Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Has Aaron Murray himself even complained at all? I don't recall seeing anything, and many times that's the most telling point.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Haha. I wouldn't doubt it. Even with severe concussions like that, people often regain full function. And I would bet that those headaches were at their peak soon after the concussions and gradually resolved. The problem is that with subsequent concussions there's increased risk that the residual symptoms will linger longer, and possibly never remit. When you're looking at football, probably most NFL players have probably sustained some degree of brain injury, whether they realize it or not. Even briefly seeing an aura or being "dazed" for a few seconds often means you've technically had a concussion.
My other concussions were snow skiing and were separated by years. I knew the symptoms well enough that I knew I was concussed. Interestingly, the one that happened in Switzerland, my wife was skiing with a different group until lunch. She took one look at me and said "What's wrong with you?" I said "Do you have any Advil?"

Last edited:

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
If I told you my IQ you wouldn't believe me. Memory? I've been fluent in more than one language for many years, and read a number, but I did manage to learn conversational Norwegian at 68. (I'm 73 now, or will be Sunday). :D With the first concussion, I didn't regain full consciousness until the next day. The other three were milder, with my only being dazed (and with enormous headaches)...
I would suggest doing what the wifie says from now on :)

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I am sure that every Linebacker that has been cracked back on in the SEC is asking Steve Shaw about penalties on players delivering a block to a defenseless player! Or every running back or wide receiver catching a ball out in the flat to only turn up field and having a knee taken out by a DB going low!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I've said throughout our discussions that I felt it was a helmet to helmet but that I didn't feel it was intentional on Dial's part and that I didn't think he should be suspended.

I'm glad the league ruled as they did and will say that if the league ruled it was within legal boundaries then that's the way it is.

Steve Shaw is someone who I've respected and trust his judgement..

Glad Preston get's to represent the Tide on January 8th!

sip

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I've said throughout our discussions that I felt it was a helmet to helmet but that I didn't feel it was intentional on Dial's part and that I didn't think he should be suspended.

I'm glad the league ruled as they did and will say that if the league ruled it was within legal boundaries then that's the way it is.

Steve Shaw is someone who I've respected and trust his judgement..

Glad Preston get's to represent the Tide on January 8th!

sip
Preston Dial done graduated.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
My other concussions were snow skiing and were separated by years. I knew the symptoms well enough that I knew I was concussed. Interestingly, the one that happened in Switzerland, my wife was skiing with a different group until lunch. She took one look at me and said "What's wrong with you?" I said "Do you have any Advil?"
Hubby hit the ground really hard yesterday (he said he didn't remember seeing the ground, but thought he landed on his head it hurt so bad). IDK if he was trying to be hard or what, but he had a pretty good migraine last night, and tonight he just took some Motrin/Tylenol combo. I don't think going to a Military dr. will do much for him (I don't always have a good opinion ;) ). I'll prob. make him go anyway if his headaches don't go away by tomorrow (ER's are the suxors but I'll at least be more comfortable. I don't like waiting w/ head injuries, but he is a typical Male it would seem. ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You've really done about everything they can do. Painkillers, and, if you can get him to, stay away from bright lights and brain stimulation seem to help, although that's not without controversy. Guys are hard to manage. I'm not going to even ask how his head hit the ground... :D

Hubby hit the ground really hard yesterday (he said he didn't remember seeing the ground, but thought he landed on his head it hurt so bad). IDK if he was trying to be hard or what, but he had a pretty good migraine last night, and tonight he just took some Motrin/Tylenol combo. I don't think going to a Military dr. will do much for him (I don't always have a good opinion ;) ). I'll prob. make him go anyway if his headaches don't go away by tomorrow (ER's are the suxors but I'll at least be more comfortable. I don't like waiting w/ head injuries, but he is a typical Male it would seem. ;)

