View Poll Results: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 29.05%
  • No - It is history, just leave it

62 41.89%
  • No - It is legit

19 12.84%
  • Don't care

24 16.22%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Re: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Until 1998, we had no BCS system. Pretty soon, there will be a playoff. Over the years, there have been many different organizations that awarded championships. I think we should recognize every accomplishment awarded.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bama70 View Post
    Tell me you actually started this thread to identify the "barners" on this board.
    Just the Bama fans who don't need Wayne Atcheson to tell them when Bama won NCs
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 13th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

I really do not see this discussion going well. Call it a hunch :)

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Ironic that Bama allowed one man (Wayne Atcheson) to determine which years that they would recognize as National Championship years. And that he allowed one man ( Deke Houlgate) to determine that 1941 would be one of those years.
    Last edited by ALA2262; December 13th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

It's a good thing when you have so many... You can actually discuss dropping one
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

The Championships were awarded to, and belong to, the University. I'm okay with claiming whichever titles the University opts to recognize. Usually it's our rivals who tend to get bent out of shape about which one(s) we claim.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-American

for general argument's sake, i only refer to the ap/bcs titles we have.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I respectfully do not agree at all. The way they did it back then wasn't the way they do it now but that doesn't mean that, at the time, it was wrong. That would be like asking Army and the Notre Dame Rockne teams to give up the titles they earned back then as well and that's just not good for college football history and tradition.
    Notre Dame only claims consensus titles. Alabama wasn't even in the top five in the final polls in 1941. That was a 9-2 team that finished third in the SEC standing, behind Mississippi State and Tennessee.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I respect the post sincerely but there's a simple fact that needs to be addressed---If in fact the Houlgate System was recognized as a legitimate championship selector or poll in 1941 then that's the way it was. If they selected us then they did.

We can't use 2012 logic to determine if 1941 logic was correct. It's not 1941.

sip
    The Houlgate System was a mathematical system used to determine champions from 1937-1958. However, I feel that the AP and UPI/Coaches polls should be the determining factor between 1936 and 1997. Prior to 1936, the Rose Bowl champion was usually recognized as your national champion and "wire service champ". After 1997, it is of course the BCS.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Maybe we need to ask the real so called experts over at the barn how many titles we should claim.LOL!!!!!! Bottom line is we have shown time and time again we are a national contenter and continue to prove this over and over and that point can not be disputed.

I wish I could find it again, but there is a recruiting letterhead that was floating around for some time. It was from 1981 or 1982. It listed Alabama's national championships at the top (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, and 1979). Alabama didn't officially claim the Rose Bowl teams or 1941 until the mid-1980s, when the SID made the change.

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Interesting 2004 TF thread on topic & Houlgate explanation video

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Ironic that Bama allowed one man (Wayne Atcheson) to determine which years that they would recognize as National Championship years. And that he allowed one man ( Deke Houlgate) to determine that 1941 would be one of those years.
    ALA2262, Deke Houlgate had credentials, which were recognized by many in 1941 and prior. In the linked video, below in this thread, Houlgate's grandson explains this system of ranking. It makes good sense to me. Likely, it will make sense to others, after watching the video.

I say keep 1941. Plus, add 1966 & a few others. ROLL TIDE!

Link to 2004 thread, which explains Houlgate very well. Those who want context will click & read.

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19012

1941 Bama uniform
    Last edited by banjeaux; December 13th, 2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Include ALA2262 quote and add comment
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    I wish I could find it again, but there is a recruiting letterhead that was floating around for some time. It was from 1981 or 1982. It listed Alabama's national championships at the top (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, and 1979). Alabama didn't officially claim the Rose Bowl teams or 1941 until the mid-1980s, when the SID made the change.
    You seem to have struck a nerve with this topic. It is a point of ridicule from many opposing fan-basses that 1941 is claimed by Alabama. Like you say, until the 80s when Wayne Atcheson then the SID, added 5 championships to the media guide the University did not officially recognize that year as a championship.

"Atcheson is the former Alabama sports information director who added five pre-Bear Bryant national titles to the team's media guide in the 1980s."

So how did an SID from the Ray Perkins era -- a period with zero SEC titles, much less any national titles -- shape such a core belief that many Alabama supporters today accept as gospel?
    "I tried to make Alabama football look the best it could look and just make it as great as it could possibly be,"

http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/01/got_12.html
    Last edited by IMALOYAL1; December 12th, 2012 at 09:39 PM.