A Few Questions

EnglishTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
Hi guys

im sure if you have seen my posts i really know very little about recruiting... i cant really read much about it in England let alone watch games..... so i have quite a few questions and any help whould be very helpfull

1. Lets assume we get everyone who has already commited + the current team minus the ones we know will leave.... What positions are we strongest at and what positions are we looking to get commited in the last few weeks of the year......

2. This year according to http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/ there is 9 - 5* recruits who havent commited to a team..... how many are we looking to get and how often does a five star recruit bust in the college game???

3. What sites are the best to look at for recruiting news???

4. i will follow next years class much closer then this (easier to start for the beginning) when does the race start and who should i look out for already :)

Thanks you :)

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't have a whole lot of info or insight, even though I have been seriously following Tide recruiting since 2009. But, for example, Mark Ingram was a 3* recruit when he was signed. We all know how that turned out! SEC and NC, Heisman Trophy and first round draft pick to name a few accolades for Mark.

Our staff can take a player who wasn't ranked very high and turn them into something special. Hard work and dedication by the player goes a long way in Tuscaloosa.

If you have time, go back and read some of the threads in the Recruiting section to familiarize yourself with the who's, what's and when's. Recruiting can become sort of an addiction--a fun one! National Signing Day is almost a National Holiday in Alabama and on Tide Fans!! Roll Tide!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Hi guys

im sure if you have seen my posts i really know very little about recruiting... i cant really read much about it in England let alone watch games..... so i have quite a few questions and any help whould be very helpfull

1. Lets assume we get everyone who has already commited + the current team minus the ones we know will leave.... What positions are we strongest at and what positions are we looking to get commited in the last few weeks of the year......

2. This year according to http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/ there is 9 - 5* recruits who havent commited to a team..... how many are we looking to get and how often does a five star recruit bust in the college game???

4. i will follow next years class much closer then this (easier to start for the beginning) when does the race start and who should i look out for already :)

1. Runningback will easily be our strongest position. We'll have Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Derrick Henry, (who will be a 5star by the time it's said and done) Altee Tenpenny, and Tyren Jones who are both 4 stars. Keep in mind. that's how it stands now. It's still possible that a recruit or two might decommit, or a player could transfer, but even if that happens we will still be stacked.

2. That depends on who you ask. One service might say we are in the running for a player, while another service may not. At the very least, we are still working to get Robert Nkemdieche, Robert Foster, and Laremy Tunsil. We might be in the running for Reuben Foster and a couple of others, but we'll have to see.

3. Tidefans is my favorite recruiting site. There is a wealth of information right here, and it's all free. If you want some sights to surf, you can find info on Rivals.com, Scout.com, and 247.com. ESPN has a fair amount of information, but there are a lot of people who don't take them particularly seriously.

I hope this helps you. If you have any questions, always feel free to ask.

P.S. Welcome to our board!! It's always great to see fans from other parts of the world. Alabama football truly knows no borders.

Roll Tide

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
English, all I can say is it'd be so much easier if we had U13s, U15s and especially U17s - though that would deprive 'Bama fans of the gratification in watching Nick Saban and his staff coach them up (sometimes "most animatedly coach them up" if you've ever seen Coach Saban stalking them on the sideline) once they get to Tuscaloosa.

Speaking of coaching, to address your earlier question of my familiarity with the North of England (and the Midlands), I go way back to Sean Payton's time as player-coach with the Leicester Panthers and the great nicknames (if not great teams) such as the Brighton B-52s and the Black Country Nailers.

As for the other kind of football, you can call me Alabama Albion - as in Up the Albion and West Brom. Now there's a side, fast start this season notwithstanding, that could use some recruiting. And still haven't signed their first Yank - much to my and maybe Eric Clapton's chagrin.