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
As a doc for the department of Veteran's Affairs, I'm not sure whether I should be offended. ;-) I hope he's feeling better shortly, either way.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
As a doc for the department of Veteran's Affairs, I'm not sure whether I should be offended. ;-) I hope he's feeling better shortly, either way.
I said 'I don't always' ;) don't mean there aren't a whole slew of good ones (just like in the civilian world) I just had a horrible experience at Lewis and here, and my gramps is a three war vet and that adds to my opinion too I guess.
Earl he was 'jumping' out of a 'perfectly good airplane' as my mom is fond of saying. Thanks for the info I figured it was about all anyone could do...*growls* he DROVE home! Who does that instead of going to the ER w/ medics. *sigh* I'd be angrier if it wasn't so 'like him', if he gets a cold it is drug induced NyQuil coma, but if he hits his head 'eh' its just his head. Like ya said hard to deal with ;)

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/12/scarbinsky_6.html

I expected this from Scab. No surprise. It was obvious he was hot to get the SEC's decision on Dial out yesterday. Now that the boogs' season is over, it's pick on Bama time again. Funny, I don't remember his raising any issues re: scam's one day suspension and eligibility, aubrun's team's academic eligibility issues, etc., etc., etc. two years ago before they played in the BCSCG. I guess the poor guy's got to find something to write about and act important with the game still three weeks away. It's funny how he can't differentiate between a defenseless receiver and a DA QB who isn't smart enough to realize that he's now a defender after throwing an interception and might actually get blocked. If this wasn't UGA with the Atlanta press backing them up and instead was some other SEC East team, would it be getting this much attention? Where's his condemnation of the eye gouge and it's 'explanation'? Too bad Scab's not important enough to write for the AJC. He's really a joke. End of rant.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's easy to "square" the SEC's ruling: Dial led with his shoulder but had some helmet contact. It should have been flagged because almost all helmet contact is being called now. He didn't lead with his helmet as to target the opponent's helmet, therefore he didn't get suspended. The rule of thumb: helmet-to-helmet contact is flagged, targeting with the helmet gets suspended.

Players have been suspended without a flag being thrown because the SEC office determined it was a targeted hit by the player. The SEC hasn't simply suspended players for games because a flag was missed on the field. The line of argument by the media folks is ridiculously punitive. Suspensions aren't handed out to fix the officiating's mistakes, they are handed out to punish those who recklessly targeted with their helmet.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's easy to "square" the SEC's ruling: Dial led with his shoulder but had some helmet contact. It should have been flagged because almost all helmet contact is being called now. He didn't lead with his helmet as to target the opponent's helmet, therefore he didn't get suspended. The rule of thumb: helmet-to-helmet contact is flagged, targeting with the helmet gets suspended.

Players have been suspended without a flag being thrown because the SEC office determined it was a targeted hit by the player. The SEC hasn't simply suspended players for games because a flag was missed on the field. The line of argument by the media folks is ridiculously punitive. Suspensions aren't handed out to fix the officiating's mistakes, they are handed out to punish those who recklessly targeted with their helmet.
In a radio interview, Shaw said that helmet to helmet, per se, was not even penalized, since it occurs on 70-80% of all plays. As you said, he repeated that targeting with the helmet or even the shoulder above the shoulder, i.e., neck, head, was penalized and could lead to suspension...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
Scarbinsky did get one thing right in that column:

Shaw maintained that the nature of the two plays was very different, and he’s right. Elston was a defensive player taking down a potential receiver. Dial was a blocker wiping out a potential tackler.

That leads to a key question that figures into the decision to suspend a player. What exactly is a defenseless player?

Best I can tell, if you’re an offensive player going for the ball and you get hammered, there’s a chance you’ll be labeled defenseless. If you’re a defensive player going to the ball - and Murray became a defender when his pass was picked off - you have almost no chance.
To the Tim Brando, Tony Barnhart, Gary Danielson and Jeff Schultz types out there: When was the last time an offensive player was suspended for delivering a BOOM hit on a defender? I'll hang up and listen.

:cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.