Johnny Fball and you can start to get an idea of the type QB who could beat Alabama.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Jordan Jefferson beat Alabama twice. What level was he on? Add Tebow, Cam, and Johnny Fball and you can start to get an idea of the type QB who could beat Alabama.
LSU scored 9 points in overtime in last year's game.

You guys are confusing things. If Alabama played some great heisman-winning pocket passer they'd probably have just as much of a problem. The fact that they've lost to 3 heisman winning scramblers doesn't mean they have a problem with scramblers in general. Denard Robinson looked completely incompetent. Hell, Cam even looked incompetent in the first half.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
2010 they ran all over us. Granted Jefferson made one big pass and Lee made one big pass but it was primarily their defense and run game that won the game. 2011 same exact thing except this time it was mainly their defense and punter.

As floydian said getting beat by a Heisman winner who happens to be a scrambler doesn't mean we automatically have problems with scramblers. If we had played a Heisman winning pocket passer we probably would have had problems as well.

There is no doubt that scrambling QB's cause problems but so do elite pocket passers.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Most of these QBs we are talking about played out of their minds to beat us. Think about the throws Tebow made in the 2008 SECCG. How perfectly Garcia played in 2010. LSU 2011 isn't a good example, that was just a weird game.

In most of these games we beat ourselves, too. Turnovers, blown opportunities, penalties...

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, but if we play mistake-free ball it will be VERY tough for ND to win.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Lots of good analysis. I haven't watched more than a few plays. I do remember one of the announcers mentioning their QB grips the ball away from the laces. Very unconventional but he does seem to have a pretty good gun.
This is correct (sorry if I have missed other analysis on this as I skipped ahead). Golson doesn't grip the ball on the laces. He also has a bad habit of holding the ball like a loaf of bread. The reason is he has the biggest hands out of any quarterback I have ever seen. I mean like freakish big. It doesn't mean much, but if you watch the highlights from the Wake Forest game (you can probably just you tube the highlights), you will see a massive pump fake he does that goes for a TD. He has the ability to pump fake like crazy.

LOL I know that doesn't mean much, but just commenting. Anyway, our red zone scoring has been pitiful. Against USC, we kept trying to get the fade or out to Eifert. I think if EG gets that down before the NCG, it is VERY deadly. Not many can stop Eifert if he boxes you out and goes up for it.

Anywa, I have one more final tomorrow, so after that I will be back for much more analysis. RT..... err wait, I'm coming to this board too much. GO IRISH!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think QBs who can improvise with their feet when the pocket breaks down is a problem any good defense will have. The intention of any pass defense call is to get to he passer and make him throw early or get sacked. When the passer is mobile enough to make a guy miss and extend the play or get yardage on a run, it will hurt any defense.

I think LSU is a good analogy for ND's offense. It's kind of "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" deal. They do enough things well on the ground that they can keep you from getting to crazy with blitzes and it opens up easier passing opportunities for a decent QB. Standing on it's own, their QB isn't that great but within that offense he can be the thing that breaks your back on a 3rd down where he extends the play or runs for the first. Their defense keeps them in games, so just getting a handful of plays where he breaks you down can be huge despite defending well most of the night. It's basically the LSU style: hang close, run the ball, make plays at the end.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd agree though that if Alabama doesn't have a giveaway, it will be hard for ND to win. They aren't exactly the Bears in regards of scoring a lot of defensive TDs but turnovers have been a factor in points production for them.

The big problem I see is that Alabama has had 7 turnovers in their three biggest games this year. Ball security has been problem in the return game which is usually a killer momentum swinger. We have not played a mistake free game against any of the better teams. In fact, we've played 3 relatively mistake-filled games by Saban's standards and managed to win 2 of them and nearly won the other. I don't think we have to play mistake free but simply not make any of the stupid ones that kill momentum (on returns, deep in our territory, deep in their territory).

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
LSU scored 9 points in overtime in last year's game.

You guys are confusing things. If Alabama played some great heisman-winning pocket passer they'd probably have just as much of a problem. The fact that they've lost to 3 heisman winning scramblers doesn't mean they have a problem with scramblers in general. Denard Robinson looked completely incompetent. Hell, Cam even looked incompetent in the first half.
There hasn't been a Heisman winning pocket passer during this run and Alabama doesn't lose to statue QBs.

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004
ND had obvious help from the officials to beat Pitt when they were trailing. They also had major help from the officials on the goal line against Stanford. They do not belong in the NC game.

The only thing that could keep ND in the game would be more turnovers or more poor play calling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.