Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

I remember them all, and attended many. For my money, it's the '92 NC. To hold that Miami team to a single offensive score was just unbelievable.

We sat in the corner of the end zone under the overhang of the mezzanine, and the noise was so loud that I had to shout into my wife's ear just to be heard.

Best sign was on the back of a car coming home the next day: "31-13, and we STILL haven't played anybody!"
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team CaptainTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Even though I wasn't even born for the 92 championship, I think most people are right when they say that was Bama's best performance.
    2011 was complete domination, though, so it's either one for me, really.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If 1925/26 were considered part of the modern era, the 1926 Rose Bowl would unquestionably be the greatest.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    If 1925/26 were considered part of the modern era, the 1926 Rose Bowl would unquestionably be the greatest.
    I didn't make that one

BamaNation First Team wishbonedays's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    '92 performance was so good it was the easiest win of all of those. Game was over when Torretta called his final time out with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. He went to the bench and asked for toilet paper AND glasses because he didn't know which one he needed first.
    Too funny and very true!...I agree the '92 team was probably the greatest...followed by the 2011 victory, then probably the '79 beat-down of Arkansas.
    22 30
    "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't ask you to try."
    Coach Paul Bryant, telling his players of the switch to the wishbone, Fall camp 1971.

BamaNation Second Team

I would say '92 has had the best impact and 2011 was flat out fun to watch. Has anyone else noticed that Miami's team has not been the same since the '92 embarrassment?

My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    I have to agree with this one. Both teams were very physical and at the top of their game. How could you not love the play by Don McNeal before the goal line stand to preserve a national title. That is what legends are made of. I am just glad we at Alabama can discuss which one is better.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I would have to say the 92 game (I was only alive to see 92, 09, and 11). The whole media in those days said we had absolutely NO CHANCE and shouldn't even show up for the game. It was a slam dunk easy ride for Miami and they walked around like it was over from the time they knew they were playing in the Sugar Bowl until they had to back that talk up. I have never enjoyed a game so much in my life. Gino went from a pompus jerk that thought he was too good to face Bama's Defense to "please don't send me out there".

First time I seen a #1 pick (that was a lock at #1 at that) go from #1 to bust in one night.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

2011 against LSU. I was only 3 in 1992. It is simply amazing that our defense only allowed them to cross the 50 yard line once while holding their offense to 92 yards and that we shut them out. Not even 1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami accomplished this feat.

The 2011 Championship was dominating. The 1992 Championship was overwhelming due to the pre-game Miami hype. For me personally, the 1978 Championship was the best. My seat was lower level, row 8 or 9, right on the goal line. It was a terrible seat for watching action at the other end of the field, but it was one of the best seats in the house for the goal line stand.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    2011 against LSU. I was only 3 in 1992. It is simply amazing that our defense only allowed them to cross the 50 yard line once while holding their offense to 92 yards and that we shut them out. Not even 1995 Nebraska or 2001 Miami accomplished this feat.
    Hey! Gotta give LSU credit they passed the 50 yard line twice...once going each way!
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I would say '92 has had the best impact and 2011 was flat out fun to watch. Has anyone else noticed that Miami's team has not been the same since the '92 embarrassment?
    A lot of teams have been that way. Look at Texas. But Miami was good in the early 2000s.
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post
    Hard to pick.

Most dominating performance that I watched: 2011. The fact that LSU didn't even cross the 50 until mid-4th quarter is amazing.

Most satisfying season: 2009. Some good games and it's always nice to go undefeated.

Most fun to watch: 1992. The slaying of the Hurricanes was highly entertaining, given their disrespect entering the game.
    This is how I feel about the respective Championship Games.

The defense in the 1993 Sugar Bowl made some of the biggest plays in Alabama Football history...but we let Miami score 13 points.

The defense in the 2012 BCSCG only let LSU cross the 50 yard line one time...and immediately after that we caused a fumble and recovered it. People forget that LSU, in 2011, averaged over 40 points per game in the 12 games they did not play Alabama. Other than the 2 games they played Alabama...they wiped the floor with each team they played. It may be hard to remember...but the 1992 Miami Hurricanes barely beat Arizona (8-7), FSU (19-16), PSU (17-14), and Syracuse (16-10). So, while they were a great team, they did not pound the teams they played the way the 2011 LSU Tigers did.

Like others have said...we took an LSU team that was already being labeled as the greatest football team in modern football history...and we made the entire nation laugh at them...and then forget about them the next day.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.