What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bama won the National Title by:

Beating Nebraska 39-28 in the 65 Orange Bowl
Beating Penn State 14-7 in the 78 Sugar Bowl
Beating Arkansas 24-9 in the 79 Sugar Bowl
Beating Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl
Beating Texas 37-21 in the 2009 Rose Bowl
Beating LSU 21-0 last year.

All were great victories but which one(if you had to pick) was our most impressive performance?

I narrowed it to last years defensive gem and the 92 game.

After much thought I'd have to go with the win over Miami. That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen against a truly great offensive powerhouse that we completely shut down.

....and yourself???

Roll Tide!

sip
I personally witnessed everyone of them except the 65 Orange Bowl.

I've gotta go with the '09 beat down of Florida in the SECCG. I know, it's not on the list, but that was the NC game that year. Texas coming a few weeks later was just a bump on the road.

Seriously, I want to give a shout out to that game in '09 against Texas. First NC in almost 20 years and it signaled the beginning of the CNS Dynasty at Alabama. Remember what he said? "This is not the end; this is the beginning."

If we would not have slacked up in the second half and allowed them to get back in it, we would probably view it a lot more like '92 or '11.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
One interesting side note about the 65 game against Nebraska. Coach Bryant pulled a Coach Saban on this one. We were ranked fourth going into the New Years Day Bowl games and every team in front of us lost....lol
That gave us a chance and we took advantage...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I love all of them but 92 and 09 were great just due to the fact that it had been so long of a wait to get back to that point. My what great times we are living in now. RTR

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior
Yaeh, I was at that game also, and there wasnt a whole lot of belief we'd win it. And we didn't.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Don't remember 65, but of those I recall, I'm going to go with '92 for the reasons already stated. Last year was a very close second. It is easy to forget that everyone in the country besides was busy talking about whether LSU was the best team in the last 100 years of college football or something they way they had made it through the regular season. I thought we could beat them, though not throttled them the way our defense did.

But '92 was just the whole thing, underdogs, undermanned, counted out by everyone and we just dominated them on both sides of the ball all night, and out coached them at a level I wouldn't have thought possible. Incredible team effort.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Hey Tidefans, do you prefer cake or ice cream? Which of your children is your best one? :wink:

I'm old enough to remember the heartbreak Bama has endured from Notre Dang. I think we will wipe the floor with them, but even if we win a squeaker by one point...that will be Bama's most satisfying National Championship.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I remember it very well. We started out as a 2 point under dog but by game time we were a 1.5 point favorite. We were badly outweighed by something like 38 pounds per man on the lines but we still whipped em pretty darn good. It was indeed a very good performance.
was that the game that Nameth got benched for partying?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Chuck, check the records on this one. A whole bunch of teams had to lose before we played. I believe we had a loss and a tie that year and were ranked fourth or fifth going into the bowl game. Everybody on top of us had to lose, and, bless their little hearts, they did. Then Steve Sloan threw on virtually every down in the first half.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I have to point out that BAMA football is truly blessed, becuase there are so many choices :smile:. We could be like the Barn. Well, there was 57, when we were cheaters, or there was 2010, when Ca$h Newton won it for us. They only have 2 to choose from, and there is controvercy with both of them.
Having said that, I loved the 79 Championship. We had Bear Bryant, and Jo Pa. Two of the classiest coaches ever. Forget about the Penn State scandal. Joe Paterno was a great coach, and a class act. That had to have been the best as far as classy. But, then again 92 was class / thug, and class won.
Nick Saban is a great coach, but his championships are starting to run together :smile:. And he keeps piling on more :biggrin:

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
1992, without a doubt! I was living in Florida at the time, and the Canes fans were even more obnoxious than their players. I watched in joy and amazement as the heisman trophy winner counted the ceiling tiles in the SuperDome!

o/t, does anyone else remember the hit that Eric Curry and John Copeland put on Heath Shuler in Knoxville in 92? I'd love to see a .gif it that!

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
78 Sugar Bowl against Penn State was almost like a chess match with two great coaches making moves.... I like to play chess, so I choose that one..... I dare to say that two legendary coaches like Coach Bryant and Paterno will never meet again on the same stage.... The others that you mentioned were pretty much one sided games from a stratigical standpoint......

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was lucky enough to be at the Penn State game, Texas game, and unlucky enough to be at the Notre Dame game in '73.

I'm saying toss-up for performance between 92 and last year. How could the defense have played better last year? LSU was being touted as the best team of all time.

The Pasadena championship against Texas was the most satisfying win I've seen. It feels so good to be Bama again.

The best game was the Penn State Sugar Bowl. THE goal line stand.

The worst loss was the Notre Dame Sugar Bowl. Or punt Bama punt. Or Scam Newton.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hard to pick.

Most dominating performance that I watched: 2011. The fact that LSU didn't even cross the 50 until mid-4th quarter is amazing.

Most satisfying season: 2009. Some good games and it's always nice to go undefeated.

Most fun to watch: 1992. The slaying of the Hurricanes was highly entertaining, given their disrespect entering the game.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
78 Sugar Bowl against Penn State was almost like a chess match with two great coaches making moves.... I like to play chess, so I choose that one..... I dare to say that two legendary coaches like Coach Bryant and Paterno will never meet again on the same stage.... The others that you mentioned were pretty much one sided games from a stratigical standpoint......
I have to agree with this one. Both teams were very physical and at the top of their game. How could you not love the play by Don McNeal before the goal line stand to preserve a national title. That is what legends are made of. I am just glad we at Alabama can discuss which one is better.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
That's actually not true. The AP was awarded after the bowls that season, because of the result of the prior year. Alabama went 10-0 in 1964 and won the AP national title before losing to Texas in the Orange Bowl 21-17 (Namath's "failed" qb sneak at the end). Because of that, the AP decided to wait until the bowl games were played in 1965. Well, Alabama finished the regular season 8-1-1 and ranked 4th. I may have the teams mixed up, but they needed UCLA to lose the Rose Bowl, Texas to lose the Cotton, and then they needed to beat Nebraska in the Orange to vault to #1 and win an improbable NC. Of course, the dominoes all fell that way and Alabama won it. And then we got shafted in 1966.
Going into the Bowls, Michigan State was ranked #1, Arkansas #2, Nebraska #3, and Bama #4. Michigan State lost to UCLA in the Rose and LSU beat Arkansas in the Cotton.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?seasonid=1965

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.