Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi,Tx via Mobile, Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    361
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...


  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,648
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    Bryant said that Nebraska team was the best football team he ever saw and they were really really good.

    We dominated every team we played that year, upset Southern Cal in game one, and we were truly outstanding.

    Still we weren't able to even compete with those guys.

    But as far as programs, Coach Bryant's was every bit as good as it is today. We won three national titles in the 70's and were very close several more times.

    sip

  4. #3
    BamaNation All-SEC Tide Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Plantersville, MS
    Posts
    1,570
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    That Nebraska team was awesome! I remember the game but not the details. As I watched the video today, I had forgotten how hard hitting that game was...Musso and Davis going down with injuries. Looking back, if we could have passed the ball, we could have done better but I do not think it would have mattered. The Huskers that year were unstoppable with Rodgers, Kenney. Tagge and that defense led by Rich Glover. We could not block him all night. We were good but we just could not compete on the field with them that night

  5. #4
    BamaNation First Team tidegrandpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi,Tx via Mobile, Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    361
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    Bryant said that Nebraska team was the best football team he ever saw and they were really really good.

    We dominated every team we played that year, upset Southern Cal in game one, and we were truly outstanding.

    Still we weren't able to even compete with those guys.

    But as far as programs, Coach Bryant's was every bit as good as it is today. We won three national titles in the 70's and were very close several more times.

    sip
    Yeah, sorry, that wasn't my intent to be criticizing this team, I am just now glad that we are the more physical team with all the talent and can go against anyone in the country. One of our defensive tackles that year was 177 lbs. We were just out manned in this game and it was the National Title game.

  6. #5
    BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    694

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    Quote Originally Posted by tidegrandpa View Post
    Yeah, sorry, that wasn't my intent to be criticizing this team, I am just now glad that we are the more physical team with all the talent and can go against anyone in the country. One of our defensive tackles that year was 177 lbs. We were just out manned in this game and it was the National Title game.
    I wouldn't admit it at the time but the NC game was Nebraska-Oklahoma. We were a really good team but the Big 8 was that much better than everybody else then, sort of like the SEC today. Still I thought that any team of Bear's couldn't lose an NC game and that we were all the way back. I was rudely awakened. The boogs with Sullivan/Beasley got blown away by OK in the Sugar. Nebraska Oklahoma Colorado went 1 2 3 in the final poll and deserved it no matter what I wanted to believe.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  7. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    8,410
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    I think OU was the only team to even come close to beating Nebraska that yr in the 'game of the century'.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  8. #7
    BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    694

    Re: Bad memory but good to make one appreciate every minute of today's program...

    Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    I think OU was the only team to even come close to beating Nebraska that yr in the 'game of the century'.
    Yep. Unfortunately it was that year's 'game of the century' and not our game with them in the OB.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!