I promised a defensive update 3 months ago...but how about a complete update? 12/13

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I'm sorry for the delay. I know several of you have PM'd me wanting the defensive update I promised in late September, but I've barely had time to sit down. Alas....I've had some time this week, so here we go:

QB Recruiting: Done

It looked like we flirted with the Juco kid, and it's never a bad idea to do so, especially to keep some ties to the schools, but with AJ coming back, we are done at QB.

1. Cooper Bateman
2. Parker McLeod

Bateman is an elite level QB, but he had to do it all this year for his team. They struggled a bit at first, but actually performed well late in the year. Lots of praise heaped on this kid's ability.

McLeod does not look flashy, sound flashy, but he plays in a similar offense, understands football, and will remind everyone of a little lankier McElroy. He is and will be a game manager who minimizes mistakes from the QB position. Some say he outperformed Bateman they only time they were side-by-side.

RB Recruiting: Done...well, maybe....

1. Altee Tenpenny
2. Tyren Jones
3. Derrick Henry

Tenpenny committed when he was recovering from knee surgery and that was his question mark entering this season. However, he put down times in camps that were around the 4.4 mark and is going to be an elite back. Hometown pressure mounts by the day- especially with the Hogs ‘needing’ elite players to pull them out of the hole and Bielema having a history of running the ball. He is holding firm at this point.

Tyren Jones is easily underrated by everyone. His numbers this year are outstanding and the only worry we have is that his coach gives him the rock 40 times a game. But, he will carry his team as far as he can and UGA wants him bad. A late season injury slowed him down a little, and he carried the ball 40+ times in games this year.

Derrick Henry. Big, fast, strong and….big. Henry is large and fast and that usually equates to being a freak athlete….and he is. Everyone wants him to play defense, but he is a running back and will be a running back in college. He just set the national record for career rushing yards.

Alvin Kamara continues to be recruited hard and continues to entertain joining this huge RB class. He is the smallest of the 4, but the kid can play, and could be a Christion Jones type athlete who you could see as a returner, in the slot, or in the backfield like Jones did for a couple of practices. The kid can play, so I would not question the take.

WR Recruiting: 1, potentially 2 more.

1. Raheem Falkins
2. Ardarius Stewart

Raheem Falkins pretty much surprised everyone when he committed and did not appear to be on LSU’s radar, which left some scratching their heads. However, Falkins made it clear that he was leaving the state and jumped on a Bama offer. Height and long arms- with good hands to boot- are Falkins separating factor. Not overly explosive or elusive, he just can make a big catch. Pretty decent route runner too.

I list Ardarius Stewart the with WRs because he won’t play QB (maybe specialty) but it’s so hard to imagine him without the ball in his hands. He has the athletic ability to play corner, but he is pretty special with the ball and has carried Fultondale the past two seasons.

We lost one since the last update in Deon Johnson. But, we are still after Robert Foster, and sources think we are ahead of Pitt at this point. Hometown pressure is huge on him, at the moment, and grades may be a concern-- which is why he may not be ready to pull the trigger to a SEC scholarship limited school in Alabama.

Eldridge Massington is one we may hear something on relatively soon, as he wants to be an early enrollee and we are checking on room. Injuries this summer/early fall slowed him down on the circuit, but he is legit.

TE Recruiting: Done

1. OJ Howard
2. Josh McNeil

There could not have been a better TE haul in this class with Howard and McNeil. Howard will likely gravitate towards the H-back role. I can only imagine the mismatches he will create as a receiving threat. Though some weight would help him block a little better, I think the staff will keep him slimmer to step out in the slot. McNeil will probably be the true TE and can block and catch well.

OL Recruiting: 1-2 more tackles

1. Bradley Bozeman
2. Grant Hill
3. Leon Brown

Bozeman is easily the hardest working high school senior OL I have seen. The amount of muscle and strength this kid has put in since committing is remarkable.

Hill is a highly rated OL and is reportedly in superior shape to much of his competition. Like Bozeman, he is a swing guy and could play G or T.

Leon Brown will be asked to come in and replace Fluker and we hope is up to the task. Brown has slimmed down to 306 and seems to be moving quicker.

Laremy Tunsil is the name to know and he is easily our biggest remaining target. Tunsil will be a tough pull from UGA at this point, and sources are not as confident as they once were-- especially after Henry committed. With DJ Fluker likely going pro, we need to monitor.

Expect Alabama to continue to recruit FSU commit and Prattville HS Sr. Austin Golson, but he is only recently paying us any attention.

Brandon Hill was on, off, and now perhaps back on again after committing to Ole Miss out of the blue. The staff is still recruiting him despite some rumors of being heavier than the staff wants.

David Knevel did not get his EE offer.

David Dawson is in the mix, as well, but it looks like he may be 3rd on the pecking order. Distance could be an issue for him as well, though mom is willing to move.

Cornerback Recruiting: 1 more

1. Maurice Smith

Safety Recruiting: 1 more

1. Anthony Averett

Our DB commitments are both guys you don't hear a lot about, but are two excellent athletes. Smith was extremely high on our staff's CB board, and helped us be very selective with the next one.

