Link: Alphonse Taylor has a great attitude about redshirt year...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Alphonse Taylor has a great attitude about redshirt year : link

reading that makes me feel a lot better about the losses on the offensive line...
shows a Great attitude, and willing to learn from some of the best linemen in the game....

I expect a little more mistakes while they learn to play togerher, but if they have this type of attitude, well, that will definitly shorten the learning curve...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Next year's OL will take a step back compared to this year, but will be very good. Lots of talent and it sure sounds like everyone has bought in to the process...

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

I like his attitude, too. Just wondering, though - is 6'5" a good height for guard? I've always imagined a guard to be a little shorter, although it may not make a lot of difference. Does he have the potential to fill a tackle position?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I like his attitude, too. Just wondering, though - is 6'5" a good height for guard? I've always imagined a guard to be a little shorter, although it may not make a lot of difference. Does he have the potential to fill a tackle position?
tackle requires better footwork than guard...the guard position is more about leverage. Being taller can be either a positive or negative, depending on how tall he plays at the position...

of course, if he plays too tall and loses leverage against the d-linemen, he wont get on the field as a guard, IMO.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Usually 6'4" & 6'5" is prototypical for an NFL Guard. Keep in mind that 6'5" was Taylor's listed recruiting height. He's probably closer to 6'4" as nearly every player measures in about half an inch to an inch shorter than expected at the NFL combine.

2011 NFL All-Pro Guards
Carl Nicks 6-5
Jahri Evans 6-4

2010 NFL All-Pro Guards
Logan Mankins 6-4
Jahri Evans 6-4

2009 NFL All-Pro Guards
Steve Hutchinson 6-5
Jahri Evans 6-4

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Great article. We are going to replace some great one's from this team but even they had to start somewhere.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Next year's OL will take a step back compared to this year, but will be very good. Lots of talent and it sure sounds like everyone has bought in to the process...
Our current line loses Barret Jones (Center), Chance Warmack (Guard), Anthony Steen (Guard), and high probability of DJ Fluker (Tackle).

...Thats a whole lot of talent walking away we have to replace in one year...

I know its way too early and nobody knows for certain, but from what we know, which players seem to have the edge to replace these guys on the line?

Anybody have a guess?

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
I remember reading earlier in the season that Warmack spoke very highly of Taylor's talent and said he would be a beast after he leaves.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I remember reading earlier in the season that Warmack spoke very highly of Taylor's talent and said he would be a beast after he leaves.

I kind of expect Arie Kouandjou will replace one guard position; perhaps Alphonse Taylor will be the other...

I wonder Who the prime candidates for Right Tackle and Center will be?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Going by the depth chart released in August: Chad Lindsay was #2 behind Warmack; Ryan Kelly was behind Barrett (Freshman All-SEC); Arie was behind Steen; Austin Shepherd was behind DJ.

Of course, things change throughout the season. Leon Brown can very well come in and take over DJ's spot instead of Shepherd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.