Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Attendance for college football decreases again.

Another thing though: The "not so big games" allows a family to go to a game and, if you buy your tickets in the secondary market, you can go for pretty cheap. I picked up 6 tickets for $150 for a friend for one of those games this year and was able to take his whole family and extras.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Another thing though: The "not so big games" allows a family to go to a game and, if you buy your tickets in the secondary market, you can go for pretty cheap. I picked up 6 tickets for $150 for a friend for one of those games this year and was able to take his whole family and extras.
    I agree that deals are to be had on the "not so big games". I had a friend that had eight tickets that no one used because they didn't find any takers. There were lots of tickets for the Western Carolina game.
    "Never stand and take a charge. Charge them back!"--Nathan Bedford Forrest

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am definitely part of the problem here

Family and I were planning on going to one game this year, haven't been to Tuscaloosa in years though I have gone to the SEC Champ games we were in prior to this year and the Clemson/VT games in Atlanta. We targeted the A&M Game

Looked at the cost of Tickets + Hotel + travel + food and figured the weekend would set me back $1,500 - $2,000. Took the lower amount and used it as a budget to put in a 1080p projector, screen and new home theater sound system instead. Spent just over $1,500 and now watch games on a 120 inch screen and got to avoid spending all that money on watching us lose to A&M
    Actually you are not. That game was sold out. Bama has a "minor decrease" this year. I am guessing it is because we had one game, Western Kentucky, that did not sell out. Last year, every game sold out.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Yeah, clearly it's all cost of tickets...

Because adding programs like South Alabama, with their dirt cheap tickets, and their average attendance of 16,793 absolutely couldn't do anything to bring down average attendance numbers.
    The johnny come lately South Alabamas and Georgia States of the world do bring down the average attendance because of their home games. They also hurt the power team's attendance because, though the tickets are sold as part of a season ticket package, I'm not driving 200 miles one way to watch the starters destroy directional Kentucky for a quarter.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Game day attendance and selling tickets are two different things. IIRC, Alabama has essentially sold out its stadium every year since the inception of Tide Pride in 1988.
    I agree, however I know several people that have been buying more tickets than they use every year for decades to sell at a profit. They are having an increasingly difficult time doing it with the less appealing games recently, but no more of a problem than they did when we were not as competitive week in and week out. Personally it kind of upsets me that they do it, but when there is demand this is going to happen. Just because a game is 'sold out' does not mean every ticket was sold to people planning to attend.

I don't disagree with Krazy that more programs (thus more venues and competition for a game day experience) is not a large factor. I guess what I was saying was about me. My budget allows me to go to one or two games a year now instead of 3 or 4. I have never been able to get season tickets so I would buy from scalpers or those people I referenced above. I no longer have the means to go to our bowl or championship games as I did in the past. That is ALL on based on the increased cost of acquiring a ticket. In the past I would sometimes go to two SEC games on a single Saturday. I haven't done that in years. Most of that is on the increased cost of travel/staying wherever the night game was.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Not singling you out, but how do you explain A-Day attendance? Yes, it's relatively well supported but they couldn't fill it up, even after winning a NC!
    Well, there's the fact it's not a real game . . .

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The trend towards building bigger and bigger stadiums is on a collision course with how attendance is dwindling.

It would be sad to see lots of places have the problem Tennessee is now having. A huge stadium, and not enough interested fans to fill it.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    Well, there's the fact it's not a real game . . .
    But it's free!

I've heard so many excuses for people not going to games, and the ironic thing is the worst attendance was to the A-Day game and a FCS opponent which was also the cheapest ticket. It can't be both, it can't be oh pity us we can't afford free.

Fact is you can go to games on the cheap, even "real" ones since us fan's can't appreciate what the A-Day game means to players and recruits. You just can't go to big games on the cheap, and apparently that's the real problem. People want cheap tickets for good seats to big games and that just isn't how it works.

That's the problem in general. There are a lot of crappy games, some conferences exclusively serve those and of course people don't want to pay to see those. I had free tickets to a South Alabama game, and I didn't go. But, as fans of specific teams is it our role to fill those seats...
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 11th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran View Post
    It would be sad to see lots of places have the problem Tennessee is now having. A huge stadium, and not enough interested fans to fill it.
    Yes, having a "fair weather" fan base, plus a few crappy seasons, plus having built up your stadium on the sands of "fair weather" fans makes for a lethal combination.

