Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Attendance for college football decreases again.

I don't see your point here. It's getting more expensive to go to games. It's getting more of a hassle to go to games (parking, for one, is a bigger issue now than it was before). These are facts. It's a down economy. There have always been bad games on the schedule. That doesn't account for a downturn in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    But it's free!

I've heard so many excuses for people not going to games, and the ironic thing is the worst attendance was to the A-Day game and a FCS opponent which was also the cheapest ticket. It can't be both, it can't be oh pity us we can't afford free.

Fact is you can go to games on the cheap, even "real" ones since us fan's can't appreciate what the A-Day game means to players and recruits. You just can't go to big games on the cheap, and apparently that's the real problem. People want cheap tickets for good seats to big games and that just isn't how it works.

That's the problem in general. There are a lot of crappy games, some conferences exclusively serve those and of course people don't want to pay to see those. I had free tickets to a South Alabama game, and I didn't go. But, as fans of specific teams is it our role to fill those seats...

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamainBoston View Post
    I don't see your point here. It's getting more expensive to go to games. It's getting more of a hassle to go to games (parking, for one, is a bigger issue now than it was before). These are facts. It's a down economy. There have always been bad games on the schedule. That doesn't account for a downturn in attendance.
    The point is there is free admission, free parking available, Alabama players on the field, the coaches and players want them there, there are festivities, did I mention free? And yet, they don't fill up the stadium. This means quite simply that in this instance it's not money. No Alabama game has empty seats because of the cost of a game, period. May be other places, but not Alabama. The only Alabama games with empty seats is because of lack of interest.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 12th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Cost of a game:
    Tickets: no cheaper than $55 from UA
    Gas: $50 for a tank
    Food: At least $50 for a family of 4
    Time: All day affair

For a family of four to a cupcake, the total cost is: roughly $300+

I'm a college student in Montgomery and would love to attend more games with my girlfriend. I've had opportunities to pay face value for tickets. I could afford that. Then, I would factor in the other costs. My paycheck would disappear after paying for two tickets, a tank of gas, and food. Plus, the travel to and from the game isn't the easiest.

If I'm going to pay a couple hundred dollars for a game, I'm not going to watch Bama destroy Directional Podunk U. I really don't enjoy the idea of paying about $100 to go see a scrimmage in the blazing hot April sun. Sorry if that makes me a poor fan. I'm just not willing to pay that much money when I can use it in more necessary ways.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Cost of a game:
    Tickets: no cheaper than $55 from UA
    There are cheaper ways, and once again there is one day a year they let you in for free.
    Food: At least $50 for a family of 4
    What are you feeding them? That's ten Little Cesar's pizzas. I'm not saying everyone should eat that, but if you're poor then may be you should. It's also funny to me that people act like they only eat when they go to Alabama games. Yeah, no one was going to eat unless they went to see Alabama play. Also, if I recall they were offering face value Western Carolina tickets with free food, and they didn't sell them all.
    Time: All day affair
    You say that like that's a bad thing.
    I really don't enjoy the idea of paying about $100 to go see a scrimmage in the blazing hot April sun.
    We rent a car and drive from Mobile. It doesn't cost us $100. As to blazing hot sun, Packers fans show up in freezing temperatures. Dedication is not always about comfort.

You're making my point. It's not can't, it's just not important enough. I don't go to everyone game, I understand the notion of priorities. But, the idea I keep getting is that people won't pay for a tank of gas to go to A-Day, or for a $50 (or less) ticket to see Western Carolina, but they will pay twice that much to see other games. It's not the money...
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 12th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There are cheaper ways, and once again there is one day a year they let you in for free.
    I went with the base price from the university. There are no guarantee that tickets will be cheaper or available online.

What are you feeding them? That's ten Little Cesar's pizzas. I'm not saying everyone should eat that, but if you're poor then may be you should. It's also funny to me that people act like they only eat when they go to Alabama games. Yeah, no one was going to eat unless they went to see Alabama play.
    That $50 includes snacks for traveling, drinks, and food while in Tuscaloosa.

