Link: Elite 11 2013 CO QB Luke Del Rio to Walk-On at Alabama

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I'm sorry. I disagree, but that is ok. I've never heard of a person having to sit out 2 years because he is an invited walk-on. He won't be counted toward our 25 scholarship offers, but will still have to make the 85 limit cut. Most kickers and punters don't receive scholarships yet are eligible to play their freshmen years. Most of them are invited walk-ons.

I think Luke will surprise some people. We will be loaded at QB. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some Qb's transfer or decommit in the next few months/years. I like Parker, but he may start looking elsewhere.
The point is not that he must sit out before he can play. The point is that if he plays in the first two years he counts as a regular scholly. The entire point of him walking on versus us giving him a scholly is so he doesn't take up one of the 85 while learning behind AJ and the other qb's on our roster. If that weren't the plan then we might as well just give him the scholly now. Using saving the scholarship as the basis of the conversation he will need to sit for two or count towards the 85.

If we weren't trying to save a scholly here this would just be a normal commitment and we wouldn't be having this conversation. I think Earle was assuming everyone was looking at it from the stay below the limit angle.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: 2013 CO QB Luke Del Rio

I'm sorry. I disagree, but that is ok. I've never heard of a person having to sit out 2 years because he is an invited walk-on. He won't be counted toward our 25 scholarship offers, but will still have to make the 85 limit cut. Most kickers and punters don't receive scholarships yet are eligible to play their freshmen years. Most of them are invited walk-ons.

I think Luke will surprise some people. We will be loaded at QB. I have a feeling we'll be seeing some Qb's transfer or decommit in the next few months/years. I like Parker, but he may start looking elsewhere.
No, 91's correct. If he plays in the first two years, he does count against the 85 and he back-counts against this year's 25. With his dad's being Del Rio, I don't think there's much doubt that he knows exactly what "invited walkon" means. With AJ's staying, the two years fit perfectly. He would still have three years of eligibility left. Time has sort of cleaned out the possible candidates, but we used the Bryant scholarships this way. The scholarship is for descendants of anyone who played for him, and it's a general schollie, not just for FB players, so it didn't get counted as a FB schollie. However, those guys also had to sit out two years. Several of them were put on football schollies after the two years...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I read a yahoo article on Del Rio and the comments were hilarious. Most of the comments pretty much said he was stupid for paying to go somewhere when he could go somewhere else and get a chance to play. I guess they don't realize money isn't an issue for him and that maybe he wants to challenge himself to play on the highest level.

Also, maybe he wants to be a coach someday and who better to learn from.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I'm not really sure what the big debate, or worry is. The only person that should be concerned as I see it, is Parker. He's kind of caught between a very talented walk-on and Bateman.

As far as Del Rio goes, if he does play in the first two years then who cares about the impact on numbers? If he's the best candidate, then worrying about how that impacts numbers is a minor concern. You don't go oh wait, you're the best chance we have of winning but I don't like "losing" a scholarship.

If he has to wait two years to play? He'll be learning the whole time. The coordinator is good with QBs, he'll be around some of the best coaches and players in the nation. He'll be on campus with his sister. It's not like he'll be trapped in purgatory. And, like Phillip Sims if he can't get playing time and he wants to insure playing time, he'll have options there to. Having said that, I can think of one backup college QB that made it to the pros.

Basically though, Luke doesn't have any less of a chance of making it to the pros at Alabama than he does anywhere else. If he's good enough, he'll almost certainly get playing time at some point. He made a move that showed confidence and thinking ahead, ask Mitch Mustain how that early playing time worked out for him.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.

Having said that, I can think of one backup college QB that made it to the pros.
Matt Cassel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cassel
He became the Patriots' starting quarterback after Week 1 of the 2008 season after then reigning NFL MVP Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury. According to ESPN research, he is the only known quarterback in NFL history to start an NFL game at quarterback without ever starting at quarterback in college.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If he sees the field sometime in the next two years, we will have had some serious problems at the QB position.

GA_Tide

1st Team
Aug 24, 2006
Canton, Ga
Not sure of his NFL potential, but if he wants a career in coaching there is no better place than under CNS. His Dad clearly knows there is nowhere better to prepare for success in the future regardless of what path that is.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If he sees the field sometime in the next two years, we will have had some serious problems at the QB position.
Not necessarily, he may just turn out to be that good. Now unless AJ is injured or far less likely gets in Saban's doghouse he is our starter in '13. After that may the best man win.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.