What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I was only 6 in 1992 so I don't remember that NC. I will have to go with 2011 against LSU. That was a dominating performance, and I felt so good after that NC. More so than the 2009 NC.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I was at the 89 Sugar bowl. Technically we could have won the title that night

to answer the original question the 92 championship was the best performance. Not just the D.

The crap QB (according to miami fans) and "the Wimp, the Gimp and the Blimp" pushed Miami's D all over the field
This is true. I had no confidence that we would win.......or maybe that Coach Curry would win.

Do you remember when ESPN claimed that "Miami was playing a good high school team" ? I always believed that was before the 89 game, but several posters corrected me saying it was the 92 game. If you or anyone else is 100% sure, let me know.:conf3::BigA:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This is true. I had no confidence that we would win.......or maybe that Coach Curry would win.

Do you remember when ESPN claimed that "Miami was playing a good high school team" ? I always believed that was before the 89 game, but several posters corrected me saying it was the 92 game. If you or anyone else is 100% sure, let me know.:conf3::BigA:
Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This thread is a little like that ESPN video going around "What Bama fans talk about".:) Not many fan bases get to sit around and try to decide which national championship win was the best. It IS great to be a Bama fan!

By the way...I have to go with 21-0. But a win over ND would vault to the top of my list.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wasn't the quote semi pro team versus a good high school team? It was the 1992 game, i'm 99% sure. Main reason is that I was out of the country for the 3 weeks prior to the 89 Game and heard none of the lead in for it.

I had no confidence in the 89 game either, no one really did after the inexcusable loss to the barn a few weeks prior
If you remember the semi pro part, then I am confident that you have the date correct as well. Hard to believe they would make such an unread comment considering the known talent we had on defense, plus Palmer, the RB's and OL. I guess that is the reason my mind flipped it to 89.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If you remember the semi pro part, then I am confident that you have the date correct as well. Hard to believe they would make such an unread comment considering the known talent we had on defense, plus Palmer, the RB's and OL. I guess that is the reason my mind flipped it to 89.
as my wife would tell you, never base anything off of my memory :)

others will surely recall it better

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Def '92 for me. Nobody gave us a chance against the canes. Never seen a more arrogant and obnoxious team than that bunch. To go out and just crush them was as sweet as it gets. Last year was close, especially not letting them cross the 50. But we went in with high expectations to win that one.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Lee Corso made that statement before the 1990 Alabama vs. Tennessee game. They were massive favorites and we had had all those injuries. Phillip Doyle kicked us to a win that day (along with a very strong defensive performance against their all-star offense). But I do remember it being said by some leading up to the '92 National Championship against Miami.

For me, the greatest NC performance has to be last year's. I understand the unique circumstances surrounding the game (revenge, rematch), but to completely shut down what had been mentioned as one of the greatest teams ever was sweet indeed. We didn't just beat them... we beat them down with brute strength.

The Miami win was certainly the best other than that one.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
'92 without question

actually didn't play well at all in Pasadena...

last year played the defensive performance of a lifetime but offense struggled when they hit LSU territory.

would love if we can play a complete 60 minutes on jan 7

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Actually, Bama had already won the National Title when they played in this game. It was before the AP and UPI started awarding national championships after the bowl game.
That's actually not true. The AP was awarded after the bowls that season, because of the result of the prior year. Alabama went 10-0 in 1964 and won the AP national title before losing to Texas in the Orange Bowl 21-17 (Namath's "failed" qb sneak at the end). Because of that, the AP decided to wait until the bowl games were played in 1965. Well, Alabama finished the regular season 8-1-1 and ranked 4th. I may have the teams mixed up, but they needed UCLA to lose the Rose Bowl, Texas to lose the Cotton, and then they needed to beat Nebraska in the Orange to vault to #1 and win an improbable NC. Of course, the dominoes all fell that way and Alabama won it. And then we got shafted in 1966.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
That's actually not true. The AP was awarded after the bowls that season, because of the result of the prior year. Alabama went 10-0 in 1964 and won the AP national title before losing to Texas in the Orange Bowl 21-17 (Namath's "failed" qb sneak at the end). Because of that, the AP decided to wait until the bowl games were played in 1965. Well, Alabama finished the regular season 8-1-1 and ranked 4th. I may have the teams mixed up, but they needed UCLA to lose the Rose Bowl, Texas to lose the Cotton, and then they needed to beat Nebraska in the Orange to vault to #1 and win an improbable NC. Of course, the dominoes all fell that way and Alabama won it. And then we got shafted in 1966.
I stand corrected.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would rank last year's win just ahead of 1992. Last year's LSU team probably ends up ranked as the best college football team in the modern era with another win over Alabama. Instead they were beaten so badly that they are mocked. Look at the teams that they beat leading up to the BCSCG. Simply incredible schedule.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
The 1992 championship was sugar sweet, not to mention hilarious, for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, my vote would be the 1978 national championship (the Jan 1, 1979 "Goal Line Stand" game against Penn State).
That is my favorite game of all time and I think it is one of the best football games ever played.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd have to go with the '92 game as well, with 2011 a strong second. But there are some on this board that will remember that '65 Orange Bowl, when Bear's "little boys" ran Nebraska's big old boys ragged. Can't remember if we were ranked #1, or if we were picked to beat them, but a really satisfying win!
I remember it very well. We started out as a 2 point under dog but by game time we were a 1.5 point favorite. We were badly outweighed by something like 38 pounds per man on the lines but we still whipped em pretty darn good. It was indeed a very good performance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.