BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

Bryant said that Nebraska team was the best football team he ever saw and they were really really good.

We dominated every team we played that year, upset Southern Cal in game one, and we were truly outstanding.

Still we weren't able to even compete with those guys.

But as far as programs, Coach Bryant's was every bit as good as it is today. We won three national titles in the 70's and were very close several more times.

sip

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

That Nebraska team was awesome! I remember the game but not the details. As I watched the video today, I had forgotten how hard hitting that game was...Musso and Davis going down with injuries. Looking back, if we could have passed the ball, we could have done better but I do not think it would have mattered. The Huskers that year were unstoppable with Rodgers, Kenney. Tagge and that defense led by Rich Glover. We could not block him all night. We were good but we just could not compete on the field with them that night

BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Bryant said that Nebraska team was the best football team he ever saw and they were really really good.

We dominated every team we played that year, upset Southern Cal in game one, and we were truly outstanding.

Still we weren't able to even compete with those guys.

But as far as programs, Coach Bryant's was every bit as good as it is today. We won three national titles in the 70's and were very close several more times.

sip
    Yeah, sorry, that wasn't my intent to be criticizing this team, I am just now glad that we are the more physical team with all the talent and can go against anyone in the country. One of our defensive tackles that year was 177 lbs. We were just out manned in this game and it was the National Title game.

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Yeah, sorry, that wasn't my intent to be criticizing this team, I am just now glad that we are the more physical team with all the talent and can go against anyone in the country. One of our defensive tackles that year was 177 lbs. We were just out manned in this game and it was the National Title game.
    I wouldn't admit it at the time but the NC game was Nebraska-Oklahoma. We were a really good team but the Big 8 was that much better than everybody else then, sort of like the SEC today. Still I thought that any team of Bear's couldn't lose an NC game and that we were all the way back. I was rudely awakened. The boogs with Sullivan/Beasley got blown away by OK in the Sugar. Nebraska Oklahoma Colorado went 1 2 3 in the final poll and deserved it no matter what I wanted to believe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think OU was the only team to even come close to beating Nebraska that yr in the 'game of the century'.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I think OU was the only team to even come close to beating Nebraska that yr in the 'game of the century'.
    Yep. Unfortunately it was that year's 'game of the century' and not our game with them in the OB.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2