Athlon way to early 2013 Top 25

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This is really to early. they are counting on AJ returning. It would be nice if he did, It would also be great to be ranked #1 at least one week for six straight years .

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/very-early-college-football-top-25-2013

1. Alabama
Even if the Crimson Tide loses to Notre Dame in the BCS Championship, Nick Saban’s team should be in the mix for the No. 1 spot once again next season. Quarterback AJ McCarron should build on his junior season (2,669 yards and 26 touchdowns) and there’s no shortage of playmakers around him with T.J. Yeldon returning at running back and Amari Cooper at receiver. The offensive line will be a huge concern, especially as center Barrett Jones and guard Chance Warmack finish their eligibility, and tackle D.J. Fluker will likely enter the NFL Draft. While the offensive line could be a work in progress early in the year, the defense will once again be one of the best in the nation. Alabama continues to stockpile talent on the recruiting trail, so help on both sides of the ball could come in the form of a few prospects in the 2013 class. The Crimson Tide has a favorable schedule in SEC play, as they miss South Carolina, Florida and Georgia in crossover games with the East Division.

2. Ohio State

3. Oregon

4. LSU

5. Georgia

6. Florida

7. Texas A&M

SEC fatigue............again!!!

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
If you look at Ohio's schedule......it is cupcake. So in my mind, I had them in the championship game. They will lose a ton of talent though next year to either graduation or the draft but thet have Miller coming back.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They think AJ comes back?
It's hard to see him going in the first 2 rounds of the draft due to competition at the QB spot.

It's certainly possible, but I think the odds are he returns at this point. I'll say this though. I look back at the recent drafts and see some of the guys that went in the first round (Blane Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill) and I think AJ is a better prospect than those guys were.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Phil Savage on JOX today was asked about AJ and thinks he will return. I really like his insight.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Even if/when AJ has a light's out NCG, he would be giving up potentially MILLIONS of dollars by coming out this year instead of waiting. He can do no worse by waiting, but he certainly CAN improve his stock by working on his game and body for another year before entering the draft, for sure.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I think a lot of the "AJM to the NFL" talk began this past offseason and snowballed with his excellent start. I think, as CA states above, that the people around AJM have stopped pushing for it... and they were the primary reason why many thought he was a shoo-in to leave earlier in the year.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
It's hard to see him going in the first 2 rounds of the draft due to competition at the QB spot.

It's certainly possible, but I think the odds are he returns at this point. I'll say this though. I look back at the recent drafts and see some of the guys that went in the first round (Blane Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill) and I think AJ is a better prospect than those guys were.
He could go in the first two rounds, if there weren't all those great Bama players going into the draft!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think Georgia is a little high on their list. I think their defense will have to be completely re-built.

As for us, we should be a much improved team overall. I've been impressed with our backup OL, so I don't see much of a drop off there. With Cooper and Black plus the other WR's we have they should be a force and even if our only RB coming in was Henry we should be unstoppable running the ball.

Defensively we don't lose much and all the talent on that side of the ball should be more experienced.

Our biggest downside could be leadership again, but this time on both sides of the ball. We'll just have to see who develops as a leader.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That tells me all I need to know. Phil is as plugged into the Alabama program as anyone out there.
He's a great source on this matter because he's close to our program AND the NFL franchises through the Senior Bowl. If he thinks he's coming back then he probably has a great idea of McCarron's draft grade if he asked for information. I think McCarron is a 3rd round grade right now and Saban usually gets back everyone who doesn't have a 1st round draft grade to come back. Kareem Jackson was an exception...he had a 2nd round grade but he got into the 1st round.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is hearsay. The real evidence is that McCarron looks like a 3rd round grade if he requests information from the draft board. Saban gets back almost everyone who grades out below first round.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.