At CB, it looks like we are down to Jalen Ramsey, Johnathan Cook, and Marquez White. Each situation is unique. Ramsey is looking around and now that Tee Martin is NOT going to UT, we may have a little edge over any flip from his USC commitment. Johnathan Cook would jump on an offer and switch from Nebraska, but we are waiting on grades to do so. Marquez White is flirting with the notion of flipping from FSU to Bama, but insists he wants to play WR, even though FSU wants him at CB, like we do.

At S, Averett is a tremendous athlete as evidenced by his track star ability and long jump records. Excited to have him in the secondary. After Averett, it is down to Tony Conner and Vonn Bell, with Bell being the most likely at this point. Conner is leaning to Ole Miss and it is tough to get an OM lean from South Panola. Bell is looking at Bama, tOSU, and UT, with the edge going to Bama at the moment.

LB Recruiting: 1 more if it's the right one

1. Johnathan Allen
2. Walker Jones

Johnathan Allen is a freak athlete that could play Jack, MLB, or grow into an end. He is already in the 255-260 range and can move.

Walker Jones will play an ILB or perhaps Sam. He is the youngest Jones' brother and we know we will get a hard working kid from his family genes.

We all know the circus that is Reuben Foster and his decommitment from Bama, and then from Agbarn. The staff has talked with him, at Reuben's reach, and are in a wait-and-see mode with him, currently. I don't think he'll be welcomed back, personally.

ILB Matthew Thomas had us as his leader way back in the process, but mom never really liked the idea of him leaving. However, some close to the situation say he needs to get out of Miami. He is a take.

ILB Kendall Beckwith had a great visit this past weekend and is a take as well....if, his grades are good enough. However, LSU is firmly entrenched with this one, as well, and will be a tough pull.

Zach Cunningham has a greyshirt offer at this point. He just received a full offer from the new Barn staff. No indication of his thinking at this time.

DL Recruiting: 1 more

1. Demarcus Walker (jack lb?)
2. Darius Page

Walker could play Jack and may start there because he has actually dropped into the 250ish range. I think this is where he wants to start, but we will leave him in the DE category for organizational purposes.

Page is an under-the-radar athlete, despite the sour grapes that some coaches/principals had around his moving schools. The truth is he was struggling academically, but made significant improvement on his own. Dareus comparisons on multiple levels.

Dee Liner seems to be the most likely addition here. Despite his Barn commitment, he has been in Bama gear for the past two months and a late switch seems likely. The staff must feel good about his past altercations to take a shot at him.

Montravious Adams got a visit from CNS this morning, and it will be interesting to see his reaction. I still consider him a long shot at this point, likely going to Clemson or UGA, but he is a take.

Jay-nard Bostwick and A'Shawn Robinson have been names thrown around, but seem unlikely at this point, with Bostwick being a back up plan (not a ton of info, either) and Robinson not a likely pull.

Special Teams: done

1. Cole Mazza

It's not often you use a scholarship on an long-snapper....but if you do, he must be a good one.

Tide Warrior

All-American
Jun 7, 2009
Asheville, NC-Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks for the update.

R Foster according to his coach is still planning on announcing next Friday the 21st, which is his BDay. I also heard the Tunsil visit went as well as it could. The same on Hill and some even believe he may have flipped bakc. I know Dawson is scheduled for Jan 11th. At this point if we get Hill back and Dawson wants to come I would take him. But even with OVs scheduled another site says that Tunsil may announce at the allstar game.

Apparently Ramsey may be a long shot now with Buck Fitzgerald since he basically stirred A Richardson to UT. But Thomas if he comes for an OV I like our chances with Stoops gone and Ice trying to get him out of Miami.

Mazza has set about every record there is in long snapping.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Thanks for the update.

R Foster according to his coach is still planning on announcing next Friday the 21st, which is his BDay. I also heard the Tunsil visit went as well as it could. The same on Hill and some even believe he may have flipped bakc. I know Dawson is scheduled for Jan 11th. At this point if we get Hill back and Dawson wants to come I would take him. But even with OVs scheduled another site says that Tunsil may announce at the allstar game.

Apparently Ramsey may be a long shot now with Buck Fitzgerald since he basically stirred A Richardson to UT. But Thomas if he comes for an OV I like our chances with Stoops gone and Ice trying to get him out of Miami.

what records are there for long snapping?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: Nkimdeche

I think it's a foregone conclusion he ends up at OM. I just didn't bother typing it, like I really didn't want to type the Reuben mess. :)

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks RTO. Awesome breakdown. Holding onto Tenpenny would be huge. Hope we close out well on the remaining prospects.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Hmm ... interesting and impressive info. I gotta say I still have skepticism about offering a snapper and possibly leaving a great "conventional" prospect out in the cold, but Mazza seems like a tremendous talent.
For the first time in my life, I watched long snapper footage. While it wasn't live-game footage, what he does with the ball is ridiculous in that footage. With the time that it takes for the ball to get to the kicker, it should really help with reducing the chances of blocked punts/kicks. And of course, if CNS says he's worth a scholarship, then he's worth a scholarship!

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Thanks for the update.

I guess he wants to make sure the world hasn't come to an end before his commitment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.