Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Suspended
    Recipes
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Attendance for college football decreases again.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._river_default

The price of tickets IMO is causing this. No incentive to go to game with gas prices, cost of tickets, concessions and 24/7 TV.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Attendance for college football decreases again.

Correct, lack of jobs and rising cost of everything.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; December 11th, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: NO political discussions allowed on the Football board.
    “ The Crimson Tide of Alabama” Now that has a majestic ring to it!

Yeah, clearly it's all cost of tickets...

Because adding programs like South Alabama, with their dirt cheap tickets, and their average attendance of 16,793 absolutely couldn't do anything to bring down average attendance numbers.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Without getting too political --- high unemployment rates, more PT jobs, and higher taxes coming -- I'm not surprised one bit.

Plus -- at home I get to pee and be back before missing anything -- and with the size of the TVs now -- watching at home is much more enjoyable than it used to be.
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation First Team fralo4tide's Avatar

That may very well be true, but the stadium portrayed in that article is not an appropriate gauge for what is being seen across the country. You see, there was a special reason why that particular stadium was relatively empty this year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I gotta say, going to the stadium has become a huge and expensive hassle.

For now it's 100% economics.

But warning to the rule changers......look at Nascar!

Saturday I heard two ESPN radio commentators arguing that we should just scrap the kickoff, no brainer because "safety first". The guy for scrapping the kickoff thought that even debating it was ridiculous because he had "safety" in his corner and anyone who though differently was an outcast or something. But there is a compromise point regarding safety, if not, our cars would have roll cages and Hans devices.

I hope that PC doesn't ruin football.

But as of right now, it's the horrible economy.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I blame it on the students
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    For now it's 100% economics.
    That may be true for some schools and even some fans, but it's clearly not the case with the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and other schools whose average attendance is essentially at stadium capacity.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'll be honest. Me personally, I would rather watch football games on my family's 70" tv than going and sitting in a crowded stadium. I like to go every once in awhile, but it isn't something I want to do every home game. I know a lot of people wouldn't trade the gameday experience for nothing, but I would rather watch on tv.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

I am definitely part of the problem here

Family and I were planning on going to one game this year, haven't been to Tuscaloosa in years though I have gone to the SEC Champ games we were in prior to this year and the Clemson/VT games in Atlanta. We targeted the A&M Game

Looked at the cost of Tickets + Hotel + travel + food and figured the weekend would set me back $1,500 - $2,000. Took the lower amount and used it as a budget to put in a 1080p projector, screen and new home theater sound system instead. Spent just over $1,500 and now watch games on a 120 inch screen and got to avoid spending all that money on watching us lose to A&M

BamaNation Second Team Bamatim15's Avatar

I agree it's the higher cost of tickets. It's like NASCAR. I live near Bristol Motor Speedway and I can remember buying tickets for $55 and they were great seats. Parked within 200 yards of the track for $5.Then as the sport grew more popular the prices started climbing. Now it's $180 (and you have to pay in advance) and parking is $20. People who live out of state have to pay if they can find one for a hotel room and some places have you stay at least 2 nights. Take in the fact that alot of people have lost their jobs there's no wonder you are seeing empty seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamatim15 View Post
    I agree it's the higher cost of tickets. It's like NASCAR. I live near Bristol Motor Speedway and I can remember buying tickets for $55 and they were great seats. Parked within 200 yards of the track for $5.Then as the sport grew more popular the prices started climbing. Now it's $180 (and you have to pay in advance) and parking is $20. People who live out of state have to pay if they can find one for a hotel room and some places have you stay at least 2 nights. Take in the fact that alot of people have lost their jobs there's no wonder you are seeing empty seats.
    I used to live right down the road, about a half mile off 11E near Winged Deer Park. We HATED race weekend, because we couldn't get anywhere. We'd do a shop on Thursday and stay home all weekend out of necessity. But I agree with you. As the prices rose, a lot of my friends stopped going because their families couldn't afford to go, even without having to get a hotel.