Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: No link: But Scarbinsky is reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    From Steve Shaw: "This was an interception return ... If (Murray) moved to participate in the play, he's a defender."
    It's amazing that he is just now realizing this. On the monday after the game, he came out saying that it was "missed call" since Murray was a defenseless player.

Seems like he would want to get his story straight before going off half cocked and throwing fuel on the fire. Have to wonder if he made his original knee-jerk comment just to placate Brando & Barnhart - kind of like when Leslie Nielson was an umpire in Naked Gun.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; December 14th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

It's not an argument about whether it should have been a penalty. The SEC has said it should have been. However, it's not a suspension-worthy event as he became a defender. If Dial had been an O-lineman downfield on a screen play, they could have thrown a flag there too, but there wouldn't have been a hullaballoo about a suspension. The fact that he was 10 yards away doesn't matter... he moved towards the ball carrier and therefore was a potential threat and could reasonably be blocked. However, the helmet to helmet hit could technically have been called a penalty - just not a suspension because he wasn't a defenseless player... just a clueless one.

He should not be suspended. If you can't block the QB on an interception return then the QB should not be allowed to make the tackle.
    Bama 879-315-44 72.7% On the field

24 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

I love it that the nation as a whole things Alabama players are too violent.
    BS 1989

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    He should not be suspended. If you can't block the QB on an interception return then the QB should not be allowed to make the tackle.
    Amen!

I know it's tough finding material to write about this week, but I pray someday Scarbinsky will decide to analyze some facet of an upcoming football game that requires two brain cells.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Gee, I love the notion that this is entirely because we need Dial to win the national championship. If it was McCarron that might be a valid accusation.

Everyone prepare yourselves - when we win now THIS will be the excuse added to the list of Colt McCoy and "shouldn't have even been in the game."

Unless, of course, Teo gets hurt on the first series.

(I have yet to see an article from a non-Alabama source pointing out we lost our best receiver on the second punt return of the LSU game last year - on a play where the injury might have cost us a touchdown).
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Thank you, officials, for reviewing the play in the context of the rules instead of the context of uninformed partisan outrage.
    Or listening to Tim Brando.

BamaNation First Team BamaFanInTally's Avatar

Hopefully Tim Brando will have a meltdown concerning this decision.

The ONLY lesson that should be learned from this issue is for the QB to not act as a defender. When you do, bad things can and will happen to you. There is a reason you are a QB and not a LB.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Dial did nothing wrong so why would he be facing suspension? Murray was moving towards the play and when hit by Dial was not far from the play at all. Watch the t.v. replay, you can see Murray get flattened right before the play goes out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    It's not an argument about whether it should have been a penalty. The SEC has said it should have been. However, it's not a suspension-worthy event as he became a defender. If Dial had been an O-lineman downfield on a screen play, they could have thrown a flag there too, but there wouldn't have been a hullaballoo about a suspension. The fact that he was 10 yards away doesn't matter... he moved towards the ball carrier and therefore was a potential threat and could reasonably be blocked. However, the helmet to helmet hit could technically have been called a penalty - just not a suspension because he wasn't a defenseless player... just a clueless one.
    I'm not sure this part is still valid. Shaw's offhand remark, when parsed, makes it clear that they hadn't broken down the play, so it was just that - an offhand remark. Presumably, they've now broken it down, since the release says that they're satisfied with the way the schools have handled it internally. They official release makes no mention that it was a missed penalty, and I think there's a good reason for that. If the SEC still felt - after breaking down the play - that there was a penalty deserved, but not suspension, I think it would have said so. So, at the very most, the question of whether or not it deserved a flag is very much up in the air...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'm not sure this part is still valid. Shaw's offhand remark, when parsed, makes it clear that they hadn't broken down the play, so it was just that - an offhand remark. Presumably, they've now broken it down, since the release says that they're satisfied with the way the schools have handled it internally. They official release makes no mention that it was a missed penalty, and I think there's a good reason for that. If the SEC still felt - after breaking down the play - that there was a penalty deserved, but not suspension, I think it would have said so. So, at the very most, the question of whether or not it deserved a flag is very much up in the air...
    Here are some tweets by Scarbinsky from the interview:

Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: Several SEC Ch plays rose to the level of a conference review. Rather not go into all the plays. Just a few.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: That is absolutely not the case (that the SEC office favors Alabama in these rulings.)
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: Dial hit should've been a personal foul. We missed the call. But different from hits that resulted in suspension.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: Looked at Dial hit frame by frame. Looked at it more than any other play this year.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: Dial hit different in part because Murray was a defender on the play. It was an INT return.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: One key for suspension is having a true defenseless player.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: 2 aspects we drill officials on. Defenseless player targeted above shoulders. And lowering the head to hit.
    Steve Shaw on Smashmouth: Ala and Georgia both took disciplinary action with their players based on plays from the SEC Championship Game.
    And the audio to the interview:

Link

Scarbinsky retweeted this, too. Interesting:

@marcweiszer
    Georgia will issue statement today on SEC ruling, according to AD Greg McGarity. Mark Richt would address anything to do with players.
    Last edited by RTR91; December 14th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post

Fair enough. I could have sworn that I'd seen several comments in articles stating that the SEC had said it should have been a penalty. I would have been disappointed if he'd been flagged, but could have lived with it as a decision given the helmet-to-helmet contact. But I was most assuredly yelling at my TV when they were complaining that it was an inappropriate hit. My read on it was that he left his helmet too far forward, but was actually charging with his shoulder, but when AM turned his head, it resulted in helmet-to-helmet contact. I've seen that called many times, but I've also seen it missed (or intentionally not called) plenty of times as well. I was just saying that the real issue regarding the media has to do with a terrible interpretation of when someone should be suspended. Dial clearly wanted to get a free shot on the QB, but it was well within the rules to block him. The helmet-to-helmet hit in that situation would never have resulted in demands for a suspension in the example I gave.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Here are some tweets by Scarbinsky from the interview:

And the audio to the interview:

Link
    Thank button disappeared, so... Thanks!