Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Few Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: A Few Questions

BTW, English. Few programs can recruit nationally. Alabama is one of them.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishTideFan View Post
    Hi guys

im sure if you have seen my posts i really know very little about recruiting... i cant really read much about it in England let alone watch games..... so i have quite a few questions and any help whould be very helpfull

1. Lets assume we get everyone who has already commited + the current team minus the ones we know will leave.... What positions are we strongest at and what positions are we looking to get commited in the last few weeks of the year......

2. This year according to http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/ there is 9 - 5* recruits who havent commited to a team..... how many are we looking to get and how often does a five star recruit bust in the college game???

3. What sites are the best to look at for recruiting news???

4. i will follow next years class much closer then this (easier to start for the beginning) when does the race start and who should i look out for already

Thanks you
    There are a number of sites to find recruiting information. This site is a good one. Some of the others are free, some require a subscription. Some here would scoff and outright dismiss www.bamamag.com but there are some guys on there who do their homework and know what they're talking about there too. It's free to post there.

The crazy thing is, there are some people who absolutely obsess over recruiting. There are and probably will always be wild rumors out there about recruits. Some people will see/hear something VERY minor about a recruit (e.g. a recruit is visiting his cousin who attends the University of Florida, and that recruit had previously shown ZERO interest in Florida). You'll see some guys make wild statements that somehow that means he's now going to college at Florida.

Anyhow, if you stay on here and www.bamamag.com, you'll gradually learn who seems to know what they're talking about when it comes to recruiting and who is just speculating.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone's really bothered to try to "own" Maine with regards to football recruiting. Hockey recruiting is a different story, at which point I'd say U. Maine, Boston College, and a handfull of other top-notch New England programs would get most of the cream of the crop from Maine. With football, not a lot of great names coming out of the area.

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    I don't think anyone's really bothered to try to "own" Maine with regards to football recruiting. Hockey recruiting is a different story, at which point I'd say U. Maine, Boston College, and a handfull of other top-notch New England programs would get most of the cream of the crop from Maine. With football, not a lot of great names coming out of the area.
    it was just an example my real question was is there a map of recruiting influence because you sometimes see Somone say "..... School has a long history of that area" but I don't know the history

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishTideFan View Post
    it was just an example my real question was is there a map of recruiting influence because you sometimes see Somone say "..... School has a long history of that area" but I don't know the history
    As one of the other guys said, Alabama is one school that does recruit nationally. However, most of the recruits come from Alabama/Georgia/Florida and a sprinkling from Tennessee/Mississippi/Louisiana/Texas. Still, Alabama is a big time program and they've got kids from Ohio, Maryland, even Australia.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of things I've picked up since following recruiting since 1999. I echo many sentiments that this board is as good as any other single source. Some will disagree but all the paid stuff is usually filtered through and the info finds it way here very quickly so there is no need to pay for anything. Secondly, recruiting is like a soap opera for men. There are many twists and turns and the final class is never what you think it will be. Be sure to watch a couple of all-star games such as Under-Armour game or Army all-american game. This will enable you to see the very best compete against each other and often there are many Bama commits playing so its fun to watch them before they don Crimson and White. Lastly, remember these are 18 year old boys that are making a very important decision. Some have great parents and grandparents and coaches that truly have their best interest in mind...other recruits don't have anybody but peddlers trying to live vicariously through their recruitment. Grab some popcorn these next two months will be exciting.

Cheers!
    The best defense is a good defense!