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am definitely part of the problem here

Family and I were planning on going to one game this year, haven't been to Tuscaloosa in years though I have gone to the SEC Champ games we were in prior to this year and the Clemson/VT games in Atlanta. We targeted the A&M Game

Looked at the cost of Tickets + Hotel + travel + food and figured the weekend would set me back $1,500 - $2,000. Took the lower amount and used it as a budget to put in a 1080p projector, screen and new home theater sound system instead. Spent just over $1,500 and now watch games on a 120 inch screen and got to avoid spending all that money on watching us lose to A&M
    X2 with me. I was fortunate enough to go to the Iron Bowl this year, but living out of state (Illinois) 700 miles away from T-Town, and the cost of the tickets, parking, food, hotel.....it really is just packing a weeks worth of vacation expenses into 1 game. A BBQ Nacho, Dog, and Souvenier cup would easily pay for a couple of pizzas delivered to the house. Once a year is amazing, but like Jon...I have a 1080p projector that is at 107" as well as Directv...which is the other problem..I watch about 15-20 games from Thursday night to Saturday night..When I go to Bryant-Denny, by the time I get to the hotel there might be 1 game left on. I could buy (4) Season ticket to the Illini for (1) ticket to the Iron bowl...

-CLINT

BamaNation First Team BamaAlum97's Avatar

Attendance for college football decreases again.

I haven't been to a live Bama game in many years. I can watch them all at home in my home theater for a fraction of the cost.

It might be different if I still lived in Tuscaloosa. I typically go to 1 or 2 University of Tulsa games a year. This year I paid $50 to sit on the 50-yard line of the Tulsa/Central Florida game. I can't imagine what those same seats in BDS would have cost.
    Twitter: @BamaAlum97

The University of Alabama: Class of 1997
    Oklahoma State University: Class of 2005

There is a fine line between being a "die-hard" fan and just another critic!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If people don't want to go to the games, you can't stop them.

-Yogi Berra

FB | REC Moderator

The Pac-12 (53,586) was the only BCS conference with an increase. But that's largely due to California returning to its renovated stadium after playing last season in a smaller stadium. The Pac-12 average has declined 8 percent since setting a record in 2007.
    That alone defeats the claim that the declining attendance is due to the admission of several small school programs bogging down the overall numbers. Fact of the matter is that attendance is down everywhere, including the SEC, and that has been the case for years now. And it's not just struggling programs, either, we saw a lot of empty seats this year even at powerhouse programs that were having a lot of success (Florida comes to mind, in particular).

The Great Recession kind of kicked things in the rear from the outset, and that was met with the ill-timing of expansions of several stadiums (including our own) and increases in not only ticket prices but also overall cost of attendance. Combined, you see attendance coming down a good bit, and significantly so for lesser opponents.

Long-term, I think schools have overbuilt, and we have excess capacity in terms of stadium seating at countless venues. In time, I think a lot of schools will eventually run into the problem that Tennessee has in recent years. No program is going to consistently sell 100,000+ tickets every weekend to watch an 8-4 team hoping to make the Peach Bowl, and eventually every program runs into that on-field situation. 100,000 seat stadiums are fine for ongoing powerhouse dynasties like we have, but that is a big burden even for programs otherwise having only decent success.

Beyond that, schools are going to have to take direction from the NFL and making serious effort to greatly improve the game day experience, which is downright terrible in most places now. It's largely a parade of horribles in many places, and a lot of people ultimately invest the entire weekend, hundreds (and ultimately thousands) of dollars, and in return they get bad parking, horrendous traffic, no cell phone service, bad seats in cramped quarters, high dollar concessions, sporadic replays, and a few infrequent score updates from around the country. And that's all the case even if you have a decent game on the field to watch. No surprise, then, that a lot of people choose to stay home and watch it on their big screen TV in high-def.

Again, at some point schools are going to have to start paying real attention to the quality of game day experience.