View Poll Results: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 29.05%
  • No - It is history, just leave it

62 41.89%
  • No - It is legit

19 12.84%
  • Don't care

24 16.22%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Re: Should we disavow the 1941 Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by 37bamagreats55 View Post
    Didn't LSU win a BCS championship with two losses just a few short years ago.

It was the age back then. Just like in 75 years, the BCS will probably be long gone and whatever new system they will have in place will make this polling system an afterthought.
    I don't see why people are having such a hard time with this. While '41 wasn't our most spectacular season, it is one of our championship years.
    People - step down from the ledge.
    LSU's 2007 BCS title, however lucky it was, is still a concensus title. That's the angle I'm pointing at here.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

If Houlgate was, at the time, indeed accepted by the NCAA as a legitimate selector of the National Title then this argument is over and we can all be happy!! Except of course those who would rather see us disavow national championships than claim them.

Maybe we should disavow 64 as well. After all, the championship was awarded before the bowls at the time. HOWEVER, us all being so concerned about fairness to all the other schools and total absolute legitimacy maybe we should say "Hey, we lost to Texas in the Orange Bowl" so we really didn't deserve it.

65?-- Not ours to claim. My God we lost AND tied a game..so forget the circumstances at the time..that one's out as well.

Last year?-- Throw it out the window, we didn't even win our division and 80 years from now in similar threads we'll be considered to have been the "third best team in the SEC"..behind the West winner and the East winner.

09 is definitely out because we would have never beaten Texas if Colt McCoy hadn't been injured.

I'll keep researching. Maybe we can find a way to disavow them all.

If I can find anything negative to add to the thread I'll post it. If I find something positive to say I'll refrain.

Lord knows I don't want to hijack such a great totally pathetic discussion.

By the way..does anyone know if we're playing in a bowl game this year? If so please post it so I'll know.

I'm gonna read my National Inquirer now, chew some tobacco and light up the wood stove.

Ya'll have at it lol

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    The continued claim of 1941 makes it harder to justify the other "non-poll titles" from the 1920s and 1930s.
    Justify to whom? Rival doubters? Most will never be convinced. However, you'll never convince others, if you are not convinced yourself. Dismiss your 2012 view and look at the football world of 1941, as seen by Deke Houlgate and his followers. I suggest that you again read post #77 above & view the video. When you thoroughly grasp that Houlgate's system has a built in strength of schedule component, your opinion may change. Why not give it a try.
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

NOWAY!

Quote Originally Posted by banjeaux View Post
    Justify to whom? Rival doubters? Most will never be convinced. However, you'll never convince others, if you are not convinced yourself. Dismiss your 2012 view and look at the football world of 1941, as seen by Deke Houlgate and his followers. I suggest that you again read post #77 above & view the video. When you thoroughly grasp that Houlgate's system has a built in strength of schedule component, your opinion may change. Why not give it a try.
    Because Alabama was 9-2 and finished third in its conference, as well as not finishing inside the top 20. Let alone the top two.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Because Alabama was 9-2 and finished third in its conference, as well as not finishing inside the top 20. Let alone the top two.
    Then start a petition signed by Bama fans wanting to disavow the 41 National Title. Go present it to Mal Moore and feel good about it.
    My signature won't be on it.

For what it's worth, I made this comment on the thread about Alabama and Notre Dame being tied for AP Titles.

"The 1941 team stayed together following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and then played one of the few other teams who had not disbanded, Texas A&M.

Many of the men from both schools were sworn into active duty during halftime of that Cotton Bowl game.

Alabama completely dominated Texas A&M on the field, and I believe Coach Thomas put in our second and third string after building a pretty hefty lead, 29-7, or something like that.

There were only three or four bowl games, and a lot of the conference champions had disbanded, so the remaining teams moved up in the pecking order.

At that time people here on the home-front had no earthly idea what was going to happen. For all they knew, that might have been the last football team UofA ever fielded.

The national championship was awarded during those very trying circumstances. I think that that is why the university chose to include that team among the other 13."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Mamacalled's Avatar

Hell, we didn't even make it to the Conference championship game last year. Are we going to disavow last year?
    As for games before 36, the newspapers refered to the Rose Bowl the National Champioship in those days. Aren't the newspapers writers considered as the AP?

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce014 View Post
    For what it's worth, I made this comment on the thread about Alabama and Notre Dame being tied for AP Titles.

"The 1941 team stayed together following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and then played one of the few other teams who had not disbanded, Texas A&M.

Many of the men from both schools were sworn into active duty during halftime of that Cotton Bowl game.

Alabama completely dominated Texas A&M on the field, and I believe Coach Thomas put in our second and third string after building a pretty hefty lead, 29-7, or something like that.

There were only three or four bowl games, and a lot of the conference champions had disbanded, so the remaining teams moved up in the pecking order.

At that time people here on the home-front had no earthly idea what was going to happen. For all they knew, that might have been the last football team UofA ever fielded.

The national championship was awarded during those very trying circumstances. I think that that is why the university chose to include that team among the other 13."
    Great insight, sometimes we forget the historical nuances and meaning behind said nuances that get lost over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamacalled View Post
    Hell, we didn't even make it to the Conference championship game last year. Are we going to disavow last year?
    As for games before 36, the newspapers refered to the Rose Bowl the National Champioship in those days. Aren't the newspapers writers considered as the AP?
    You're being obtuse. Alabama was still ranked in the top two. And won a consensus title in 2011. Had that been the case in 1941, I wouldn't have issue with it. I'm just a firm believer in claiming poll titles during the period of 1936-1997.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Big believer in claiming championships based on how they were viewed at the time. For instance, there's plenty of evidence that the whole country viewed the 1925 team as national champions, and we have the primary sources to prove it. I honestly don't know about 1941. Haven't looked into it. Someone should go down to the Bryant Museum and report back to us. They have newspapers from every year on Alabama football. Did people in 1941 consider us the national champion? If so, who are we to dispute it?

Fans of other teams are always going to joke about how Bama claims 50 championships, so I don't know that wiping one off the books is really going to make a difference there.

As for the actual validity of the title, I'm sure this Houlgate fellow was legit at the time, but for Bama to have lost two games, and have only one person/group name them champs, well, our '41 claim is shaky at best and ridiculous at worst.

BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Not only no but ...