Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

Quote Originally Posted by TidefaninOS View Post
    I'd have to go with the '92 game as well, with 2011 a strong second. But there are some on this board that will remember that '65 Orange Bowl, when Bear's "little boys" ran Nebraska's big old boys ragged. Can't remember if we were ranked #1, or if we were picked to beat them, but a really satisfying win!
    I remember it very well. We started out as a 2 point under dog but by game time we were a 1.5 point favorite. We were badly outweighed by something like 38 pounds per man on the lines but we still whipped em pretty darn good. It was indeed a very good performance.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Bama won the National Title by:

Beating Nebraska 39-28 in the 65 Orange Bowl
    Beating Penn State 14-7 in the 78 Sugar Bowl
    Beating Arkansas 24-9 in the 79 Sugar Bowl
    Beating Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl
    Beating Texas 37-21 in the 2009 Rose Bowl
    Beating LSU 21-0 last year.

All were great victories but which one(if you had to pick) was our most impressive performance?

I narrowed it to last years defensive gem and the 92 game.

After much thought I'd have to go with the win over Miami. That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen against a truly great offensive powerhouse that we completely shut down.

....and yourself???

Roll Tide!

sip
    I personally witnessed everyone of them except the 65 Orange Bowl.

I've gotta go with the '09 beat down of Florida in the SECCG. I know, it's not on the list, but that was the NC game that year. Texas coming a few weeks later was just a bump on the road.

Seriously, I want to give a shout out to that game in '09 against Texas. First NC in almost 20 years and it signaled the beginning of the CNS Dynasty at Alabama. Remember what he said? "This is not the end; this is the beginning."

If we would not have slacked up in the second half and allowed them to get back in it, we would probably view it a lot more like '92 or '11.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One interesting side note about the 65 game against Nebraska. Coach Bryant pulled a Coach Saban on this one. We were ranked fourth going into the New Years Day Bowl games and every team in front of us lost....lol
    That gave us a chance and we took advantage...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    that article was from after the game
    Sorry, that article was. But his statements were published before the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Apprehensive on TideFans.com

I love all of them but 92 and 09 were great just due to the fact that it had been so long of a wait to get back to that point. My what great times we are living in now. RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior
    Yaeh, I was at that game also, and there wasnt a whole lot of belief we'd win it. And we didn't.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't remember 65, but of those I recall, I'm going to go with '92 for the reasons already stated. Last year was a very close second. It is easy to forget that everyone in the country besides was busy talking about whether LSU was the best team in the last 100 years of college football or something they way they had made it through the regular season. I thought we could beat them, though not throttled them the way our defense did.

But '92 was just the whole thing, underdogs, undermanned, counted out by everyone and we just dominated them on both sides of the ball all night, and out coached them at a level I wouldn't have thought possible. Incredible team effort.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Hey Tidefans, do you prefer cake or ice cream? Which of your children is your best one?

I'm old enough to remember the heartbreak Bama has endured from Notre Dang. I think we will wipe the floor with them, but even if we win a squeaker by one point...that will be Bama's most satisfying National Championship.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I remember it very well. We started out as a 2 point under dog but by game time we were a 1.5 point favorite. We were badly outweighed by something like 38 pounds per man on the lines but we still whipped em pretty darn good. It was indeed a very good performance.
    was that the game that Nameth got benched for partying?
    Woo! Hoo!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Chuck, check the records on this one. A whole bunch of teams had to lose before we played. I believe we had a loss and a tie that year and were ranked fourth or fifth going into the bowl game. Everybody on top of us had to lose, and, bless their little hearts, they did. Then Steve Sloan threw on virtually every down in the first half.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to point out that BAMA football is truly blessed, becuase there are so many choices . We could be like the Barn. Well, there was 57, when we were cheaters, or there was 2010, when Ca$h Newton won it for us. They only have 2 to choose from, and there is controvercy with both of them.
    Having said that, I loved the 79 Championship. We had Bear Bryant, and Jo Pa. Two of the classiest coaches ever. Forget about the Penn State scandal. Joe Paterno was a great coach, and a class act. That had to have been the best as far as classy. But, then again 92 was class / thug, and class won.
    Nick Saban is a great coach, but his championships are starting to run together . And he keeps piling on more

Post Thanks / Like

1992, without a doubt! I was living in Florida at the time, and the Canes fans were even more obnoxious than their players. I watched in joy and amazement as the heisman trophy winner counted the ceiling tiles in the SuperDome!

o/t, does anyone else remember the hit that Eric Curry and John Copeland put on Heath Shuler in Knoxville in 92? I'd love to see a .gif it that!

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    was that the game that Nameth got benched for partying?
    I believe that was the 1963 Sugar Bowl. Or maybe 1962. Ole Miss was the opponent (Alabama didn't face them in the regular season). Steve Sloan stepped up and led Alabama to the win.