MG

EnglishTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
one outher question.... is there a map of who has what state currently??? I went to maine once and really liked it and was wondering who has control of it :D

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
1. Runningback will easily be our strongest position. We'll have Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Derrick Henry, (who will be a 5star by the time it's said and done) Altee Tenpenny, and Tyren Jones who are both 4 stars. Keep in mind. that's how it stands now. It's still possible that a recruit or two might decommit, or a player could transfer, but even if that happens we will still be stacked.
Roll Tide
I will respectfully disagree, Lacy could go pro leaving us with one proven running back on a team that really needs 4. You can forget Fowler and Hart, they could both come back but It's rare for an athlete to be anywhere near 100% in the year after a major knee injury. For Hart this is #2, most players don't come back from that. Drake was "ok" to me. Elusive and fast but didn't break many tackles, fumbled several times, got suspended once, and from what I can tell was not trusted as a pass blocker. All of that he could correct but I wouldn't bet my 2013 season on it. "IF" we do sign Tenpenny AND Henry both I'll fee like this position is back in the green.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Lacy will almost certainly leave.

But in my opinion, Drake is far better than you describe. But T.J. and he will definitely need help. Jalston may slide over into the H back. Hart is a big question mark. That leaves the true freshmen to battle it out for the third spot. At least one of the three will red shirt. Somebody please let Coach Saban know so there's no confusion during the spring.

I will respectfully disagree, Lacy could go pro leaving us with one proven running back on a team that really needs 4. You can forget Fowler and Hart, they could both come back but It's rare for an athlete to be anywhere near 100% in the year after a major knee injury. For Hart this is #2, most players don't come back from that. Drake was "ok" to me. Elusive and fast but didn't break many tackles, fumbled several times, got suspended once, and from what I can tell was not trusted as a pass blocker. All of that he could correct but I wouldn't bet my 2013 season on it. "IF" we do sign Tenpenny AND Henry both I'll fee like this position is back in the green.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
one outher question.... is there a map of who has what state currently??? I went to maine once and really liked it and was wondering who has control of it :D
If you mean politically, Maine is a bit of a swing state, but New England swing state, which is very different from deep South swing state. Perhaps the non-sports forum would be the place to discuss that issue. Maine also has some serious economic issues that preceded the nationwide economic downturn, but again, best left for non-sports category.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

2. That depends on who you ask. One service might say we are in the running for a player, while another service may not. At the very least, we are still working to get Robert Nkemdieche, Robert Foster, and Laremy Tunsil. We might be in the running for Reuben Foster and a couple of others, but we'll have to see.

3. Tidefans is my favorite recruiting site. There is a wealth of information right here, and it's all free. If you want some sights to surf, you can find info on Rivals.com, Scout.com, and 247.com. ESPN has a fair amount of information, but there are a lot of people who don't take them particularly seriously.

I hope this helps you. If you have any questions, always feel free to ask.

P.S. Welcome to our board!! It's always great to see fans from other parts of the world. Alabama football truly knows no borders.

Roll Tide
I think Espn's reputation has built to the point that Scout is the site that people don't take seriously. Espn actually has some pretty good information and has put enough money into it that they are now one of the premier sites. I don't subscribe to any of them cause tidefans is enough, but the posters on here who would know have said it is now one of the better ones.

EnglishTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
If you mean politically, Maine is a bit of a swing state, but New England swing state, which is very different from deep South swing state. Perhaps the non-sports forum would be the place to discuss that issue. Maine also has some serious economic issues that preceded the nationwide economic downturn, but again, best left for non-sports category.
No in terms of recruiting... Always interested me that say Alabama controls not only this state but also can rip up Georgia too (for example)

If there was a 5* player out of Maine who is the powerhouse who should pick him up like if a 5* guy was out of bama is going to look to come to us

