Scarbinsky reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

Status
Not open for further replies.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Scarbinsky did get one thing right in that column:

To the Tim Brando, Tony Barnhart, Gary Danielson and Jeff Schultz types out there: When was the last time an offensive player was suspended for delivering a BOOM hit on a defender? I'll hang up and listen.

:cool2:
Yes, on second reading after seeing your comments on IBCR, I agree he gets that part right and he's not as one-sided as I initially thought. But he still seems to be talking out of both sides of his mouth and doesn't seem to project a clear cut stance. In other words he doesn't seem to defuse the issue very much and still leaves it out there for the Brandos of the world to make havoc, I think. Which they will do anyway. I'd just like to see one 'independent' mouthpiece like Scab come out and clearly defend why Dial shouldn't be suspended.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure this part is still valid. Shaw's offhand remark, when parsed, makes it clear that they hadn't broken down the play, so it was just that - an offhand remark. Presumably, they've now broken it down, since the release says that they're satisfied with the way the schools have handled it internally. They official release makes no mention that it was a missed penalty, and I think there's a good reason for that. If the SEC still felt - after breaking down the play - that there was a penalty deserved, but not suspension, I think it would have said so. So, at the very most, the question of whether or not it deserved a flag is very much up in the air...
He was on just now and he was very direct saying it was a penalty, it was "unfortunate", and that it was missed.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Other than asserting it was a penalty, has he ever explained why it is a penalty? Dial could hit him because he was a defender, but he should have hit him less hard?
I think they believe a flag should have been thrown because Dial is just a big meanie for decleating a smaller player who wasn't paying attention to the fact that he was on a football field. As CNS says, "It is what is" now onward to Miami :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If we're going to wish for NFL rules, can I have the one which places the ball on the two for EZ PI? Made me mad as hell to see that DB grinning from ear to ear for tackling Norwood in the EZ. He wouldn't have been grinning, if the ball had ended up on the goal line...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If we're going to wish for NFL rules, can I have the one which places the ball on the two for EZ PI? Made me mad as hell to see that DB grinning from ear to ear for tackling Norwood in the EZ. He wouldn't have been grinning, if the ball had ended up on the goal line...
I never understood in the era of "offense is king" why we haven't gone back to the old interference rules completely. I never really understood the concept of rewarding a DB for getting burned 40 yards downfield by only penalizing them 15 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
In theory, that sounds like a good idea. But, just wait until there is a bogus pass interference flag that results in a 50 yard step off. At least when they screw up and call it now, it's only a 15 yarder and a first down. That is still a big deal, but a missed call when the NFL rule is in place is monumental.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: No link: But Scarbinsky is reporting that the SEC is not going to suspend Dial..

That is great news. If the refs didn't bother to throw a flag in the SECG, than why even entertain the idea if suspending him for the BCSNCG??? It's just stupid.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Tide won't sit DE Quinton Dial

http://espn.go.com/college-football...abama-crimson-tide-quinton-dial-miss-time-hit

Updated: January 5, 2013, 12:29 PM ET
By Brett McMurphy | ESPN

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Alabama senior defensive end Quinton Dial will not miss any playing time Monday for his hit on Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray in last month's SEC title game.

No. 2 Alabama faces No. 1 Notre Dame in Monday's Discover BCS National Championship game.

An Alabama official told ESPN Saturday that Dial's situation had been "handled internally."

Against Georgia, Dial leveled Murray after the signal-caller threw an interception. The SEC reviewed the play, did not suspend Dial and said any punishment would be up to Alabama.

"I was just looking for someone to block," Dial said Saturday. "I am very relieved to play in the game since it's my last college football game."

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Re: Tide won't sit DE Quinton Dial

ESPN is running out of things to talk about. Just let it go and let Dail enjoy his last college game. RTR

bfg3rd

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2005
In other breaking news, the sun came up this morning and the world didn't end on 12/21/12. It's unreal how blown out of proportion Dial's BLOCK was. Good grief I'm ready for Monday night.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Obviously, it is a big deal. ESPN runs it through their crawler every couple of minutes. Why keep bringing this up? It's not like QD hit Aaron Murray in the parking lot after the game. It was no different than any other football play. will ND suspend the players accused of rape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.