Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

The headache of recruiting rankings

I swear, just when you have it all figured out.

So, I normally use 247sports, but after the latest commitment I was curious to see where we stood on the other sites.

So, I start looking, and geez my head hurts.

Rivals - #1 Ranking. 2 5*, 12 4*, 6 3*. Avg: 3.80
    Scout - #9 Ranking. 5 5*, 7 4*, 7 3*, 1 2*. Avg 3.80 (including 10 of their Top 100)
    247 Composite - #2 Ranking. 4 5*, 8 4*, 8 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.9
    247 - #1 Ranking. 4 5*, 12 4*, 3 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.95

FYI - the 2 star player is Cole Mazza. He is a long snapper, and rated a 3* prospect on Rivals.

I'm debating going through and finding which players, if ANY, actually have the same ranking across all the sites.
    Honey Badger can take what the Tide gives him and like it.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: The headache of recruiting rankings

i prefer ESPN myself

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Scout is a bit weird about it sometimes. They like their top rated players a little too much, and they also like quantity.

It's a bit of a head scratcher as Scout has Ohio State ahead with Alabama with a .04 star average higher. But, they have one less commit. On the other hand, LSU is ahead with two more commits and a 3.68 average. It's puzzling.

The top 9 are well ahead of the pack. Alabama is 600 points ahead of #10. That's greater than the distance between #9 and #3 on their rankings. You can't worry about it too much, especially until all the ink is dry.

Recruiting rankings are pretty meaningless to me. Just look at the NFL Draft. I think way more time and energy goes into that than looking at video tape of a bunch of high school kids, and there are tons of busts every year.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    i prefer ESPN myself
    I prefer the CNS rankings. Top five in recruiting AND top five in on-the-field rankings.

Suspended

[QUOTE=skrayper77;2069595]I swear, just when you have it all figured out.

So, I normally use 247sports, but after the latest commitment I was curious to see where we stood on the other sites.

So, I start looking, and geez my head hurts.

Rivals - #1 Ranking. 2 5*, 12 4*, 6 3*. Avg: 3.80
    Scout - #9 Ranking. 5 5*, 7 4*, 7 3*, 1 2*. Avg 3.80 (including 10 of their Top 100)
    247 Composite - #2 Ranking. 4 5*, 8 4*, 8 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.9
    247 - #1 Ranking. 4 5*, 12 4*, 3 3*, 1 2* Avg 3.95

FYI - the 2 star player is Cole Mazza. He is a long snapper, and rated a 3* prospect on Rivals.

I'm debating going through and finding which players, if ANY, actually have the same ranking across all the sites

I have no problem with any of them even Scout with Bama having only 12 4 or 5 stars with the teams ahead of us having more - football is a 44 player 2 deep sport

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If they all had the same rankings then what would be the point for more than one to exist? Scouts (not the website) have differing opinions on guys but it is a good way to see what a player is like by the aggregate. Of course, scouts aren't really looking at scheme fit. Dareus was only a 3-star by most of the services but he was the most ideal end for a 3-4 defense we've ever recruited.

Those who hope to get "facts" about how recruits rank as prospects are going to be disappointed.

If NFL teams, which spend untold time and money scouting players with a much better body of work to judge from, bust on so many of their evaluations, then a handful of prep scouting services don't have much hope of being exact with their evaluations.

BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Coach Saban is such a good talent and character evaluator and that is enough for me. Some high rated players end up being busts and vice versa. I trust coach.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Schools like Alabama have an advantage - they get to evaluate most of the players that they offer in clinics run at their university. Their player analysis is much more reliable than that available from recruiting services. But I have always wondered - do coaches share the results of their analysis with other coaches? Is this data closely held?

BamaNation All-American Tide Warrior's Avatar

I showed a t stat last year and will again this year. But ESPN for an example. Players that are going to play in the Under Armor All Star game(sponsored by ESPN) will be ranked higher in the ESPN. Players playing the Army game(sponsered by Rivals) will be ranked higher in Rivals. Scout may do the same now since they sponsor the Semper Fi game. 247 seems to be the least unbiased since they have no dog in any fight regarding all star games.
    "Charlie Don't Surf"

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

by offering a kid, you kind of give your data away.
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Schools like Alabama have an advantage - they get to evaluate most of the players that they offer in clinics run at their university. Their player analysis is much more reliable than that available from recruiting services. But I have always wondered - do coaches share the results of their analysis with other coaches? Is this data closely held?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think if a coach like Saban (or another at Bama's level) sees a guy that just isn't SEC caliber, he might drop a note to a buddy at a non-BCS school to help him out.

I think the recruiting ratings are so subjective its hard to know what to think. The levels of competition vary so widely in high school, numbers are hard to compare.