namath70

Scout Team
Jun 16, 2009
You gotta be joking! If you're simply talking about playing time you might have an argument, but Yeldon and Drake were not proven and look what they did. Even if Lacy leaves, you might have potentially and statistically "one of" the best backfields any Bama team has ever had. First of all, I think it's premature to "forget" Fowler and Hart, case in point, look at Dont'a Hightower for example. Any way you have (Future Heisman trophy winner) TJ Yeldon!!!!!, Down hill runner and blocker Jalston Fowler FB, Kenyon Drake (ranked 13th nationally in 2011)(will improve and be much better) , Derrick Henry (National High School's all-time leading rusher with 12,122 yards and 3rd nationally!!!) That's almost 1, 000 yards better than the previous 59 year mark set by Ken Hill, Tyren Jones (Rushed for 1682 yards and 16 tds in just 8 games this year before his injury and 7th nationally) Altee Tenpenny (ranked 4th nationally) Dee Hart (Ranked 1st nationally in 2011, rivals) Brent Calloway (ranked 5th nationally in 2011)( possibly moved back to linebacker in 2013 because of the depth) Alvin Kamara?( Ranked 4th nationally)Hot race between us and GA). IMO this 2013 class is better than any I've seen. I'm not taking anything away from Ingram and Richardson, but this class stacks up with more. If we get our current commits and pick up Kamara, watch out!!

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
No in terms of recruiting... Always interested me that say Alabama controls not only this state but also can rip up Georgia too (for example)

If there was a 5* player out of Maine who is the powerhouse who should pick him up like if a 5* guy was out of bama is going to look to come to us
It's mostly a regional thing. 5 star guy out of Maine...would be surprising, not a lot of big time talent comes from there - but you'd see schools like ND, Syracuse, Penn State, Rutgers, etc, getting involved.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
Hi guys

There are a number of sites to find recruiting information. This site is a good one. Some of the others are free, some require a subscription. Some here would scoff and outright dismiss www.bamamag.com but there are some guys on there who do their homework and know what they're talking about there too. It's free to post there.

The crazy thing is, there are some people who absolutely obsess over recruiting. There are and probably will always be wild rumors out there about recruits. Some people will see/hear something VERY minor about a recruit (e.g. a recruit is visiting his cousin who attends the University of Florida, and that recruit had previously shown ZERO interest in Florida). You'll see some guys make wild statements that somehow that means he's now going to college at Florida.

Anyhow, if you stay on here and www.bamamag.com, you'll gradually learn who seems to know what they're talking about when it comes to recruiting and who is just speculating.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I don't think anyone's really bothered to try to "own" Maine with regards to football recruiting. Hockey recruiting is a different story, at which point I'd say U. Maine, Boston College, and a handfull of other top-notch New England programs would get most of the cream of the crop from Maine. With football, not a lot of great names coming out of the area.

EnglishTideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2012
I don't think anyone's really bothered to try to "own" Maine with regards to football recruiting. Hockey recruiting is a different story, at which point I'd say U. Maine, Boston College, and a handfull of other top-notch New England programs would get most of the cream of the crop from Maine. With football, not a lot of great names coming out of the area.
it was just an example my real question was is there a map of recruiting influence because you sometimes see Somone say "..... School has a long history of that area" but I don't know the history

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
it was just an example my real question was is there a map of recruiting influence because you sometimes see Somone say "..... School has a long history of that area" but I don't know the history
As one of the other guys said, Alabama is one school that does recruit nationally. However, most of the recruits come from Alabama/Georgia/Florida and a sprinkling from Tennessee/Mississippi/Louisiana/Texas. Still, Alabama is a big time program and they've got kids from Ohio, Maryland, even Australia.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
A couple of things I've picked up since following recruiting since 1999. I echo many sentiments that this board is as good as any other single source. Some will disagree but all the paid stuff is usually filtered through and the info finds it way here very quickly so there is no need to pay for anything. Secondly, recruiting is like a soap opera for men. There are many twists and turns and the final class is never what you think it will be. Be sure to watch a couple of all-star games such as Under-Armour game or Army all-american game. This will enable you to see the very best compete against each other and often there are many Bama commits playing so its fun to watch them before they don Crimson and White. Lastly, remember these are 18 year old boys that are making a very important decision. Some have great parents and grandparents and coaches that truly have their best interest in mind...other recruits don't have anybody but peddlers trying to live vicariously through their recruitment. Grab some popcorn these next two months will be exciting.

Cheers!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.