ESPN will not use "Pistol Formation" term today

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I appreciate all ESPN is doing today to legitimately help the state of mental health issues and access to weapons for those at risk in this country. Surely not saying a word will help establish a genuine dialogue on improvement in these areas.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is just another way to talk about it without talking about it.

But if the gun control folks (the only ones thus far talking out of both sides) want a dialogue, here it is:

1) Unless you are for repealing the Second Amendment, NOTHING would have stopped the killing yesterday.

2) If you don't want to own a firearm don't buy one.

3) Empty brains concoct empty gestures (insert the notion wearing a red ribbon stops AIDS)

Dialogue done.

I watch sports to escape from politics and real world - ESPN needs to stick to sports. A moment of silence or a prayer is a gesture of honor; subtly working in guns as the culprit is not honorable.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Weapons control and legality is a sticky issue. On one hand, no weapons would theoretically prevent this but the reality can be seen in our prohibitions of alcohol in the past and hard drugs today. If people want something bad enough, a market will materialize for the desired product. A black market for weapons will emerge and they will give any kind of weapon they have to any kind of person who has money. I'd prefer a legitimately controlled market that can impede access to criminals and prevent ridiculously overpowered weaponry from reaching the masses.

The real issue is the identification of those with mental issues. Too many crazy people are freely moving as upstanding members of society and being given access to weapons as their right as an upstanding citizen instead of being helped and prevented from hurting others.

Last edited:

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'm sure the parents who will bury their children next week are relieved knowing some cable sports announcers are imposing a self ban on the word pistol.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
It's very PC I mean really? Like the people affected are watching the New Mexico Bowl anyway (who actually is watching the NM Bowl for that fact).

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
This is just another way to talk about it without talking about it.

But if the gun control folks (the only ones thus far talking out of both sides) want a dialogue, here it is:

1) Unless you are for repealing the Second Amendment, NOTHING would have stopped the killing yesterday.

2) If you don't want to own a firearm don't buy one.

3) Empty brains concoct empty gestures (insert the notion wearing a red ribbon stops AIDS)

Dialogue done.

I watch sports to escape from politics and real world - ESPN needs to stick to sports. A moment of silence or a prayer is a gesture of honor; subtly working in guns as the culprit is not honorable.

I watch for the same reasons. A temporary diversion from life. That is why I was disappointed when Bob Costas used Football night in America to air his anti gun views. Not what he said, but where he said it. This tragedy is unprecedented, so TV doesn't know what to do, but feel they should do something. I understand that, I have a queasy feeling in my stomach and aching in my heart that probably will not go away until I get a chance to hold my grandaughter to reassure my mind she is ok. This is not the way to pay tribute to those that senselessly lost their lives so young

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I watch for the same reasons. A temporary diversion from life. That is why I was disappointed when Bob Costas used Football night in America to air his anti gun views. Not what he said, but where he said it. This tragedy is unprecedented, so TV doesn't know what to do, but feel they should do something. I understand that, I have a queasy feeling in my stomach and aching in my heart that probably will not go away until I get a chance to hold my grandaughter to reassure my mind she is ok. This is not the way to pay tribute to those that senselessly lost their lives so young

the funny thing is, the same can be said about this thread being on the football board right now. plenty of discussion of this on the non-sports board for those who are interested.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
the funny thing is, the same can be said about this thread being on the football board right now. plenty of discussion of this on the non-sports board for those who are interested.
It's on the football board because it's pertaining to a game that was played today. Admittedly, it has strayed off track and is probably headed in a NS direction, but the OP was on-topic.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I guess it's a good thing there wasn't a play called the box cutter after 9/11.

We can do this with virtually anything. A person did a horrible act. This person was solely responsible for his act. When we make it about anything else, we are lessening the blame that deserves to lie solely with the individual.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.