Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Any Updates on Arrested former Auburn Players?

One of them was convicted earleir this year but hadn'rt heard about the trial for the other three.

Anybody heard anything?
    Last edited by NoNC4Tubs; December 10th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: So what's going on with the Trailer Park Four

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    One of them was convicted earleir this year but hadn'rt heard about the trial for the other three.

Anybody heard anything?
    No trees died, only people's lives were in danger. Not worth talking about in the media.

BamaNation First Team

Anybody heard anything?
    Last I saw was in early October - postponed again--------

http://theplainsman.com/bookmark/20343560

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by OBMS View Post
    Last I saw was in early October - postponed again--------

http://theplainsman.com/bookmark/20343560
    Why so long on an open and shut case. They admitted that they did it. When they were pulled over moments after the robbery, they had the stolen property in their possession. What possible difference could the testing make?

BamaNation First Team

Why so long on an open and shut case. They admitted that they did it. When they were pulled over moments after the robbery, they had the stolen property in their possession. What possible difference could the testing make?
    It isn't that simple. IIRC, the original prosecutor took a new job which triggered one delay. Now it looks like the defense got it continued once. Each time, it isn't simply going to be pushed to next week. I will have to be rescheduled for whenever Lee County is holding criminal jury trials (some small counties only do that a couple of times a year) - but given Lee County's size there will probably already be trials scheduled at that time. Then you've got to consider the availability of lawyers and witnesses to make sure everyone can attend.

In a nutshell, the real world isn't a Law and Order episode. The wheels of justice actually turn very, very slowly.

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

There were also some issues that came out after Dyer and others testified during the first trial. You add the delay for the Asst DA that was prosecuting taking a job in Montgomery and one guy being evaluated to see if he is competent to stand trial, then there are delays upon delays for motions being filed.

It seems to me, they could have graduated before this dang trial is over and the guy that is in jail might be eligible for release on good behavior. He got 15 yrs!

BamaNation First Team Bamagirl26's Avatar

Re: Any Updates on Arrested former Auburn Players?

I used to work for one of their defense attorneys. He will drag this out as long as possible.
    Trapped in enemy territory!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Lawyer trick. Keeping Junior out of jail a little longer..., It's what they are paid to do.
    The name of the game is postpone,postpone,postpone.
    If the courts let it go on too long, things have a way of happening.
    Sometimes memories get fuzzy,Sometimes witnesses seem to disappear,
    Sometimes confessions are tossed out...lots of things can happen to aid the Defense.
    BUT
    It also buys time to talk up Plea Bargains for their clients.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; December 11th, 2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: change text

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

and who knows...someone at the 'Barn might be hoping that it keeps getting pushed out...keep it out of sight and out of mind

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Lawyer trick. Keeping Junior out of jail a little longer..., It's what they are paid to do.
    The name of the game is postpone,postpone,postpone.
    If the courts let it go on too long, things have a way of happening.
    Sometimes memories get fuzzy,Sometimes witnesses seem to disappear,
    Sometimes confessions are tossed out...lots of things can happen to aid the Defense.
    BUT
    It also buys time to talk up Plea Bargains for their clients.
    Plus a jury might tend to be harsher on a fresh crime than one that happened a long time ago. Stall and stall some more. Of course, the legal bill goes up the longer he stalls, so that's another potential plus from the defending lawyer's viewpoint.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

If they only hold criminal court a couple of times a year in Lee County, aren't the chances good an Auburn player will be there?

It is true that delays seem to soften the judge on the case, probably the prosecutors, especially if no one is lobbying for you to go to jail.

BamaNation All-American

Are all three of them using the same lawyer?

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    If they only hold criminal court a couple of times a year in Lee County, aren't the chances good an Auburn player will be there?

It is true that delays seem to soften the judge on the case, probably the prosecutors, especially if no one is lobbying for you to go to jail.
    To clarify my earlier post, I'm sure Lee county holds criminal jury trials more than a couple of times a year because they're much bigger than a county like Coosa.

And no, it doesn't mean that the Auburn folks would get the next slot. It isn't a first in first out sort of thing. Let's say they do criminal trials in January, March, May, June, September, and November and scheduled the Auburn guys for January. They almost certainly also filled up the trial dates for at least March and May. When the Auburn guys got delayed, you can't simply drop them in March because then you've got to try to reschedule the now displaced March trials. What happens is that they have to look further out for a date that is unfilled and works for both the prosecution and defense (both of which will have many more cases than just this one). Many (heck, maybe all) courts also don't hold trials in a couple of the summer months so a trial continued in January can easily wind up getting pushed all the way to the fall.