What Is Bama's Greatest National Championship Performance? (Modern era)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bama won the National Title by:

Beating Nebraska 39-28 in the 65 Orange Bowl
Beating Penn State 14-7 in the 78 Sugar Bowl
Beating Arkansas 24-9 in the 79 Sugar Bowl
Beating Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl
Beating Texas 37-21 in the 2009 Rose Bowl
Beating LSU 21-0 last year.

All were great victories but which one(if you had to pick) was our most impressive performance?

I narrowed it to last years defensive gem and the 92 game.

After much thought I'd have to go with the win over Miami. That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen against a truly great offensive powerhouse that we completely shut down.

....and yourself???

Roll Tide!

sip

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Bama won the National Title by:

Beating Nebraska 39-28 in the 65 Orange Bowl
Beating Penn State 14-7 in the 78 Sugar Bowl
Beating Arkansas 24-9 in the 79 Sugar Bowl
Beating Miami 34-13 in the Sugar Bowl
Beating Texas 37-21 in the 2009 Rose Bowl
Beating LSU 21-0 last year.

All were great victories but which one(if you had to pick) was our most impressive performance?

I narrowed it to last years defensive gem and the 92 game.

After much thought I'd have to go with the win over Miami. That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen against a truly great offensive powerhouse that we completely shut down.

....and yourself???

Roll Tide!

sip

Probably 1992 with 2011 coming in a close second.

I don't think 2011 happens that way if we beat them the first time around. The Championship game was about revenge, pure and simple. Beat them in a way that leaves no questions about who the best team is. That first loss ate at us for months until we were finally able to hold up that Crystal Football.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
'92. Hands down. They thought they were invincible.

Seeing the self proclaimed "fastest man in football" chased down and stripped of the ball along with the Heisman winner sitting on the turf with his head down in complete humiliation will always be among my fondest Bama memories ever.

RTR!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Probably 1992 with 2011 coming in a close second.

I don't think 2011 happens that way if we beat them the first time around. The Championship game was about revenge, pure and simple. Beat them in a way that leaves no questions about who the best team is. That first loss ate at us for months until we were finally able to hold up that Crystal Football.
I don't think many would argue that those are not the two best defensive performances since national title games have been played.
We didn't do too badly defensively against Penn State either! :)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
'92 performance was so good it was the easiest win of all of those. Game was over when Torretta called his final time out with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. He went to the bench and asked for toilet paper AND glasses because he didn't know which one he needed first.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
'92. Hands down. They thought they were invincible.

Seeing the self proclaimed "fastest man in football" chased down and stripped of the ball along with the Heisman winner sitting on the turf with his head down in complete humiliation will always be among my fondest Bama memories ever.

RTR!!!
I'm sensing a trend here lol

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Maybe the freshness is creating Bias, but 2011 is it for me. I've never seen a defense so completely dominate a worthy opponent - especially on the biggest stage - as I did this past January.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I bet a small majority of members have never seen Alabama lose a game that is considered a National Championship game. A loss to ND will be a new experience for them.....me.
Most everyone under 50 will not remember the early 70's.

I saw the 78, 79, 92, 2009, 2011 games, all victories.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I bet a small majority of members have never seen Alabama lose a game that is considered a National Championship game. A loss to ND will be a new experience for them.....me.

I was at the 89 Sugar bowl. Technically we could have won the title that night

to answer the original question the 92 championship was the best performance. Not just the D.

The crap QB (according to miami fans) and "the Wimp, the Gimp and the Blimp" pushed Miami's D all over the field

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Will be??? You picking us to lose or something? I think, I hope, you meant to say would be!

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I'd have to go with the '92 game as well, with 2011 a strong second. But there are some on this board that will remember that '65 Orange Bowl, when Bear's "little boys" ran Nebraska's big old boys ragged. Can't remember if we were ranked #1, or if we were picked to beat them, but a really satisfying win!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Same here. I'm a little nervous about the upcoming one but I've told my son WE don't lose on the big stage. A real champion may spill coffee on himself when he's on a date with a so-so girl but he brings his A-GAME when it's for all the marbles! We did that against Penn St, Miami and LSU. I think we'll bring it for ND. Btw, the win against Miami was the best performance. That Miami team was a great offensive squad but I honestly think Torretta and company were a little hungover from the partying the night before. They really thought they had it in the bag. We proved 'em wrong.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Saban's confidence will be huge. Just like Texas, Michgan and the rest, Aabama has a inferiority complex towards Notre Dame. It feels differently playing them than any other team, hard to explain but it's there. I believe it originates with their representing the biggest religious sect on the globe. That's kind of an unfair advantage having fans believing their team is divine:) My paper (The Cullman Times) ran an article discussing the split in the fanbase here, which I though was crazy. They implied that Catholics(Me) are automatic Notre Dame fans, like I have this inner conflict between my Alma mater and my religion. Crazy article.

Coach Bryants goose egg against them and their leap frog costing us a championship compounded things a lot and is the root of the hatred for them(yes hatred). The hit on Steve Beuerlein represented more than just a good sack for many, it was how they feel about them.

When we beat Notre Dame, it will go down as the best National Championship performance imo, hands down. It will be epic and the crowning moment of the Alabama Dynasty.

Same here. I'm a little nervous about the upcoming one but I've told my son WE don't lose on the big stage. A real champion may spill coffee on himself when he's on a date with a so-so girl but he brings his A-GAME when it's for all the marbles! We did that against Penn St, Miami and LSU. I think we'll bring it for ND. Btw, the win against Miami was the best performance. That Miami team was a great offensive squad but I honestly think Torretta and company were a little hungover from the partying the night before. They really thought they had it in the bag. We proved 'em wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.