You say that like that's a bad thing.
    Some folks can't afford to take all day to go to Tuscaloosa. Some have other things that need to be done.

We rent a car and drive from Mobile. It doesn't cost us $100.
    Filled up my truck the other day, it cost me $70. Would take one tank of gas for me to get to and from Tuscaloosa.

As to blazing hot sun, Packers fans show up in freezing temperatures. Dedication is not always about comfort.
    Not showing up to a glorified practice that is aired on TV makes a fan not dedicated? Seriously?

You're making my point. It's not can't, it's just not important enough. I don't go to everyone game, I understand the notion of priorities. But, the idea I keep getting is that people won't pay for a tank of gas to go to A-Day, or for a $50 (or less) ticket to see Western Carolina, but they will pay twice that much to see other games. It's not the money...
    How am I making your point? Did you ignore my last sentence or are you too blinded by your arrogance to see it? I'll repost it for you...

If I'm going to pay a couple hundred dollars for a game, I'm not going to watch Bama destroy Directional Podunk U. I really don't enjoy the idea of paying about $100 to go see a scrimmage in the blazing hot April sun. Sorry if that makes me a poor fan. I'm just not willing to pay that much money when I can use it in more necessary ways.
    As with any business, people pay to see a quality product. If I pay $300 for a day's trip to a game, I would like to see what happened in Atlanta. I don't want to see what happened on November 17.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

(In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Original Post : The price of tickets IMO is causing this. No incentive to go to game with gas prices, cost of tickets, concessions and 24/7 TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    ..economics....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    That may be true for some schools and even some fans, but it's clearly not the case with the likes of Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, and other schools whose average attendance is essentially at stadium capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    That's not the question It's overall. If something is not happening in your house doesn't mean that it is not happening
    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Alabama, according to some studies, was one of the hardest hit states due to the recession and its lingering effects; yet, The University of Alabama continues to have average attendance essentially at stadium capacity. So yes, the point I made does matter. Personally, I think Krazy is closer to what's impacting the decline in average attendance numbers (i.e. the watering down of the FBS with teams/fans that don't take football seriously).
    You are omitting the fact that some schools fans have different priorities. Still can't figure out how this has anything to do with the overall drop in attendance? Of course the best teams, or tradition rich will be least effected. Common sense.
    Last edited by CapstoneTider; December 12th, 2012 at 04:17 PM.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I'm not going to get into point by point rebuttal but I will say this. My wife and I rent a car, drive to Tuscaloosa from Mobile, provide food for ourselves and we don't pay $100. That's gas, parking, rental, every penny we spend. Heck, I'm not sure we ever spent $50 on food in a day.

Not showing up to a glorified practice that is aired on TV makes a fan not dedicated? Seriously?

As with any business, people pay to see a quality product. If I pay $300 for a day's trip to a game, I would like to see what happened in Atlanta. I don't want to see what happened on November 17.
    I guess there are different types of fans. I think being a fan is supporting the team. I don't do it for the entertainment. For instance, I consider A-Day to be very important because Nick Saban said it was a big reason he was able to get that #1 recruiting class, which as we know was a big reason they won a national championship the next season. So, as I see it A-Day contributed to the national championship, and every fan that went that year shares a tiny bit of the credit. Fans haven't supported the game as well since then and hence if it has an impact as Saban said, it's been lessened.

That's what being a fan is to me. Supporting the team, not being entertained and I guess that's the point that there is so much disagreement. I go to the cheap games, I sit in the cheap seats. To me, I want Alabama to dominate. I want it to be a blowout. I don't want them to almost lose. I don't ever want to see what happened in Atlanta, if by that you mean Alabama nearly lost. If I want entertainment I'll play a video game, I go to games to support Alabama football.

