Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Former Players That May Get into Coaching Later....

I honestly can't see any of the "big name" players getting into coaching.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rtcjny View Post
    Yeah maybe coaching the prison football team.
    Ouch.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Vinnie for sure.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Chris Bonds.

Great character guy. He came here very heavily recruited. Had a leg injury toward the end of high school. But he's been a great teammate here. He still has at least one year of eligibility left, but if you pay attention during the game, he's the guy wearing #93 and with probably the cleanest uniform of any of our players and he's holding up signs to call plays in. Seems as if he's already on the path to coaching.

And as it is, the best coaches most times are guys who weren't the superstars (i.e. Coach Bryant being NFL HoFer's Don Hutson's teammate and Coach Saban being NFL HoFer's Jack Lambert's teammate). For several reasons....the ones with the talent can use their God given ability to compensate for mistakes. The ones that aren't as talented have to learn ALL the right things in order to be successful. The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatience with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.

So that's how you can get the Nick Sabans and Les Mileses of the world. Most of the great coaches were probably scout team type players, giving them time to absorb a LOT of knowledge while helping to prepare their teammates for competition.
    Last edited by WMack4Bama; December 13th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    Chris Bonds.

Great character guy. He came here very heavily recruited. Had a leg injury toward the end of high school. But he's been a great teammate here. He still has at least one year of eligibility left, but if you pay attention during the game, he's the guy wearing #93 and with probably the cleanest uniform of any of our players and he's holding up signs to call plays in. Seems as if he's already on the path to coaching.

And as it is, the best coaches most times are guys who weren't the superstars (i.e. Coach Bryant being NFL HoFer's Don Hutson's teammate and Coach Saban being NFL HoFer's). For several reasons....the ones with the talent can use their God given ability to compensate for mistakes. The ones that aren't as talented have to learn ALL the right things in order to be successful. The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatiences with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.

So that's how you can get the Nick Sabans and Les Mileses of the world. Most of the great coaches were probably scout team type players, giving them time to absorb a LOT of knowledge while helping to prepare their teammates for competition.
    Great points.

I really, really hope Singletary gets another shot. I love that guy.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

The superstars often don't have the patience for the underachievers or for those that don't work as hard as they did (reference Magic Johnson's failure as a head coach of the Lakers, Mike Singletary's failure in San Francisco, and Steve Spurrier's notorious impatiences with his QBs over the years), but the ones who weren't as awfully talented can understand the plight of those who aren't as talented.
    See: Anything related to Michael Jordan.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Seems to me that he'd be a hell of an assistant coach. Could you imagine him coaching LB at UA? I'm perfectly happy with our coaching staff, don't get me wrong, but he'd probably be a hell of a coach if his job was to teach what he knew about defense. I actually think he's the exception to WMack's list - an ultrahard worker with relatively good talent. I think the problem was deeper than simply him expecting too much from his players. It's a lot different to be a great team-manager and person-manager than to teach a craft. Saban's craft is DB, but clearly he has amazing skills with regards to teaching discipline and motivation.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Great points.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Seems to me that he'd be a hell of an assistant coach. Could you imagine him coaching LB at UA? I'm perfectly happy with our coaching staff, don't get me wrong, but he'd probably be a hell of a coach if his job was to teach what he knew about defense. I actually think he's the exception to WMack's list - an ultrahard worker with relatively good talent. I think the problem was deeper than simply him expecting too much from his players. It's a lot different to be a great team-manager and person-manager than to teach a craft. Saban's craft is DB, but clearly he has amazing skills with regards to teaching discipline and motivation.
    The issue with Coach Sing was that he jumped straight from position coach to head coach. Completely skipped the coordinator part. There's a different level of organization and decision making that goes with each step up. He simply wasn't prepared for the job. His good friend and former teammate, Leslie Frazier, hired him as an assistant with the Vikings.What's happening in San Francisco right now...his contribution is not lost on me. He instilled that toughness in them. That defensive toughness was before he left. And as a life long 49er fan, I REALLY appreciate his contribution.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American lynyrd skynyrd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

Musso
    "Footballs only brutal when one sides hittin' and the other'n ain't". Clem Gryska UA asst. coach, 1973

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

The issue with Coach Sing was that he jumped straight from position coach to head coach. Completely skipped the coordinator part. There's a different level of organization and decision making that goes with each step up. He simply wasn't prepared for the job. His good friend and former teammate, Leslie Frazier, hired him as an assistant with the Vikings.What's happening in San Francisco right now...his contribution is not lost on me. He instilled that toughness in them. That defensive toughness was before he left. And as a life long 49er fan, I REALLY appreciate his contribution.
    I'm DocCrimson and I approve this message... I absolutely agree, the disagreement was based on his style of play. I don't believe he was extremely talented. He was definitely talented, but not like a Ray Lewis or even a Brian Urlacher. But Singletary knew exactly what he was doing on every play, and exactly what his teammates were supposed to do. That doesn't always translate into a great HC, but I still think he's probably a heck of a coach in a mentoring situation. HC's can't be true mentors to most players, often even at their position of expertise. Too many demands.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Greg McElroy for sure.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

McElroy may have his sights set a little higher, like Senator, Governor, or Fortune 500 CEO. Wouldn't be surprised to see him do all three and coach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I also don't think he was the greatest fit for the NFL. But then again, I didn't think Harbaugh would be a great NFL fit either. Both are too discipline oriented for most NFL guys. And I do think Harbaugh is benefiting from what Singletary brought to the organization. It was kind of the perfect storm for the 49ers. With his discipline, drive and toughness, I think Singletary would be a heck of a college coach and I really hope to see him get another shot.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.