View Poll Results: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 29.05%
  • No - It is history, just leave it

62 41.89%
  • No - It is legit

19 12.84%
  • Don't care

24 16.22%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I watched it last night too and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Just the single most dominant defensive performance ever on the biggest stage. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like that again. Well, not until they show it on TV again.
    Wrong thread?

DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

How can Bama claim that NC with 2 losses? There were several teams with 1 or 0 losses ahead of us. I don't Claim it and never will but 1945, 1966 and 1977 are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Threads like this bother me because I wonder to myself, "With all the positives going on with Bama football right now in 2012 why in the world would we feel the need to discuss something so negative as to whether we should disavow a national championship we won 71 years ago?"

I mean maybe I need someone to explain to me these questions, "What positive and useful purpose does this thread serve?" "How does it benefit anybody involved with Alabama football in any way whatsoever?"..and finally "Are you kidding me?"

sip
    Quoted for truth.

Threads like this make me wonder about some of the 'fans' here...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I feel like after every one of your posts I'm supposed to take a drink. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it sure does make work a lot more interesting.
    ....it just seems incredible to me that in less than a month we're playing for our third national championship in three years and we're spending our time discussing whether we should disavow a championship claimed over 70 years ago. It's kind of like.."Ok class...everybody made 100 on the math test. Now, what negative subject can we find to talk about?"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Threads like this make me wonder about some of the 'fans' here...
    Amen brother!

can someone explain just exactly WHY we originally claimed 1941? I feel like a have a pretty good grasp of the others, but can't really wrap my brain around '41...

Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    can someone explain just exactly WHY we originally claimed 1941? I feel like a have a pretty good grasp of the others, but can't really wrap my brain around '41...
    It's simple - because Houlgate awarded us the National Championship that year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand...

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    ONE (Wayne Atcheson) man took ONE (Deke Houlgate) man's word for it.

10. December 13th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Reason
    Have a nice vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    It's simple - because Houlgate awarded us the National Championship that year. Not sure how that's difficult to understand...
    This is my point of the entire thread.

They are plenty of other years when someone awarded us the championship (1945, 1966, 1977 among others), but we don't recognize them.

Why should we recognize this rather bogus one in '41 and not the others?

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefloydian View Post
    I don't really see the point in claiming these national titles that were awarded by publications/organizations that no one has ever heard of/cares about.
    So in 75 years, perhaps we should disavow the championships we're winning now because the BCS will be long gone and they've moved on to a different system?

SMH......

BamaNation All-SEC 37bamagreats55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tider n LA View Post
    How can Bama claim that NC with 2 losses? There were several teams with 1 or 0 losses ahead of us. I don't Claim it and never will but 1945, 1966 and 1977 are a different story.
    Didn't LSU win a BCS championship with two losses just a few short years ago.

It was the age back then. Just like in 75 years, the BCS will probably be long gone and whatever new system they will have in place will make this polling system an afterthought.
    I don't see why people are having such a hard time with this. While '41 wasn't our most spectacular season, it is one of our championship years.
    People - step down from the ledge.

It wont ever change. There would be too many people in this state that would have to get thier tattoos redone

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I'll give that championship back if they give us the 1966 title that was denied for purely political reasons.
    BS 1989