My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I'm not going to get into point by point rebuttal but I will say this. My wife and I rent a car, drive to Tuscaloosa from Mobile, provide food for ourselves and we don't pay $100. That's gas, parking, rental, every penny we spend. Heck, I'm not sure we ever spent $50 on food in a day.
    Man I need to know your secret. I drive from Fairhope and can see no way of doing it for less than 100.

Regional TV blackouts coupled with pay per view could be the future if this trend continues.
    15 and counting

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Care to start an economics and finances lesson on the NS board?

I don't want them to almost lose. I don't ever want to see what happened in Atlanta, if by that you mean Alabama nearly lost. If I want entertainment I'll play a video game, I go to games to support Alabama football.
    I'm talking about an exciting game. One we remember for a long time. Quick, tell me what you remember about that UT-Chattanooga game from 2009. Much easier to recall Cody's block or Upchurch's score than a play from the UT-Chatt game in 2009. Why? Because those games kept the fans' attention throughout.
    Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

James Carville said it best... 'It's the Economy Stupid'... and it still applies today.
    I've got to admit it helps fill stadiums when you have winning teams year in and year out.
    OR
    Was the economy that much worse in Lee Co. this year, or does S.N.A.S.S. still apply?

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Finances are a main reason I do not attend games anymore. Of course, I am on the wait list for Tide Pride, so not having tickets makes them more expensive in general to get each week if I want to buy on campus or online. Also, the fact that it costs $20-$30 to park over a mile away from the stadium is a big turnoff. Yes, I know I can park downtown or at University Mall and take a shuttle...but when you have a baby in a stroller that is more difficult.

The real reason, though, is TV. We have an 8 month old at home, so watching the game at home on our nice TV is much, much better than going to the game and figuring out what to do with our little boy. This is even more difficult seeing as how we do not live in Tuscaloosa. I honestly think that because almost every single game is on TV, on a channel that 90% of fans can get without paying extra, it keeps people from spending their time and money on making the trip to the game. The economy could be great, but with the game on TV, why would you pack up your family and make a trip when you can watch the game in the comfort of your own home? Sure, I'd always rather be at the game, but to me and my family (and probably most others), it's more practical to watch at home.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Man I need to know your secret. I drive from Fairhope and can see no way of doing it for less than 100.
    This is for A-Day. Cheapest rental cars get really good gas mileage, especially if you don't speed. You can get free parking. Also, you can get a rental car really cheap for a day if you already have good insurance coverage. We have older used cars, and since we're driving around 400 miles the gas savings account for a good size chunk or the rental cost. I usually do pick up cheap fast food a couple times and we pack some cheap snacks for the ride.

A regular game experience is usually a bit more, since we break down and get a drink (although at the A&M game I barely had a sip) and have to pay $10 for parking.
    Care to start an economics and finances lesson on the NS board?
    I'm a high school drop out. But, I did buy a house with cash earlier this year. Once you start to pay close attention to your money, you really can get a lot out of it.
    I'm talking about an exciting game. One we remember for a long time. Quick, tell me what you remember about that UT-Chattanooga game from 2009. Much easier to recall Cody's block or Upchurch's score than a play from the UT-Chatt game in 2009. Why? Because those games kept the fans' attention throughout.
    I'm not trying to pick on you by the way. I understand why most fans can't go to every game, I can't. I understand your point, but I resolved myself to avoid high demand games after I went to the Texas A&M game. I figure the team doesn't need me because the seats will be full anyway, and I honestly hate the ride back after a loss like that. It's a lot more fun to me after a blowout and I enjoy every minute of it.

I won't keep beating a dead horse and I know not everyone sees it my way. I just view my role as a fan, as trying to support the team. I guess I'm with some people here in that if it's a big, sold out game in which tickets cost a couple hundred or more, I'd be fine pacing back and forth in my living room. To me, the game day experience is about being a fan of the team. Yes, nothing beats being in the stadium for a big game and watching your team pull it out. But, that's not what I'm looking for when I go to see Alabama play.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; December 12th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.