Gun Control Thread -- (Pros and Cons) -- Aftermath of Connecticut Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nope, didn't say it never happens, I was careful to say "shotguns dont seem to attract the nuts so much". Crazies seem to be attracted to 'assault style' guns when they are looking to assault people.
Well, that's incorrect - a majority of mass killing have been carried out via the handgun.

More folks have been murdered with shotguns in mass killings than with 'evil black rifles'...

If we're going to discuss this, we need facts, not emotional knee-jerk responses.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Of the 10 deadliest shootings in US history Newtown was the only one where the shooter used a semi auto rifle.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well maybe there have been more than 10 since then :rolleyes: but a quick internet search turned up a Smith & Wesson M&P15 being used in Aurora.
He started with a shotgun, then switched to the AR, and when his 100 round drum made his AR misfire, he switched to a pistol.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Three of CrimsonAudio's links list semi-automatic long guns used in the massacre. 9mm carbine, Uzi and another. You sure only one used a semi auto rifle?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Three of CrimsonAudio's links list semi-automatic long guns used in the massacre. 9mm carbine, Uzi and another. You sure only one used a semi auto rifle?
He said 10 deadliest, I've not searched the data to confirm it, but I'd bet it's correct.

My linke were highlighting the fact that shotguns are 'popular' mass shooting firearms, just as handguns are. Handguns are far more popular and I suspect if one were inclined to research it they'd find that 'evil black rifles' were used in a smallish percentage of mass killings.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

You need to familiarize yourself with the CDC mission...guns are clearly a disease [rolls eyes]:

Collaborating to create the expertise, information, and tools that people and communities need to protect their health – through health promotion, prevention of disease, injury and disability, and preparedness for new health threats.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I am confused by your post.
1. "long guns" include rifles.
2. an uzi is not a long gun.

sooooo... what in the sam hell are you talking about?

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
The thing about Alex Jones is he goes to such extremes. I think in this "debate" he is correct, but I also wish he would have debated more instead of just blowing up and overtalking Piers.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He said 10 deadliest, I've not searched the data to confirm it, but I'd bet it's correct.

My linke were highlighting the fact that shotguns are 'popular' mass shooting firearms, just as handguns are. Handguns are far more popular and I suspect if one were inclined to research it they'd find that 'evil black rifles' were used in a smallish percentage of mass killings.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Well maybe there have been more than 10 since then :rolleyes: but a quick internet search turned up a Smith & Wesson M&P15 being used in Aurora.
I was wrong. The shooters in Aurora and Colorado used semi auto rifles.

1. Va Tech - shooter used a Glock 19 (pistol) and Walther P22 (pistol)
2. Luby's in Kileen, TX - Glock 17 (pistol) and Ruger P89 (pistol)
3. San Ysidro McDonalds - Uzi, Winchester 12 gauge shotgun, and Browning HP (pistol)
4. University of Texas - rifle
5. Edmond, Ok Post Office - Two 1911's (pistols) and Ruger .22lr (pistol)
6. Columbine - we all know the guns used
7. Immigration Center Binghamton, NY - Baretta 9mm (pistol) and Barreta .45 (pistol)
8. Fort Hood - FN Five-Seven (pistol that shoots rifle rounds) and Smith & Wesson .357 revolver
9. 1949 Camden NJ - Luger P08 (pistol)
10. Aurora - M&P 15 ("assault rifle"), 2 Glock 22 (pistols), and Winchester pump action shotgun.

This list was complied before Newton.

Sorry for the typos. Helping the intern prep his first 1040.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
On the whole magazine capacity thing, which I think is the most likely legislation to pass as a kind of bone to throw to calm the hysterics, the Virginia tech shooter killed 32 people with two pistols with 10 and 15 round magazines. So I am not exactly sure what the reasoning is behind a "10 round" limit on magazine capacity. How was that number arrived at? When someone is shooting up unarmed people it really doesn't matter if they take a 5sec timeout to change mags before they resume shooting. As a second point, and using the VT shooting as an example again, when someone is committing a mass murder you call the cops so that you can get guns on the scene. At VT the cops responded within 5min to the 911 call, which I think is pretty darn fast. It still didn't help. Why is it so scary to allow concealed carry in "gun free zones" (and I am pretty sure not one single concealed carry permit holder has shot up innocent people) but not to allow cops or armed guards run around.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On the whole magazine capacity thing, which I think is the most likely legislation to pass as a kind of bone to throw to calm the hysterics, the Virginia tech shooter killed 32 people with two pistols with 10 and 15 round magazines. So I am not exactly sure what the reasoning is behind a "10 round" limit on magazine capacity.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
On the whole magazine capacity thing, which I think is the most likely legislation to pass as a kind of bone to throw to calm the hysterics, the Virginia tech shooter killed 32 people with two pistols with 10 and 15 round magazines. So I am not exactly sure what the reasoning is behind a "10 round" limit on magazine capacity. How was that number arrived at? When someone is shooting up unarmed people it really doesn't matter if they take a 5sec timeout to change mags before they resume shooting. As a second point, and using the VT shooting as an example again, when someone is committing a mass murder you call the cops so that you can get guns on the scene. At VT the cops responded within 5min to the 911 call, which I think is pretty darn fast. It still didn't help. Why is it so scary to allow concealed carry in "gun free zones" (and I am pretty sure not one single concealed carry permit holder has shot up innocent people) but not to allow cops or armed guards run around.
Loughner stopped to reload, but dropped the loaded magazine from his pocket to the sidewalk, from where bystander Patricia Maisch grabbed it.[27] Another bystander clubbed the back of the assailant's head with a folding chair, injuring his elbow in the process, representing the 14th injury.[28] The gunman was tackled to the ground by 74-year-old retired US Army Colonel Bill Badger,[29] who had been shot himself, and was further subdued by Maisch and bystanders Roger Sulzgeber and Joseph Zamudio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Tucson_shooting

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
So you are banking on the guy dropping the magazine. Sounds like a pretty solid self-defense policy.

somehow I don't think that is the actual reasoning behind a capacity limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.