Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

You've really done about everything they can do. Painkillers, and, if you can get him to, stay away from bright lights and brain stimulation seem to help, although that's not without controversy. Guys are hard to manage. I'm not going to even ask how his head hit the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Craxycat View Post
    Hubby hit the ground really hard yesterday (he said he didn't remember seeing the ground, but thought he landed on his head it hurt so bad). IDK if he was trying to be hard or what, but he had a pretty good migraine last night, and tonight he just took some Motrin/Tylenol combo. I don't think going to a Military dr. will do much for him (I don't always have a good opinion ). I'll prob. make him go anyway if his headaches don't go away by tomorrow (ER's are the suxors but I'll at least be more comfortable. I don't like waiting w/ head injuries, but he is a typical Male it would seem.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Yep. That became a slippery slope. Look where I am now...
    Haha. Yeah but your the best!!

:-)

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craxycat View Post
    Hubby hit the ground really hard yesterday (he said he didn't remember seeing the ground, but thought he landed on his head it hurt so bad). IDK if he was trying to be hard or what, but he had a pretty good migraine last night, and tonight he just took some Motrin/Tylenol combo. I don't think going to a Military dr. will do much for him (I don't always have a good opinion ). I'll prob. make him go anyway if his headaches don't go away by tomorrow (ER's are the suxors but I'll at least be more comfortable. I don't like waiting w/ head injuries, but he is a typical Male it would seem.
    As a doc for the department of Veteran's Affairs, I'm not sure whether I should be offended. ;-) I hope he's feeling better shortly, either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    As a doc for the department of Veteran's Affairs, I'm not sure whether I should be offended. ;-) I hope he's feeling better shortly, either way.
    I said 'I don't always' don't mean there aren't a whole slew of good ones (just like in the civilian world) I just had a horrible experience at Lewis and here, and my gramps is a three war vet and that adds to my opinion too I guess.
    Earl he was 'jumping' out of a 'perfectly good airplane' as my mom is fond of saying. Thanks for the info I figured it was about all anyone could do...*growls* he DROVE home! Who does that instead of going to the ER w/ medics. *sigh* I'd be angrier if it wasn't so 'like him', if he gets a cold it is drug induced NyQuil coma, but if he hits his head 'eh' its just his head. Like ya said hard to deal with

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Preston Dial done graduated.
    Typo lol...I'm sure you know who I was referring to.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/in...rbinsky_6.html

I expected this from Scab. No surprise. It was obvious he was hot to get the SEC's decision on Dial out yesterday. Now that the boogs' season is over, it's pick on Bama time again. Funny, I don't remember his raising any issues re: scam's one day suspension and eligibility, aubrun's team's academic eligibility issues, etc., etc., etc. two years ago before they played in the BCSCG. I guess the poor guy's got to find something to write about and act important with the game still three weeks away. It's funny how he can't differentiate between a defenseless receiver and a DA QB who isn't smart enough to realize that he's now a defender after throwing an interception and might actually get blocked. If this wasn't UGA with the Atlanta press backing them up and instead was some other SEC East team, would it be getting this much attention? Where's his condemnation of the eye gouge and it's 'explanation'? Too bad Scab's not important enough to write for the AJC. He's really a joke. End of rant.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It's easy to "square" the SEC's ruling: Dial led with his shoulder but had some helmet contact. It should have been flagged because almost all helmet contact is being called now. He didn't lead with his helmet as to target the opponent's helmet, therefore he didn't get suspended. The rule of thumb: helmet-to-helmet contact is flagged, targeting with the helmet gets suspended.

Players have been suspended without a flag being thrown because the SEC office determined it was a targeted hit by the player. The SEC hasn't simply suspended players for games because a flag was missed on the field. The line of argument by the media folks is ridiculously punitive. Suspensions aren't handed out to fix the officiating's mistakes, they are handed out to punish those who recklessly targeted with their helmet.
    Last edited by rgw; December 15th, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    It's easy to "square" the SEC's ruling: Dial led with his shoulder but had some helmet contact. It should have been flagged because almost all helmet contact is being called now. He didn't lead with his helmet as to target the opponent's helmet, therefore he didn't get suspended. The rule of thumb: helmet-to-helmet contact is flagged, targeting with the helmet gets suspended.

Players have been suspended without a flag being thrown because the SEC office determined it was a targeted hit by the player. The SEC hasn't simply suspended players for games because a flag was missed on the field. The line of argument by the media folks is ridiculously punitive. Suspensions aren't handed out to fix the officiating's mistakes, they are handed out to punish those who recklessly targeted with their helmet.
    In a radio interview, Shaw said that helmet to helmet, per se, was not even penalized, since it occurs on 70-80% of all plays. As you said, he repeated that targeting with the helmet or even the shoulder above the shoulder, i.e., neck, head, was penalized and could lead to suspension...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Scarbinsky did get one thing right in that column:

Shaw maintained that the nature of the two plays was very different, and he’s right. Elston was a defensive player taking down a potential receiver. Dial was a blocker wiping out a potential tackler.

That leads to a key question that figures into the decision to suspend a player. What exactly is a defenseless player?

Best I can tell, if you’re an offensive player going for the ball and you get hammered, there’s a chance you’ll be labeled defenseless. If you’re a defensive player going to the ball - and Murray became a defender when his pass was picked off - you have almost no chance.
    To the Tim Brando, Tony Barnhart, Gary Danielson and Jeff Schultz types out there: When was the last time an offensive player was suspended for delivering a BOOM hit on a defender? I'll hang up and listen.

“Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post

To the Tim Brando, Tony Barnhart, Gary Danielson and Jeff Schultz types out there: When was the last time an offensive player was suspended for delivering a BOOM hit on a defender? I'll hang up and listen.

Yes, on second reading after seeing your comments on IBCR, I agree he gets that part right and he's not as one-sided as I initially thought. But he still seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth and doesn't seem to project a clear cut stance. In other words he doesn't seem to defuse the issue very much and still leaves it out there for the Brandos of the world to make havoc, I think. Which they will do anyway. I'd just like to see one 'independent' mouthpiece like Scab come out and clearly defend why Dial shouldn't be suspended.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by 1958againbear; December 16th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

BamaNation First Team Tider n LA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Aaron Murray's own stupidity(for a few seconds)caused all of this discussion. Go figure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Blind hog. Acorn.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'm not sure this part is still valid. Shaw's offhand remark, when parsed, makes it clear that they hadn't broken down the play, so it was just that - an offhand remark. Presumably, they've now broken it down, since the release says that they're satisfied with the way the schools have handled it internally. They official release makes no mention that it was a missed penalty, and I think there's a good reason for that. If the SEC still felt - after breaking down the play - that there was a penalty deserved, but not suspension, I think it would have said so. So, at the very most, the question of whether or not it deserved a flag is very much up in the air...
    He was on just now and he was very direct saying it was a penalty, it was "unfortunate", and that it was missed.