Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Attendance for college football decreases again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    That may be true for some schools and even some fans, but it's clearly not the case with the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and other schools whose average attendance is essentially at stadium capacity.
    That's not the question It's overall. If something is not happening in your house doesn't mean that it is not happening

2. Advertisement

while a lot of money was spent the weeks my wife and I had in atlanta and pasadena were well worth the costs although i probably wouldn't feel the same if we had lost

Quote Originally Posted by Bamatim15 View Post
    I agree it's the higher cost of tickets. It's like NASCAR.
    Not really a NASCAR fan, but my dad is, so we used to make the trek to Talladega each spring for the race. Catch bits of it on TV now, watching a few moments and have noticed they've altered the camera placement so as not to show the stands very much - when you see fan shots from the race, it's startling how many empty seats there are...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    I gotta say, going to the stadium has become a huge and expensive hassle.
    Not singling you out, but how do you explain A-Day attendance? Yes, it's relatively well supported but they couldn't fill it up, even after winning a NC!

There's free parking, free entrance. If you're starving you can even get a $5 pizza before you go in. It is the perfect situation for someone with a lot of kids that otherwise couldn't afford to get in, yet there are empty seats.

Having said that, I still think the main issue is these new programs entering the FBS. No one wants to see them play, yet they do play plenty of games and the result is lower attendance. I don't think prices are the issue, look at Alabama, the game day attendance is almost exclusively hampered by students not showing up.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 11th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Not singling you out, but how do you explain A-Day attendance? Yes, it's relatively well supported but they couldn't fill it up, even after winning a NC!

There's free parking, free entrance. If you're starving you can even get a $5 pizza before you go in. It is the perfect situation for someone with a lot of kids that otherwise couldn't afford to get in, yet there are empty seats.

Having said that, I still think the main issue is these new programs entering the FBS. No one wants to see them play, yet they do play plenty of games and the result is lower attendance. I don't think prices are the issue, look at Alabama, the game day attendance is almost exclusively hampered by students not showing up.
    We are on a roll. Comparing one program's attendance to another is not the question. It is a much more universal trend.

When there is a good product people will pay a lot to see it. It was not so long ago that there were plenty of empty seats in Bryant Denny on most game days. Price is an issue when it reaches the point where you price yourself right out of a market. I think sports in general is reaching that tipping point. Pro sports especially MLB has been going away from the cheap seat cavernous stadiums to smaller higher priced, but added value environments for a while now. (However It seems the Cowboys and Jerry World is trying to do both) NASCAR is probably going to do some adjusting. College football can't adjust quickly. You just can't just go to a government entity and extort yourself a new stadium.

A-Day is a good time to get to be around the program for a day without the high cost, but it does not match the excitement and overall experience of an SEC opponent game day. I believe that if they started charging at all the attendance would be what one would expect at a glorified practice.

1. Ticket/travel prices
    2. Economy/people out of work
    3. Almost every game is on TV today.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    That's not the question It's overall. If something is not happening in your house doesn't mean that it is not happening
    Alabama, according to some studies, was one of the hardest hit states due to the recession and its lingering effects; yet, The University of Alabama continues to have average attendance essentially at stadium capacity. So yes, the point I made does matter. Personally, I think Krazy is closer to what's impacting the decline in average attendance numbers (i.e. the watering down of the FBS with teams/fans that don't take football seriously).
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    It was not so long ago that there were plenty of empty seats in Bryant Denny on most game days.
    Game day attendance and selling tickets are two different things. IIRC, Alabama has essentially sold out its stadium every year since the inception of Tide Pride in 1988.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation All-American TIDEnGA's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    while a lot of money was spent the weeks my wife and I had in atlanta and pasadena were well worth the costs although i probably wouldn't feel the same if we had lost
    I totally agree. Hope we don't find out anytime soon about the last part. I'll admit I'm not planning on spending tons of money to get to Miami to see anything but #15.

there were other reasons that the attendance (not ticket sales)at the Alabama games were down slightly. those 7 and 8 pm kickoff times was too late for some. people not wanting to spend the big bucks to watch Bama play a Western Carolina or FAU
    "Never stand and take a charge. Charge them back!"--Nathan Bedford Forrest

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

I gotta be honest. With the costs associated with going to the game and the hassles of getting home, and the fact that most if not all of Bama's games are on TV, I can see attendance dwindling.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFan1961 View Post
    there were other reasons that the attendance (not ticket sales)at the Alabama games were down slightly. those 7 and 8 pm kickoff times was too late for some. people not wanting to spend the big bucks to watch Bama play a Western Carolina or FAU
    Good point. We also had a couple early games. We went to one of those and it was about all we could do to get there, grab a bite to eat at a tailgate with friends and get inside the stadium by 11:00 and that was just from B'ham.

We were planning to go to another game until it was announced to be 7:00 or 8:00 and decided against it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

subpar nonconference opponents & the economy
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.