Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    I bet a small majority of members have never seen Alabama lose a game that is considered a National Championship game. A loss to ND will be a new experience for them.....me.
    Most everyone under 50 will not remember the early 70's.

I saw the 78, 79, 92, 2009, 2011 games, all victories.
    I was at the 89 Sugar bowl. Technically we could have won the title that night

to answer the original question the 92 championship was the best performance. Not just the D.

The crap QB (according to miami fans) and "the Wimp, the Gimp and the Blimp" pushed Miami's D all over the field

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Will be??? You picking us to lose or something? I think, I hope, you meant to say would be!

I bet a small majority of members have never seen Alabama lose a game that is considered a National Championship game. A loss to ND will be a new experience for them.....me.

"We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'd have to go with the '92 game as well, with 2011 a strong second. But there are some on this board that will remember that '65 Orange Bowl, when Bear's "little boys" ran Nebraska's big old boys ragged. Can't remember if we were ranked #1, or if we were picked to beat them, but a really satisfying win!
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Same here. I'm a little nervous about the upcoming one but I've told my son WE don't lose on the big stage. A real champion may spill coffee on himself when he's on a date with a so-so girl but he brings his A-GAME when it's for all the marbles! We did that against Penn St, Miami and LSU. I think we'll bring it for ND. Btw, the win against Miami was the best performance. That Miami team was a great offensive squad but I honestly think Torretta and company were a little hungover from the partying the night before. They really thought they had it in the bag. We proved 'em wrong.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Hard to choose between 78 & 92?

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Coach Saban's confidence will be huge. Just like Texas, Michgan and the rest, Aabama has a inferiority complex towards Notre Dame. It feels differently playing them than any other team, hard to explain but it's there. I believe it originates with their representing the biggest religious sect on the globe. That's kind of an unfair advantage having fans believing their team is divine My paper (The Cullman Times) ran an article discussing the split in the fanbase here, which I though was crazy. They implied that Catholics(Me) are automatic Notre Dame fans, like I have this inner conflict between my Alma mater and my religion. Crazy article.

Coach Bryants goose egg against them and their leap frog costing us a championship compounded things a lot and is the root of the hatred for them(yes hatred). The hit on Steve Beuerlein represented more than just a good sack for many, it was how they feel about them.

When we beat Notre Dame, it will go down as the best National Championship performance imo, hands down. It will be epic and the crowning moment of the Alabama Dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Same here. I'm a little nervous about the upcoming one but I've told my son WE don't lose on the big stage. A real champion may spill coffee on himself when he's on a date with a so-so girl but he brings his A-GAME when it's for all the marbles! We did that against Penn St, Miami and LSU. I think we'll bring it for ND. Btw, the win against Miami was the best performance. That Miami team was a great offensive squad but I honestly think Torretta and company were a little hungover from the partying the night before. They really thought they had it in the bag. We proved 'em wrong.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Got to be 2011 for me. Not crossing the 50 until the 4th is just incredible, such a dominating performance.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I was only 6 in 1992 so I don't remember that NC. I will have to go with 2011 against LSU. That was a dominating performance, and I felt so good after that NC. More so than the 2009 NC.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

To worship You, I live
    To worship You, I live
    I live to worship You. -
    Israel Houghton

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I was at the 89 Sugar bowl. Technically we could have won the title that night

to answer the original question the 92 championship was the best performance. Not just the D.

The crap QB (according to miami fans) and "the Wimp, the Gimp and the Blimp" pushed Miami's D all over the field
    This is true. I had no confidence that we would win.......or maybe that Coach Curry would win.

Do you remember when ESPN claimed that "Miami was playing a good high school team" ? I always believed that was before the 89 game, but several posters corrected me saying it was the 92 game. If you or anyone else is 100% sure, let me know.

This is true. I had no confidence that we would win.......or maybe that Coach Curry would win.

Do you remember when ESPN claimed that "Miami was playing a good high school team" ? I always believed that was before the 89 game, but several posters corrected me saying it was the 92 game. If you or anyone else is 100% sure, let me know.
    Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior

My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

For me it was 1992, although 2011 is close 2nd.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

This thread is a little like that ESPN video going around "What Bama fans talk about". Not many fan bases get to sit around and try to decide which national championship win was the best. It IS great to be a Bama fan!

By the way...I have to go with 21-0. But a win over ND would vault to the top of my list.
    Bama 873-315-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior
    If you remember the semi pro part, then I am confident that you have the date correct as well. Hard to believe they would make such an unread comment considering the known talent we had on defense, plus Palmer, the RB's and OL. I guess that is the reason my mind flipped it to 89.