Anyone else watching the 2000 Orange Bowl on ESPN Classic?

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
This is the first time I've watched it since the game was played almost 13 years ago. I guess it is cathartic for me perhaps because that was a painful loss so I'm finally forcing myself to watch it again. No Chris Samuels, secondary gets torched all night by David Terrell and we miss a extra point in OT to lose. But hey at least it the loss was to Tom Brady, who would have known we were watching an all time NFL great at QB that night.

Shaun Alexander had a heck of a game too and watching him break off a 50 yd TD in the 3rd quarter brought back memories. I really think we win that game if Chris Samuels plays, because I don't think I've ever seen so many holding penalties on us in one game in my life. Wasn't much light at the end of the tunnel after this game for a long time. Reminds me the way things were and how glad I am that CNS showed up 7 years later.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
This game and the UCLA game to start 2000 is really when we entered the Abyss.
I remember when Freddie Milons took a punt back for a TD against UCLA early on in that game. I remember thinking "this is going to be a great season!" Man I couldn't have been more wrong.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Those led up to the rotten years, but all of that is behind us.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Sat through the 9 - 0 loss in the IB. It was wet and miserable experience, hopefully those days are long gone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I lost money on that game. :rolleyes: Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bama ranked pre-season #3 (2000) and only won 3 games for the year?
Yeah, I remember we had high expectations going into that season. Pre-season #3, on magazine covers etc and then lay an egg...the entire season. Started off a tough stretch for Alabama that is for sure but thankfully we made it through that to get where we are now.

It's funny as I was watching the game Brad Nessler commented how Mike DuBose said he'd love to go ahead and accept another invitation for the Orange Bowl the next season since the BCSNCG was being played there. Not so much Mike!

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
This game and the UCLA game to start 2000 is really when we entered the Abyss.
Just imagine where we might be today had we won that game and the UCLA game the following year. It's possible we:
-have some better seasons...not great...but not 3-8
-don't make all the coaching changes we made in that era
-and thus don't end up where we did at the end of 2006

Scary thought isn't it.

Just imagine where we might be today had we won that game and the UCLA game the following year. It's possible we:
-have some better seasons...not great...but not 3-8
-don't make all the coaching changes we made in that era
-and thus don't end up where we did at the end of 2006

Scary thought isn't it.
No... even if we had won both, the 2000 season was going to be a disaster based on all the off the field issues.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Good news, sometime next week on ESPN Classic , not sure of the date, they are going to show the 97 Outback Bowl vs Michigan, I was flashing through the lineup last night to set the dvr for Bama games on Espn classic.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
That was one of the things that started my divorce, so that was the best thing that had happened to me.... My ex was from Michigan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.