Question: QB Luke Del Rio (Jack's son) Walkiing on at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Seen on 247sports.com that Luke Del Rio is thinking about visiting Alabama since he reopened his recruitment. Does anyone know if there's a real chance in getting him? Thanks.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Re: Luke Del Rio

This guy wants to walk on as his sister attends Bama. I watched his clips and he looks pretty darn good to me. Maybe not elite, but would be a great addition, especially as a walk on. Crazy that he would turn down scholly's. He attended the elite QB camps and they seemed to be impressed with him too. I will post clips.

jnhgiela

Suspended
May 26, 2011
Mobile, AL

I'm pretty sure he can afford to pay. But, yes, it's crazy to think that he would be willing to walk on at UA and forego other places actually wanting him to be their #1 QB.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

sets feet to throw even when on the move. Long ball looks as good as AJs already. Does well seeing field even with pressure. Could be a break out player where ever he goes.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Re: QB Luke Del Rio interested in walking-on at Bama (Jack's son)

It seems to me that a lot of NFL people want their kids to learn from CNS. Is there a limit on how many NFL coaches' sons can walk on to a single program? Will the NCAA bring the hammer down for our unofficial undergraduate coach-in-training program? ;-)

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

It seems to me that a lot of NFL people want their kids to learn from CNS. Is there a limit on how many NFL coaches' sons can walk on to a single program? Will the NCAA bring the hammer down for our unofficial undergraduate coach-in-training program? ;-)
that's exactly what their father's are thinking

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm pretty sure he can afford to pay. But, yes, it's crazy to think that he would be willing to walk on at UA and forego other places actually wanting him to be their #1 QB.
There could be a lot to it. One might be that he doesn't believe he has can have a career as a pro quarterback. If coaching is something he wants to get into, what better place could he go? The other is that he might have a lot of confidence in his skills. If he believes he can prove himself then why not walk on at Alabama? His family can afford it.

To me the most interesting thing is how that could potentially impact Alabama's recruiting at QB. No way they'd want to lose out on Bateman, but with AJ coming back I'd have to think Luke walking on would be quite enticing. But, where would that leave Parker McLeod? I'm not sure how the whole thing works in terms of recruited walk-on but it seems Luke would be more valuable for a number of reasons.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Recruited walk-on means he has to sit a year correct?
I don't think that would matter too much. He'd be no better than 6th on the depth chart.

2013 QB's:
AJ McCarron
Blake Simms
Phillip Ely
Alec Morris
Cooper Bateman
Parker McLeod
Luke Del Rio

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I don't think that would matter too much. He'd be no better than 6th on the depth chart.

2013 QB's:
AJ McCarron
Blake Simms
Phillip Ely
Alec Morris
Cooper Bateman
Parker McLeod
Luke Del Rio
Are you sure about that? If you go by rivals (which doesn't know everything of course), he's rated higher than McLeod and Morris. I suppose if Bateman is on campus and AJ is still there, I'd expect either Morris or Ely (who ever is buried the deepest on the depth chart) to consider transferring.

Also, may be this is just me but I'd think if Luke was interested the staff would cool on McLeod. AJ is coming back, so the situation is not as desperate and wouldn't Luke as the second QB basically give them another slot to sign someone?

Anyway, as I see it the most likely situation (if he did come to Alabama) would be for Luke to start off 5th on the depth chart (behind AJ, Blake, Ely, and Bateman). I just don't see the incentive for three QBs to end up in the same class together and I'd absolutely hate for anything to scare off Bateman.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Are you sure about that? If you go by rivals (which doesn't know everything of course), he's rated higher than McLeod and Morris. I suppose if Bateman is on campus and AJ is still there, I'd expect either Morris or Ely (who ever is buried the deepest on the depth chart) to consider transferring.

Also, may be this is just me but I'd think if Luke was interested the staff would cool on McLeod. AJ is coming back, so the situation is not as desperate and wouldn't Luke as the second QB basically give them another slot to sign someone?

Anyway, as I see it the most likely situation (if he did come to Alabama) would be for Luke to start off 5th on the depth chart (behind AJ, Blake, Ely, and Bateman). I just don't see the incentive for three QBs to end up in the same class together and I'd absolutely hate for anything to scare off Bateman.
I can't imagine either scaring off Bateman. I would feel for McLeod if he lost a scholly offer because of a walk-on option. The media backlash would be pretty brutal if McLeod complained, particularly if the AJC got ahold of him for an interview.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Regardless, 7th, 6th, 5th, or 4th he's not playing next year. BamaFlum brought up the point that he would have to sit out a year, but I don't see any QB coming into our system anytime soon that wouldn't have to sit out a year.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL

I think Del Rio is a really good QB. I have seen some brief highlights, and I was pretty impressed. Getting a guy like that to walk-on would be great! Kudos to him too for even considering it.

I don't think this would scare off Bateman. He loves Bama and Coach Nuss. His commitment has always been rock solid. I think it's more likely to affect McLeod if it were going to affect either of the two.

We will just have to see how it shakes out. I would personally welcome Del Rio with open arms. He is a talented kid, and I honestly think he could contribute at some point down the road.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

I've heard his dad now wants to coach here.................

old joke for those of us that have been here a while. :cool:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Just to kind of reiterate, Luke is the kind of kid that would be the top QB in some past Alabama classes. He's not a top recruit, but he's good, he has offers and I think it says a lot about the kid that he's considering walking on at Alabama. It shows good priorities. I'm not sure how realistic his walking on is, but I'd think it's perfect timing for a walk-on.
I can't imagine either scaring off Bateman. I would feel for McLeod if he lost a scholly offer because of a walk-on option. The media backlash would be pretty brutal if McLeod complained, particularly if the AJC got ahold of him for an interview.
I don't think Luke would scare off Bateman, but the combination of three QBs in a class basically, and AJ returning could be a bit of an issue. In terms of McLeod, I could care less about the media backlash, they'll make a bigger deal about plants dying than armed robberies so if they can't get a good story they'll run with a ridiculous one anyway. I said cool though, not pull... I don't know who the staff likes best, but if Alabama likes Luke better than McLeod, and Luke wants to walk-on, I think they have to be up front with McLeod. What is worse, getting him on campus and saying ok, you're on the bottom of the totem pole, or telling him before he arrives?

Regardless, 7th, 6th, 5th, or 4th he's not playing next year. BamaFlum brought up the point that he would have to sit out a year, but I don't see any QB coming into our system anytime soon that wouldn't have to sit out a year.
Right, and I think this makes the situation ideal. He'd be able to play once AJ is gone and that seems ideal. This is just my personal opinion, but all things considered I would consider Luke walking on to be of more worth than McLeod getting a scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.