What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
was that the game that Nameth got benched for partying?
Namath's last year was 1964. He was benched after the 1963 season for the 1964 Sugar Bowl game against Ole Miss. His last game was the 1965 Orange Bowl game against Texas. The Nebraska game was the 1966 Orange Bowl.

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I'm a 15 year old newbie, grandma always talked about the '92 game (a big Bama fan). But for me it was the 2011 game, never seen a defense just dominate like that, that game made me love defense more then I did! Hearing about the background story of the '92 game, it was awesome too.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
1992 beat down of Miami with out a doubt. I can still hear, "they don't deserve to play us, they ain't played anyone ". I bought a tag right after the game, "We still ain't played anyone".
Best defense to ever play a game of college football. I think that might be the first time I ever heard the phrase, "Defense wins championships".

Last edited:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I remember them all, and attended many. For my money, it's the '92 NC. To hold that Miami team to a single offensive score was just unbelievable.

We sat in the corner of the end zone under the overhang of the mezzanine, and the noise was so loud that I had to shout into my wife's ear just to be heard.

Best sign was on the back of a car coming home the next day: "31-13, and we STILL haven't played anybody!"

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
Even though I wasn't even born for the 92 championship, I think most people are right when they say that was Bama's best performance.
2011 was complete domination, though, so it's either one for me, really.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
'92 performance was so good it was the easiest win of all of those. Game was over when Torretta called his final time out with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. He went to the bench and asked for toilet paper AND glasses because he didn't know which one he needed first.
Too funny and very true!...I agree the '92 team was probably the greatest...followed by the 2011 victory, then probably the '79 beat-down of Arkansas.

Illusions

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 4, 2009
Summerville, SC
I would say '92 has had the best impact and 2011 was flat out fun to watch. Has anyone else noticed that Miami's team has not been the same since the '92 embarrassment?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I have to agree with this one. Both teams were very physical and at the top of their game. How could you not love the play by Don McNeal before the goal line stand to preserve a national title. That is what legends are made of. I am just glad we at Alabama can discuss which one is better.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I would have to say the 92 game (I was only alive to see 92, 09, and 11). The whole media in those days said we had absolutely NO CHANCE and shouldn't even show up for the game. It was a slam dunk easy ride for Miami and they walked around like it was over from the time they knew they were playing in the Sugar Bowl until they had to back that talk up. I have never enjoyed a game so much in my life. Gino went from a pompus jerk that thought he was too good to face Bama's Defense to "please don't send me out there".

First time I seen a #1 pick (that was a lock at #1 at that) go from #1 to bust in one night.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
2011 against LSU. I was only 3 in 1992. It is simply amazing that our defense only allowed them to cross the 50 yard line once while holding their offense to 92 yards and that we shut them out. Not even 1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami accomplished this feat.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
The 2011 Championship was dominating. The 1992 Championship was overwhelming due to the pre-game Miami hype. For me personally, the 1978 Championship was the best. My seat was lower level, row 8 or 9, right on the goal line. It was a terrible seat for watching action at the other end of the field, but it was one of the best seats in the house for the goal line stand.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
2011 against LSU. I was only 3 in 1992. It is simply amazing that our defense only allowed them to cross the 50 yard line once while holding their offense to 92 yards and that we shut them out. Not even 1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami accomplished this feat.
Hey! Gotta give LSU credit they passed the 50 yard line twice...once going each way!:smile:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Hard to pick.

Most dominating performance that I watched: 2011. The fact that LSU didn't even cross the 50 until mid-4th quarter is amazing.

Most satisfying season: 2009. Some good games and it's always nice to go undefeated.

Most fun to watch: 1992. The slaying of the Hurricanes was highly entertaining, given their disrespect entering the game.
This is how I feel about the respective Championship Games.

The defense in the 1993 Sugar Bowl made some of the biggest plays in Alabama Football history...but we let Miami score 13 points.

The defense in the 2012 BCSCG only let LSU cross the 50 yard line one time...and immediately after that we caused a fumble and recovered it. People forget that LSU, in 2011, averaged over 40 points per game in the 12 games they did not play Alabama. Other than the 2 games they played Alabama...they wiped the floor with each team they played. It may be hard to remember...but the 1992 Miami Hurricanes barely beat Arizona (8-7), FSU (19-16), PSU (17-14), and Syracuse (16-10). So, while they were a great team, they did not pound the teams they played the way the 2011 LSU Tigers did.

Like others have said...we took an LSU team that was already being labeled as the greatest football team in modern football history...and we made the entire nation laugh at them...and then forget about them the next day.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
How many 'Bama fans remember "the rest of the story" in the '78 PSU game?

With about 6 minutes left in the game after the Goal Line Stand, we took over at our 1 and ended up having to punt. PSU was going to have great field position (our 20) with plenty of time on the clock, but Woody Umphrey's shanked punt was nullified when the Nittany Lions were caught with 12 players on the field.

Although we eventually had to punt again, we intercepted Fusina with 0:12 left to seal the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.