Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

Re: ESPN will not use "Pistol Formation" term today

Thats going a little too far. (title of thread, not previous poster)

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

I'm sure the parents who will bury their children next week are relieved knowing some cable sports announcers are imposing a self ban on the word pistol.

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

It's very PC I mean really? Like the people affected are watching the New Mexico Bowl anyway (who actually is watching the NM Bowl for that fact).

My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    This is just another way to talk about it without talking about it.

But if the gun control folks (the only ones thus far talking out of both sides) want a dialogue, here it is:

1) Unless you are for repealing the Second Amendment, NOTHING would have stopped the killing yesterday.

2) If you don't want to own a firearm don't buy one.

3) Empty brains concoct empty gestures (insert the notion wearing a red ribbon stops AIDS)

Dialogue done.

I watch sports to escape from politics and real world - ESPN needs to stick to sports. A moment of silence or a prayer is a gesture of honor; subtly working in guns as the culprit is not honorable.

I watch for the same reasons. A temporary diversion from life. That is why I was disappointed when Bob Costas used Football night in America to air his anti gun views. Not what he said, but where he said it. This tragedy is unprecedented, so TV doesn't know what to do, but feel they should do something. I understand that, I have a queasy feeling in my stomach and aching in my heart that probably will not go away until I get a chance to hold my grandaughter to reassure my mind she is ok. This is not the way to pay tribute to those that senselessly lost their lives so young
    to 16 and beyond........

why is this thread on the football board.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    I watch for the same reasons. A temporary diversion from life. That is why I was disappointed when Bob Costas used Football night in America to air his anti gun views. Not what he said, but where he said it. This tragedy is unprecedented, so TV doesn't know what to do, but feel they should do something. I understand that, I have a queasy feeling in my stomach and aching in my heart that probably will not go away until I get a chance to hold my grandaughter to reassure my mind she is ok. This is not the way to pay tribute to those that senselessly lost their lives so young

the funny thing is, the same can be said about this thread being on the football board right now. plenty of discussion of this on the non-sports board for those who are interested.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    the funny thing is, the same can be said about this thread being on the football board right now. plenty of discussion of this on the non-sports board for those who are interested.
    It's on the football board because it's pertaining to a game that was played today. Admittedly, it has strayed off track and is probably headed in a NS direction, but the OP was on-topic.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation All-SEC KrimsonNinja's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

What about shot, shooting or shotgun formation? This is just ridiculous.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNinja View Post
    What about shot, shooting or shotgun formation? This is just ridiculous.
    I only watched for about 20 minutes, but I definitely heard someone say "pistol formation" in that time.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    I only watched for about 20 minutes, but I definitely heard someone say "pistol formation" in that time.
    Yes I heard them use it right away at halftime of the Smurf (blue field) Bowl.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

I guess it's a good thing there wasn't a play called the box cutter after 9/11.

We can do this with virtually anything. A person did a horrible act. This person was solely responsible for his act. When we make it about anything else, we are lessening the blame that deserves to lie solely with the individual.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueGritnPluck View Post
    I proffer that ESPN has drawn more attention to the incident by their decision.
    I agree 100%. I would have never linked the two if they hadn't brought it to our attention.

BamaNation All-American

My 85 year old dad calls shotgun or pistol a "short punt" formation.